Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

popping helium balloons?

Daedal

The idiocy involved with the possibility of damaging the laser from close proximity to water, along with the sudden reaction that made the person point the laser towards their face, makes this a very bad way to "pop" a water-balloon... ;D

It was done with a WL nonetheless ;)

--DDL

you know, i have to try that with a hydrogen balloon. maybe put a diy red on a stand and focus it, set up balloon, stand back and fire?

BlueFusion said:
you know, i have to try that with a hydrogen balloon. maybe put a diy red on a stand and focus it, set up balloon, stand back and fire?

emphasis on the stand back part ;)

King_K

Daedal said:
It was done with a WL nonetheless ;)
Um... I don't see how that affects the final result.

The video was made with a Wicked Lasers Phoenix, but that video isn't from Wicked Lasers, it's from an user who simply registered an account with the name "wickedlasers".

Because if the laser gets wet no one will care, It will probably work better after its wet anywaw :p

When i popped mine i sat it on a rock outside and set the waterbaloon like 6 ft away so it wouldnt get wet it works fine if only i had enuf power to pop it...

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Daedal

King K said:
[quote author=Daedal link=1195387596/15#16 date=1195893407]It was done with a WL nonetheless ;)
Um... I don't see how that affects the final result.

The video was made with a Wicked Lasers Phoenix, but that video isn't from Wicked Lasers, it's from an user who simply registered an account with the name "wickedlasers".[/quote]

:-? :-?
::) ::)

It has nothing to do with my point... I was simply stating...

Chill...

--DDL

BlueFusion said:
No part of it will ever become hot enough to achieve ignition. It wouldn't be impressive at all.

Tape a match to a white hydrogen-inflated balloon.
The balloon color keeps it from popping before the match is lit.
Once the match lights, it should produce enough heat to melt the balloon and ignite the gas...

And where does everyone expect to get Hydrogen anyway?

Oh... Hydrogen-Oxygen flames burn in the Ultraviolet range so you might not be able to see it. Or am I wrong?

The Hindenburg was quite visible.

RA_pierce said:
where does everyone expect to get Hydrogen anyway?

Electrolysis, of course. And even then, hydrogen won't be more impressive than propane. A stoichiometric mixture on the other hand would give one hell of a bang.

Benm

You could fill the balloon with H2/O2 mixture as generated by electrolysis. The bang will be much much louder compared to only hydrogen that has to mix with air containing only 20% oxygen first.

Setting off balloons full of H2/O2 mixture is not crazily dangerous, though it would recommend protection for both eyes and ears.

Krutz

Cyparagon said:
The Hindenburg was quite visible.

And even then, hydrogen won't be more impressive than propane. A stoichiometric mixture on the other hand would give one hell of a bang.

true, a mixture of 2 parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen by volume (thats what H2O, water is from) would explode quite violently.
But then pure Hydrogen is quite loud/powerful/fun/dangerous (depends on who you ask) as well! in chemistry-class we filled a plastic-cup with pure hydrogen and lit it on a tiny hole. small flame, sucking a bit hydrogen out, air leaks in. when there is enough air in it, it will explode very loud, too loud for indoors i would say. and that in a small cup, not really enclosed (cup turned upside down), with only air mixed in, and only as little air as necessary for it to burn.
so, mixed with pure oxygen? must be really extreme!
i hope noone will put leads of a powersupply in water (with a bit of salt), and collect the bubbles from plus (oxygen) and minus (hydrogen), since it would be the perfect and dangerous mixture! *grin*
no, seriously, read about it, before you think about it! it *IS* dangerous!

now for the important question: 2 parts hydrogen, would it be light enough to lift itself, one part oxygen, and a tiny bag (cellophane from cigarette-box?)? oh, and a match?

okay, enough of that! not sure what is more dangerous, 200mw lasers or hydrogen-oxygen-mixtures.. :)

manuel

C

Chris.

As for getting it to explode; I'd selotape a match to the baloon and aim for that!

The Hindenburg had other things like metal and other materials it was made of (including people) to account for the visibility of the flames. But still I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try Wikipedia later.

Propane is much cheaper and easier to acquire. If you want it to float, just tie it to a couple helium balloons.

Try doing that at night... Tie a couple propane balloons in with a few Helium balloons with flammable string or maybe a fuse... then before you let them fly off into the sky, light the fuse on the propane balloon. It should float up a few feet and as soon as the fuse burns down to the balloon... BANG! A big explosion in the night sky to set off car alarms and attract law enforcement officers.

No lasers involved, unless that's what you're using to light the fuse. Still sounds fun.
Just kidding! It's dangerous don't do it!

Benm

Krutz said:
so, mixed with pure oxygen? must be really extreme!
i hope noone will put leads of a powersupply in water (with a bit of salt), and collect the bubbles from plus (oxygen) and minus (hydrogen), since it would be the perfect and dangerous mixture! *grin*

We did exactly that in chemistry classes, but using soap. Just run the output gas of an electrolysis device trough some dishwashing soap in water, forming bubbles. You can safely ignite the bubbles with a match, resulting in a pretty loud but harmless bang for a bubble the size of an egg or so.

If you try this, make sure to take it slow, as you dont want to get a lot of foam, just a bubble at a time.

that's what you think... i know a few things i can coat the balloon with that will make a bit more of a bang... muahahaha!

how about acetylene and oxygen for one h*** of a boom. just dont do it in a building, do it outside for away from people.