Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

playing with propane balloons and lasers

in my video, the plan was to pop the balloon filled with pure propane with my x-65 laser. the propane would be ignited by the flame by the balloon. the fireball would then light off the bag filled with a stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. (i got the gas from an electrolysis cell. a big bang would reslult. the problem was that the fireball didnot melt through the baggy. otherwise, it was a lot of fun. :)

soon, more of this kind of stuff will come

Attachments

• laser_pops_balloon.mpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 65

i know, i'm an experenced fire bug ;) and have yet to be burned badly. i am very careful when using flammable gasses.

i could of used acetylene and oxygen, but that idea scares the you know what out of me.

Daedal

;D

That was a VERY loud bang! Glad I had my speakers reasonably low ;) ;D

Nice plan and amazing flame nonetheless :D

--DDL

Great video. I've done that with a hydrogen balloon, there wasn't any oxygen in the balloon so it wasn't near as loud as yours.

charleytown55il said:
i know, i'm an experenced fire bug ;) ...

LOL I think I would have gathered that from the vid even if you hadn't said so.

Those don't ALL look like oil-spots on the garage floor. :D

If you plan on doing more of those, I would suggest moving those gas cans out of your garage. Though...hmm..it would make a good video, just not a good financial situation. ;)

Sweet video ;D! Who doesn't love a good explosion or two every now and again ;)?

If you ever try oxyacetylene, be careful (which I can tell you are by your googles and earmuffs) and do it outside (it would cause your ears to ring even with muffs inside), but definitely tape it and put it up here.

A long time ago when I was pretty young, my dad filled up a quart ziploc bag, put some cannon fuse into it, and lit it off in our back yard. I was about 10 yards away up in my treehouse with my ears covered, and it was still extremely loud. We had all our neighbors for a few houses down wondering what had happened because it was so loud it shook their windows :D!

It's really fun, but one spark from static and you're screwed, so it scares the crap out of me too. Good luck if you try it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

if i did not live in town and have crappy neighbors, i would do that out side. if i really did light of an oxy-acetylene balloon outside, the cops would be at my house thinking im playing with bombs. i have yet to be arrested and dont plan to start now. ;)