Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer DVR-111DBK diodes...

Quisp

Hi there-

While taking out the trash yesterday, I found a junked Pioneer DVR-111DBK drive laying on the ground. Having never "harvested" before, I thought tearing this thing apart and finding the diodes would be fun. It kinda was.

Anyway, the pictures below show the two diodes I found in this drive. I'm believe one is probably a red LCC diode and the other an IR diode, but I don't really know for sure or which is which. I searched around for info on this drive, but didn't really find much.

Based on my pictures, can anyone identify these two diodes? Once I know for sure what they are, I can probably figure out how best to use them.

Mark

PioneerDVR111DBKDiodes1.jpg

PioneerDVR111DBKDiodes2.jpg

PioneerDVR111DBKDiodes3.jpg

PioneerDVR111DBKDiodes4.jpg

DAMN!!! Those are some insane macros!!! I can't help as far as the diode, but I wanted to atleast complement your pics. Those are ridiculous!

So these diodes have something inscribed on the outside of the can (the long one, at least). Ever get around to looking it up on the internet?

I will say that the trapezoidal die shape on the long one looks like someone's signature here on LPF, so it is probably a well-known diode... Probably that LCC you were thinking.

I'm believe one is probably a red LCC diode and the other an IR diode
If you didn't happen to know what LCC stands for, it's Long Closed Can diode. I think it's pretty obvious which is the LCC in these pictures ;)
Another way to tell is by the AR coating on the window. On IR diodes, the coating will be a very pale, light blue. On red diodes, the coating is a very deep blue.

On my red/IR diodes, there is no glass lens. None of them have one, not even the IR from a GGW sled had one.

Quisp

So these diodes have something inscribed on the outside of the can (the long one, at least). Ever get around to looking it up on the internet?

I will say that the trapezoidal die shape on the long one looks like someone's signature here on LPF, so it is probably a well-known diode... Probably that LCC you were thinking.

Wow...I didn't see an inscription before on the longer can/short lead diode... Good call...Thanks.
It reads, "AA1 646G". whatever that means...;)
The shorter-can/long lead diode has no inscription at all.

If you didn't happen to know what LCC stands for, it's Long Closed Can diode. I think it's pretty obvious which is the LCC in these pictures ;)
Another way to tell is by the AR coating on the window. On IR diodes, the coating will be a very pale, light blue. On red diodes, the coating is a very deep blue.

I knew what LCC stood for, but I wasn't sure if the IR diode had a longer or shorter can in comparison.

Only my longer-can diode has a window (the bluish refection you see in one of my pics). The shorter-can diode is windowless.

pHeneX

DVR-111DBK

Max. 16x writing speed for DVD-R/+R*

Sounds like LCC to me, dunno which one of the diodes it is though.
But if i had to guess, i would say its the longer one. Just try it out with a low current like 60-80mA.

Quisp

Mystery solved...Mostly...;)

I hooked each diode up to a rckstr @120mA with a 9V battery.

Although both diodes glowed red, the longer canned diode was far brighter than the shorter canned diode.

Interestingly, this web site ( Types of lasers - Laser Wiki ) shows a closed can diode next to a penny that looks exactly like my shorter canned "IR diode."

Unless convinced otherwise, I'll go with the LCC assumption for my longer canned diode.

Thanks for the input y'all.