Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Pictures] 405nm 1.5V AAA "<5mW"

Hey all, I figured I take some time off of writing papers for school to do a review on my new laser pointer. It's a neat little thing I have here, it runs off of a single AAA battery. I know that's nothing new, but its interesting none the less! I just pooled up some spare change and thought I'd take a chance on this laser.

Here's the link to the laser

Amazon.com: 5mw 405nm Astronomy Powerful Blue/violet Laser Pointer (Include gift box + AAA batteries): Electronics

6663236153_6bac331ddb_z.jpg

It came in a nice storage case. Its the same one they use for the single cell 532nm's that have a diffraction head. But this one just has an empty hole since there are no interchangeable heads for it.

6663242017_4e4325a220_z.jpg

It has a flat, polished metal head to it. I like this design better than the matte silver, rounded off ones that are standard on most NewWish pens.

6663266327_3dde171cc0_z.jpg

6663247867_e6f68aa997_z.jpg

Shiny :D

6663260113_5ca5f50f66_z.jpg

As you can see its about half the size of the NewWish pens. It feels well built and the only thing that rattles a tiny bit is the metal button. But that's always going to be true on cheapie laser pointers.

The beam seems to be focused to a point about 5 feet away from the aperture.... this makes for a thin beam up close...

6663272141_ce77c3cf8c_z.jpg

(NewWish 2xAAA on left, 1xAAA Host on the left)

...but it is horribly unfocused at a distance (about 20 feet)

6663508657_a40e1e892f_z.jpg

The output on this is definitely not, if at all, as overspec as a 2xAAA pen, maybe its because the single AAA battery can't supply enough current to the driver. I want to try putting a 10440 in this host to see if it changes anything, but probably won't do so until I read up on if anyone has done that.

Specs
Power Source: 1x AAA Batery
Labeled Output: <5mW
Estimated Output: 5mW-10mW

So for about $13, I'm happy. I have a low power 405nm pointer in a nice compact size that I can hand to someone without being too concerned for the safety of everyone in the near vicinity. Plus if I get bored of it, I can gut it and test what the driver can do!

Thanks for viewing :D

Last edited:

You don't want to use a lithium ion cell on a driver for 1x Alkaline cell.

Tried that. I didn't know a transistor can turn into a miniature smoke machine that doubles as bright orange LED. It was fun, thought.

Have you tried measuring the current?
How long does the battery last?

You don't want to use a lithium ion cell on a driver for 1x Alkaline cell.

Tried that. I didn't know a transistor can turn into a miniature smoke machine that doubles as bright orange LED. It was fun, thought.

Have you tried measuring the current?
How long does the battery last?

Alright thanks for the tip on the 10440! Saved me this laser, you did!

I haven't figured out how to measure tail-cap current. All the threads I've read have been confusing and poorly written. But as soon as I figure it out, I'll post the measurements.

As for battery life I've had the same battery in it for about 3 days now and I've used it for quite a while, I'd say upwards of 20-25 minutes total. I assume the current draw is low, since no effect has been had and the battery has remained at just under 1.4V

To measure the current, simply connect the end of the battery to the host - but instead of using tailcap for that, use your Multimeter. Set it in current mode (either 200mA or 10A, for latter setting you will need to plug the probes into another socket).

Touch the end of the battery with one probe, and host with another - make sure you have the side button pressed on, and when you do perform this measurement, take not that the laser WILL be turned on - current must be flowing through it to be measured.

Let me know how it goes, or if you need any further help.

ped

That colour looks like 445nm...bust be a camera thing.

You should take a picture of a true 445nm, see what that comes out like :)

That colour looks like 445nm...bust be a camera thing.

You should take a picture of a true 445nm, see what that comes out like :)

Unfortunately I don't have any 445's! I have an empty chrome pocket mini host with a FlexDrive in it just waiting for me to order a diode. That and a CPU heatsink I drilled out which also would work well.

Once I get a diode, I'll probably do some comparison shots of 445 vs 405 on a fluorescent surface