Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible first Phatlight torch? *Corrected: 2nd :) *

Things

OK well, I had a Phatlight LED laying around, and 2 torches. I decided I'd try mod the LED into one.

The torch originally used a P7, and 1 18650. $32.22 - Aurora AK-P7-4 HA-III SSC P7-C 2-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) - SSC Flashlights

The first problem I noticed was that the LED heatsink was the anode, while the casing of my torch is cathode. I just found a piece of mica and stuck it on the pill under the LED. Simple fix.

The next problem which hasn't been resolved, but is not a problem at the moment, is current.

The LED is being directly driven from the 18650 (Thru a resistor on low mode), and draws about 4A from the cell at 3.55V. I think this is a bit high for a cheap DX cell, or even good cells, however I have run it on high for a little while with no obvious heating to the battery. Problems may arise with fresh/freshly charged batteries however, so I will probably need some current limiting at some point. The hard part is the lack of space in the host.

Anyways, just some pictures:

The front contains the original torch reflector, but I also added a nice big lens from the projector to make the beam much tighter. As a result, I have a bit of an odd beam profile, but it doesn't really worry me, it's still bright!

DSCF2287.jpg

Low mode at about 30cm:

DSCF2290.jpg

High mode at about 2 metres:

DSCF2291.jpg

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

Things

Re: Possible first Phatlight torch?

OK, I stand corrected, 2nd phatlight torch :D

Yes, it's the same LED that he used. Good to see he's drawing that much power from a single 18650 without problems, I think I may be fine without current limiting then. I am pretty sure my batteries have protection circuitry anyway, provided it actually works :p

With the battery at 3.55V, the LED draws about 4A, which means it's running just above 1/2 power (Just above because of the higher voltage)

EDIT: The math

Currently running at:

3.55 * 4 = 14.2W

Rated input:

2.2 * 8 = 17.6W

Last edited: