Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please help me!

Hi this is my first post and it is also a last resort because I can’t find a solution to this anywhere else on the internet, but you guys/gals seem to know what you’re doing. I have a green <200 mw laser pointer with a wavelength of 532 mn, the problem I’m having is that while I was cleaning my laser with a q-tip one of the lenses popped out, so I took it apart and took out the loose lense and put it to the side (I still have it). I reassembled the laser and it still works, but when I pointed it at a wall that was more than 2 feet away from me it looked like a green flashlight. I added some pictures to help you understand my problem better because I am not very good at explaining. So I was wondering if there was anyway to reattach the lense without having to go to a store and buy a piece for it. I have superglue and duct tape but I haven’t tried either of these because I didn’t want to make things worse. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix it. This is the first real laser I’ve ever had besides all the dollar store cat toy laser pointers.
Thanks, Jack
p.s. sorry for the bad quality pictures, I’m took from my iPhone and had to resize them all to 800x600

Attachments

• DCE390C4-9FEF-4654-AD13-DAACCB686D54.jpeg
    DCE390C4-9FEF-4654-AD13-DAACCB686D54.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 6FEB8AEB-522D-4ED5-89F0-39F776B8F922.jpeg
    6FEB8AEB-522D-4ED5-89F0-39F776B8F922.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 36
  • F597EDA5-E314-41C9-A67C-9CB45FD1713A.jpeg
    F597EDA5-E314-41C9-A67C-9CB45FD1713A.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 790EAD16-2E6D-4D1B-9E1A-0895C0758DFE.jpeg
    790EAD16-2E6D-4D1B-9E1A-0895C0758DFE.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 3E8FE36E-BC5B-434C-ADC8-B7F992A29A32.jpeg
    3E8FE36E-BC5B-434C-ADC8-B7F992A29A32.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 38
  • 52F0A013-E16E-4D3F-B60D-C4C2007EB968.jpeg
    52F0A013-E16E-4D3F-B60D-C4C2007EB968.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 39

diachi

Hi this is my first post and it is also a last resort because I can’t find a solution to this anywhere else on the internet, but you guys/gals seem to know what you’re doing. I have a green <200 mw laser pointer with a wavelength of 532 mn, the problem I’m having is that while I was cleaning my laser with a q-tip one of the lenses popped out, so I took it apart and took out the loose lense and put it to the side (I still have it). I reassembled the laser and it still works, but when I pointed it at a wall that was more than 2 feet away from me it looked like a green flashlight. I added some pictures to help you understand my problem better because I am not very good at explaining. So I was wondering if there was anyway to reattach the lense without having to go to a store and buy a piece for it. I have superglue and duct tape but I haven’t tried either of these because I didn’t want to make things worse. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix it. This is the first real laser I’ve ever had besides all the dollar store cat toy laser pointers.
Thanks, Jack
p.s. sorry for the bad quality pictures, I’m took from my iPhone and had to resize them all to 800x600

Welcome.

Yes, it'll look like a flashlight without the collimating lens in place.

Neither superglue nor duct tape are suitable. Superglue tends to fog up your optics when it out-gasses, making them useless. You can try it if you want, but don't expect good results. It might work, it might completely ruin your laser. Buy some 2-part epoxy, much better for optics. Actually, UV cure epoxy is where it's at but that's a little harder to come by.

That said, it looks like you have a JD-850 style pointer which retails for about $5. A new laser would probably be cheaper than some 2-part epoxy.

A replacement can be found here: https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_113497.html

Last edited:

Keaton

I suggest you just buy a new laser, it looks pretty cheap and would probably just be easier to get a new one

Gazen

I know there are lots of replacements out there but I’m only 14... so I don’t have a credit card or PayPal or anything like that and my parents won’t buy me a new one.

Since you don’t have access to these, perhaps try to find epoxy at a hardware store, or you could buy a gift card with cash. You might be able to convince your dad to get you some :)

Also, technically you must be 18 to have an account here, so try to avoid broadcasting the fact that you are underage. Good luck fixing your lens.

Last edited:

GSS

A bit late but can't you just pop the lens back in without any glue, as it sounds like you pushed it out with the Qtip?
If its still loose maby you can try to shim the side of with something laying around. You would have to cut any excess away. I wouldn't think heat is an issue?

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

It would be appreciated if you would introduce
yourself to the members in the Welcome section
so that members can learn a little about you.

It would also be helpful to members if you included
your Global location in your Profile...

Jerry

Hi Heat,
Get a news paper route and save to buy another one. If your only 14 yrs old , you should be at least 18 yrs old to bee here. And as that goes introduce yourself first.

Rich:)

Hello, HeatWwave. You sure took it apart far more than was necessary. These collimating lenses are often held in place with a spot of glue.....not cyanoacrylate. A tiny bit of fast curing two part epoxy works well for this. You might also have some luck trying to use a shim, as others have suggested. The part that the lens sits in should have slots for adjusting it after it is replaced.

Hi Heat Wave did you fix your laser yet?? let me know i will help you out

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Heat, you've been given some great advice for retaining your lens after you re-install it, but regarding that 2ft. beam diameter, are you sure that when you replaced the lens, you didn't insert it backwards? :thinking:

diachi

Hi Heat, you've been given some great advice for retaining your lens after you re-install it, but regarding that 2ft. beam diameter, are you sure that when you replaced the lens, you didn't insert it backwards? :thinking:

Doesn't sound like he replaced it yet, installing it backwards may negatively affect divergence but not to that extent.

Hopefully he replies soon. :thinking:

Yes I already tried putting the lense in both ways but it just shakes around I can’t get it stay still

diachi

Yes I already tried putting the lense in both ways but it just shakes around I can’t get it stay still

Get some quick cure 2 part epoxy. It's handy stuff to have on hand anyway, useful for loads of stuff. I used some to fix a sewing machine a couple of months ago.

I use this stuff, or similar: LePage 5-minute Epoxy Adhesive Syringe, 25-mL | Canadian Tire

You don't need much at all. Mix the adhesive on a scrap piece of card/cardboard using a toothpick. Apply where required using the toothpick. You only need a very small amount. If you use too much you risk getting it on the lens faces or in other places you don't want it to be.

If you use something like that keep in mind that it doesn't cure completely in 5 minutes, even though the "sets in 5 minutes" description suggests that is the case. It takes 5 minutes for it to start curing. You need to leave it for 1 hour for it to be usable and 24 hours for it to be fully cured.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Hi, As diachi said lepage is the french version of locktite or JB Weld you can get here in the states