Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portable host for single module

So, I'm looking at getting a green laser. I will be buying a module of power somewhere between 100mW and 150mW. I don't want to deal with a duty cycle if I can avoid it, so I would like to go with a more sturdy host than a leadlight. Oh yeah, and I suck at soldering. So does anyone know where I can buy a relatively cheap host that will work for this?

Thanks,
Mark

Search the "Buy-Sell-Trade" thread for Jayrob's green DIY host - there are a couple of options he offers as to the actual host itself (if I recall they range from $55-75 shipped) and from the reviews, they are another top-notch Jayrob product ... Drop in one of Susies green modules and in like 15 minutes with only minimal soldering (a simple switch bypass) you're rocking and rolling!

That's way too expensive...

...If that's the only option, I'd rather pay 7% of that price for a leadlight.

-Mark

There are lots of options. You should get an O-like module and you can use it with the following:

Get a flashlight and have someone machine a heatsink for you.

Get a leadlight and get one of those pen heatsinks that DarkHorse (I think) makes.

Bypass the switch and use the Jasper Laser thing ($9 + shipping or something).

Bypass the switch and use the Galileo from Laserglow (the host by itself is $20).

Be creative and make something unique outta stuff from a hardware store.

Okay I took the first option- I'm having jake21 make me a heatsink and sell me a flashlight host.

What battery/batteries should I use for this? It says on the site that it can take 3.0-4.2V; is 2xAAA better, or 1xCR123 with a dead battery as a spacer, or what?

-Mark

Depends on the host - basically, that voltage range means any single lithium battery (CR123, 18650, whatever) or multiple in parallel (or blank battery as you said, just so long as the total voltage is low enough). You could also use 3 alkalines with a series diode to lower the voltage slightly. It all depends on what host you use.

Okay, I got the answer: it takes one 14500 battery. How long will the battery life last? (Oh, who cares? I'm buying 3 batteries and a charger...) I think this should be a safe voltage, I've heard they go up to 4.2 volts, which is the limit of the module. No problems right?

Also, how long should I charge these batteries for before fearing them blowing up in my face?

-Mark

It's not time, it's the voltage that the cells are charged to - over 4.2v and the battery takes damage or even burns. Just buy protected cells, and you won't have any of the risk associated. Most chargers should cut off at 4.2v nowadays, but over-discharging is another risk that the protected cells save you from.