Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pls help me identify this galvo/stepper

greshi

Hi guys, I´m quite new into lasers, I build few simple laser shows and now I decided to move forward and build an x-y scanner. So I bought pair of this (photo below) motors with fs mirror mounted on it. But now I´don´t know which driver should I buy or build to control it. I was digging whole internet to find something at least similar to this, but I was unable to find any motor used in x-y scanner with two pins as this one.

So here are questions:

Is this galvo or stepper?
Could you recommend me some driver which I can use to control these motors?

That looks more like a 2 position mirror actuator than a galvo.
It is not a stepper since it has only 2 control wires for the
(I'm guessing) simple solenoid coil.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

This is a strange thing, I never saw this before!

This is not a stepper motor, as it only has 2 wires...

That's the 2nd post that you have made in a Thread repeating
what I posted....:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

greshi

thanks for replys. i already get it working :) with audio signal through amplifier(like hdd voicecoils). i´m generating audio signal in frequency generator, so i can have some control, but it´s quite unconfortable.

Is there any software which enables me to generate patterns directly from audio signal?

I want to keep it as simple as possible - Pc => Amplifier => Actuator

I have 2 pairs of these "actuators" so at least one pair i want to use for building xy scanner.

Until now I used this "shoe box laser" (loudspeaker with ballon over it and mirror) and if get xy scanner working it gonna be big jump for me.

So if anybody can give me some tips, I´ll be really glad.

Last edited:

Things

Look up "laserboy". It's a program that will allow you to draw images and save them to WAV files, which you can play back. Note though that the quality of the image isn't going to be great, due to the output coupling and any additional processing the soundcard might do, but it'll work somewhat.

There is also spaghette (replace the e with an i, trying to bypass the filter :p) that'll output to sound cards, but it's not free. But it's good if you want to make up animations or shows, as laserboy is a basic frame creator, so does not really allow animation.

Last edited:
greshi I seen them on ebay a few months ago for sale, gotta be some of the largest galvo mirrors I hav seen!
I would try to replace them with some equally long yet skinnier mirrors.
Let us know/see how they work out for you!