Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pointing lasers in the sky?

Is it legal to point them in the sky in the U.S.?
I have a nice 20mW green laser I just got this week. I'm amazed at how visible the beam is at night.

I would never point this at any aircraft. I'm just worried that since their is usually more than a few planes in my night sky. San Francisco Bay Area California. A pilot may decide just to call it in.

To me and my view of the laser beam. It looks like it goes for miles.
I'm sure that is not the case as in reality the beam is probably only visible for a few hundred yards.

yea everytime you point a laser in the air you are taking a chance i dont think its illegal
but as soon as it gets near an aircraft your screwed be very very carefull I live across the street from a small airport so basically i cannot use my lasers outside --please make sure the sky is clear

and yes a green laser usually goes for 2-10 miles easy -my rpl 375 went 6 miles no problem -so be carefull i believe it could easily go 50-75 miles and be seen

Last edited:

k1kb0t

They will call it in if they see it. I cannot use mine outside my home because their is an airport nearby.