Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible GB: Wooden Cases

mfo

Hello LPF! I was wondering if perhaps I could get a group buy going. I found a carpenter who makes custom wood works to order. He even carves designs into boxes. I was thinking maybe we could all buy one for our pointers. Here are the prices.

One Box: $90 (Very steep)
Five Boxes: $235 (That's $47 each, more doable, but still steep)

So obviously the more we get the cheaper this will come out to be.

Below are some pics I attatched of what the carving will look like if you choose to use this option. The lighter picture is unpainted carving, the other is painted. I will get a final price once I get a definite number of orders, then we'll worry about the collecting of payment.

The boxes themselves will be a hinged little box, much like a jewelry box so to speak.

Please give me some feedback on this. Does this seem like it's worth doing? Too expensive? Too lame? Cheaper alternatives? Thanks LPF!

P.S. For painted carving, add $5 per box. Also, I do not have any felt to place inside of the box. I may work out this kink later on depending on how well this GB goes, however if I do decide to felt the insides of the box, do expect the price to rise a couple of dollars.

Attachments

• laser1.jpg
    laser1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 92
  • laser2.jpg
    laser2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0111.JPG
    DSCF0111.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 98

I would go to Michael's or some other arts & crafts store and get a plain wooden box for $5, and go to home depot for some nice varnish... A stencil and some spray paint for the design... and line the inside with some foam I have lying around.
For $47, I can get a solid pelican case (that will fit several lasers) and be fit for everyday use.
Not that these wooden cases aren't good... I think the price is too high (at least for me, since I can make these myself.)
What type of wood is being used, by the way?

I'd much rather go to O-LIKE, & buy an ALUMINUM BOX for $50.00 that will cradle ALL my pointers in soft foam padding. It's not as pretty as the custom wood boxes, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive, & the $$$ I save can buy me more laser goodies........rob

Like this wooden box?
Found it just siting in my garage.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 200