Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Politics thread removed. Reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Both moderators and a lot of members felt the thread had become a cancer. I got many requests to shut it down and that outweighed the one that didn't. But Ears and eggs will be making a replacement to keep us in the loop of current events. This however is not an invitation to behave in the same way as the late politics thread. It will be moderated like any other thread.
I hope you find this decision well and a shout out to Mr. Oliver for making a record breaking thread. Hope everyone a good weekend. Thank you

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Almost as long as that welcome thread just because we had a female member join that time and everyone went crazy. :LOL:

Hi,
Well it's all said and done with.
Personally I liked reading the political different point of views. Folks voiced their opinions, I know sometimes it got out of hand but non the less it was entertaining. Red and Paul were hosts on the show with a long with others. I read the posts all the time every day in the morning with a cup of coffee.
Oh AT&T and Direct tvTV shut down OANN and Newsmax because of different opinions . Basically I think its a form of censorship in a small way. Some folks here are glad its gone , like I said I enjoyed it . This is the USA and folks have a choice.
Rich:)

julianthedragon

True Rich, it was kinda fun seeing the different POVs. You’re making me want to sip a cup of coffee while reading the forum

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It will most likely come back in some shape or form, this is just more of a break. It wasn't the first politics thread LPF has had, there have been at least half a dozen others over the years. Most of the others have since been abandoned or deleted.

Usually in a cycle like this where one starts around a US election, then goes until it just end up a few members beating a dead horse, then is closed/deleted until next election. 😆

What we were also discussing is having a current event thread that is just general discussion of events around the world, not just political, but general news discussion.

A current events thread would be good, it could include laser news as well, right now I read there's a Russian military ship of the US East coast in intentional waters, I've read that it's a war ship and also that it's a spy ship but I haven't seen anything about it on the television news.
Of course everyone knows about the growing list of weapons being sent to Ukraine.
Supposedly Ukraine has lost 100,000 men and Russia 100-150,000

And then there's this : https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/asia...arship-south-africa-china-intl-hnk/index.html

It will most likely come back in some shape or form, this is just more of a break. It wasn't the first politics thread LPF has had, there have been at least half a dozen others over the years. Most of the others have since been abandoned or deleted.

Usually in a cycle like this where one starts around a US election, then goes until it just end up a few members beating a dead horse, then is closed/deleted until next election. 😆

What we were also discussing is having a current event thread that is just general discussion of events around the world, not just political, but general news discussion.

I get tired of the dishonesty of politics, but everyone should know how dishonest politicians are and how we are bombarded with propaganda.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Could even be multiple threads to keep things better organized. Weather events, Russia-Ukraine War, US 2024 Election for example. Like we have the Space Discussion for just space stuff.

More potentially controversial topics though, I think we should keep in the Veterans area. This was my only real beef with the politics thread when it was in the open part of the forum. It was constantly at the top of the 'Recent posts' list and it did start to become a nasty skidmark on the underwear of LPF. That kind of thing can drive new members and guests away.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Moderating any thread is going to be a huge pain but we'll do the best we can. Thing is that it will be moderated like any other thread. Meaning you can get your shiny butt banned with repeated offenses. Please don't ruin the current events thread when it gets posted. I think only facts should be posted and if you want to debate them just pm each other and duke it out there or go to a dedicated forum for it.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hi,
Well it's all said and done with.
Personally I liked reading the political different point of views. Folks voiced their opinions, I know sometimes it got out of hand but non the less it was entertaining. Red and Paul were hosts on the show with a long with others. I read the posts all the time every day in the morning with a cup of coffee.
Oh AT&T and Direct tvTV shut down OANN and Newsmax because of different opinions . Basically I think its a form of censorship in a small way. Some folks here are glad its gone , like I said I enjoyed it . This is the USA and folks have a choice.
Rich:)
I get that about choice but we also have rules. Freedom of choice does not negate that. But like we said we will have a current events thread. As long as it's kept civil it should please everyone.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Asking paul to only post facts is like asking a monkey to throw only dry poo and then the monkey throws wet turds and argues about how dry they were, how they could have been much wetter and what the word dry really means......much like this, it's a joke.
These kind of comments will not be allowed. No personal attacks and I cannot stress this enough

Maxwel III

"Politics & Religion" always a nicht-nicht. I felt a bit odd/ uncomfortable mentioning RC Tanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.