Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please help me! (i need driver to 2W 445nm diode)

Tmack

Oh and remember our conversation about inspecting the diode with a microscope for anything foreign on the diode window. I was using a high tension spring that must have had too rough of an edge. When I focused the laser it was leaving trace amount of copper shavings inside the module ( apparently ) . Eventually the filings built up on the window enough to drastically effect the performance of the diode rendering it useless because the shavings were now stained on the window. I got to watch a diode melt itself. Watching the raw output on the wall it looked like a slow motion pebble dropped into a pond. It rippled toward the outside of the light and eventually just stopped all output. R.I.P. I wish I could have at least recorded what it looked like while dying. Bt it's surely something I won't forget.

It can be something as simple as a dead battery, or what Tmack said. Check all your connections,
switch(es), batteries, and measure the actual current from the driver with a dummy load. If it does end up
being the diode, then it will need to be replaced. Are you observing all proper ESD precautions?

Ok. Thank you for everybody! And can anybody tell me exectly how much mA would be the ideal? The diode is 2W and the driver is 1W

Thank you so much for posting this diagram, i have fully understood dummy load testing however this is the first time i have managed to find the info on how many diodes i would need to connect for a 445nm LD. Excellent as i have 1N4001 diodes and a 5W 1ohm resistor :) simply solder the 6 diodes and the resistor in series, no circuit board needed at all, too easy :) if all go's well we will be spinning a cone into the sky tonight! Happy New Year everyone...