Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Planning First Build Project.

1up

I'm planning my first build project and looking for a housing, Convoy have the S2 [led torch host] requires an 18650 and looks great, although I've yet to work out what all will be required to adapt/modify the host.

My initial research has not been thorough and no doubt more hosts exist and as for right now, I'm thinking...buy a dedicated host and use this as a reference for a future projects.

Also unless I've not looked properly, does the forum have a section/subsection for Host/components discussion, for a newb like myself this would help streamline things.

Which laser diode are you planning to use? That is more important than anything else as far as which host to use.

1up

Ok.....

e.g

50mW Green Laser Module (Spring and Wire Connections)

DSC01794_m.jpg

Or

50mW Green (520nm) Adjustable Focus Direct Diode Dot Laser Module 3V (12mm)

Slide63_m.jpg

Odicforce also have some handy newb info Building a Laser Module - Guide to Assembling our Module Kits

And to start, nice and cheap! I'm buying 30mW Bin Green Laser Module to go along with Laser Pen Host/Body

Slide05_m.jpg

Laser Pen Host/Body

Slide056_m.jpg

And then once I've built up some more knowledge, then I'll start thinking about a 100% custom component build

All of those are 12 mm in diameter. So, you can use any host heat sink that takes that size module. None of these will have to expend a lot of heat, so just about any host with even a small heat sink will suffice. You could get by with a 501B flashlight host which you should be able to find for under $20.00. They pop up every so often for $15.00 each.

Hi 1,
Here is a Cone bezel 501B with a machined heat sink and focus adapter , prewired for drop in build.
$30.00 + shipping in the US.

Rich:)

Rich:)fullsizeoutput_955.jpegfullsizeoutput_951.jpegfullsizeoutput_952.jpegfullsizeoutput_961.jpegfullsizeoutput_962.jpegfullsizeoutput_963.jpeg

I'm mid build in a Convoy S2+ host at the moment - The reason I picked it is because it fits the 20mm module size from DTR very nicely - and all I needed do to couple the module to the case is to:
1. Drill a hole in the driver pill (brass) to let the diode pins through.
2. glue the front half of the DTR 20mm module to the brass threaded driver pill
3. shim it with some copper sheet stock and appropriate thermal grease to couple it (if you need to thermally)

Unfortunately, the issue with this host is that to do this you need to solder to a diode directly to the driver - no ability to use assembled modules. So there's way more margin for screwing it up (as I have done) One replacement PL520B diode so far and I hope to god I don't kill another as they're £30-40 each...

Best bet for a first build is probably not the S2 but it's a nice host regardless. Definitely don't regret it - though I can't say i felt that way when I killed my first PL520B...

Attachments

• IMG_20181028_172434.jpg
    IMG_20181028_172434.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181028_172445.jpg
    IMG_20181028_172445.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20181028_172631.jpg
    IMG_20181028_172631.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
Ok if the 20mm module sits on the brass pill and then you screw on the front bezel see if its snug and nothing rattle around. If that works you won't have to glue the module to the pill as long as it makes contact solid for the grounding path. Then solder your wires to the right pins and use heat shrink to cover the pins leave enough wire so you can work easily . pretin the wire ends and the polarity holes on the driver . Soldering takes a few seconds practice with two pieces of wire over and over till you get the feel and dont over heat .

Hi,
Ok if the 20mm module sits on the brass pill and then you screw on the front bezel see if its snug and nothing rattle around. If that works you won't have to glue the module to the pill as long as it makes contact solid for the grounding path. Then solder your wires to the right pins and use heat shrink to cover the pins leave enough wire so you can work easily . pretin the wire ends and the polarity holes on the driver . Soldering takes a few seconds practice with two pieces of wire over and over till you get the feel and dont over heat .

Already glued it up and was almost done, ended up killing the diode either with ESD or an intermittent connection on initial powerup - discussed it with RedCowboy on the forum chat when I did it... Module's about 2mm too short to make contact with the front of the host, but I'm going to make an aluminium spacer for the front (and probably get one of the SurvivalLaser extended focus rings...)

Hi,
Red is a very knowledgeable member and will never steer you wrong. The way you build is a learning experience and in time you will acquire the do's and don't's .Dont feel bad we have all lost many diodes and drivers here. You will eventually find the way to produce a great build with no efforts in time. We have a search bar and it's full of info on many many topics refering to owe hobby.
But must of all be safe ,dont rush a build and use the proper safety glasses for you WL.
When your done with your build post a thread on it with some pics.Always enjoyed here at LPF..

Thanks Lifetime - I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to share my experiences about the S2 host to 1up!