Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible alternative driver for Neje 30W module?

solobeam

Applied 24v to the 12v module, and it shorted now, between plus ang ground.
There's little information on this new module, but it says, optical power is around 7.5w.
Want to ask, if there is possibly any alternative board with ttl/pwm control, which can be purchased or diy'ed.

solobeam

Here's the product page: aliexpress.com/item/4001288147936.html

Technical Parameters:
Module Input:20-30W
Optical power output:7.5W (7500mW)
Wavelength:445-450nm
Beam Shape:Dot (Focusable)
Working Voltage:DC 12V
TTL&PWM Modulation:YES, Compatible with Both TTL & PWM Modulation
Input Voltage:DC12V 3A
PWM/TTL Input:DC3.3V-12V

Guys, please, need to get this running, for the cutting/engraving ..
Also, how can I check, if the laser module itself is fine? I presume, it should be, as it has to be activated, after the power is applied to the board.

Here's more clear photo of the board ..

Last edited:

kecked

Replace ss54 and 62 ohm resistor next to it. Might have passed the 40v reverse voltage on it. Then it shorted closed when failed.

also it looks like the black lead burned. Can’t tell for certain in pic. Could also be flux. If so that could be the short.

Last edited:

solobeam

Soldered out the SS54 and the resistor, checked the diode, seems fine, voltage drop in one direction. The circuit remains shorted, with both unsoldered. Not that I know much about the electronics, but I presume, it's not the culprit then?
Which element you called black lead? If the sot23-6 one, there are no signs of the damage on it, might be just the photo. Carefully examined each element on the board, non has any signs of the damage.
Sadly my main two suspects, the sot23-6 and the large element under the diode (presume transistor or voltage regulator?) are the only ones where the markings have been erased by the manufacturer ...

kecked

Well then those parts are good. The black wire twisted with the red wire. Power? Not a lot of silicon on there. Bet then it’s the fet. Hard to tell. I just know I’ve had schottkey diodes fail shorted and that might have explained it. Was worth a look. If you can the shotgun change all silicon might work. Something got blown by the over voltage.

I wonder if a mean well led driver would be safe. They run higher voltage strings of leds.

solobeam

Red and black wires are to the fan. From what I understand, everything on the right, seems to do with the fan thermal control, not sure about the stc8g1k08a, perhaps the pwm/ttl control.

kecked

So if you need 30w driver and the voltage is 12v the module pulls 2.5A. Any laser driver designed to run at 12v or higher and supply 2-3A should work fine. You’ll have to run the fan manually.

this looks suitable

runs on 12v and is modulatable. Problem is it’s Vf+7v so for 11v string you need 18v.

nevermind won’t work.
Still a good driver to know about so I left this message anyway.

this ones expensive but runs 24v

look to see what else they have.

last is team wavelength. They are suppose to be lab grade but killed many of my diodes

solobeam

Voltage no problem, I will be running the engraver off the 24v control board.
Just tested the large transistor? with the multimeter, doesn't seem to be closed on any of the pads, the resistance in between the pads is close to Mohms. So, most likely the sot23-6 element one is shorted. Presume, it could be something similar to TPS565208 voltage regulator.

solobeam

Guys, just to be clear, I'm currently, based in Indonesia, due to the current world situation, I would prefer to order something locally. My last order from the Singapore, took 2 months to arrive.
So, checking the local market, found something, which could possibly work, as a temporarily measure.
Same module as here: aliexpress.com/item/1123871337.html

What do you think, will it work for my laser (including pwm control)? I can attach a larger radiator and run active fan, if needed.

gazer101

Guys, just to be clear, I'm currently, based in Indonesia, due to the current world situation, I would prefer to order something locally. My last order from the Singapore, took 2 months to arrive.
So, checking the local market, found something, which could possibly work, as a temporarily measure.

What do you think, will it work for my laser (including pwm control)? I can attach a larger radiator and run active fan, if needed.

I'd say yes, but make sure you test it using a dummy load before hooking it up to your laser to be 100% sure

solobeam

Thanks, ordered.
Being constant voltage/current step down, what exactly the pwm modulation does? Changes the current only or both?

94Z28

Not sure if you've already tried this but make sure you do extensive testing and monitor the start-up current. There is a very good possibility this driver will over-current on start-up. I don't see much to the circuit in the way of 'soft-start' which is required for most all laser drivers.

PWM sometimes keeps the current down on start-up, but if it allows the laser to flash full current on start-up it will die. Make sure you check the PWM and how well it works to regulate the output current with a similar test load first.