Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Physics Professor Let Me Use LPM

julianthedragon

I am currently taking physics at university (electronics, magnets, optics). Last week I learned my professor's area of research is with lasers, so naturally I told her I was interested. Today I brought three handhelds to the lab and measured the lower powered ones on an LPM for the first time.

I measured my 473nm Aurora model from DragonLasers and 532nm Altair from Laserglow, both DPSS and rated <5mw.
473nm is pulsed output so I'm not sure how that affects the measurement. (Can someone tell me if the Aurora model is the same as Laserglow's Aquarius since they have the same host and both companies are CNI resellers? If that's the case, it's pulsed at 700hz)
Both lasers had a decent amount of battery left but not full charge.

IMG_1352.JPGIMG_1355.JPG
532 measured at ~3.3mw and 473 measured ~2.8mw

I'm happy they are both under 5mw as advertised and both seemed relatively stable. I wish I had a picture actually using the LPM but I was in a hurry and forgot to take one

Hopefully I can continue to take advantage of opportunities like this while I'm in school and discover more about lasers hands-on

Last edited:

Hopefully I can continue to take advantage of opportunities like this while I'm in school and discover more about lasers hands-on
Cool! It's nice that you were able to get one of those Dragonlasers 473 before they became so difficult to find.
How long have you had that laser?

Depending on what you want to do with your education, these kinds of connections with professors can be useful. If you are looking for experience in a lab or with research, it's a good idea to express that interest to potential mentors. Professors at research universities are often looking for enthusiastic and motivated students to join their labs to help with research projects.

julianthedragon

Cool! It's nice that you were able to get one of those Dragonlasers 473 before they became so difficult to find.
How long have you had that laser?

I've had it since early 2013! Easily still one of my favorites years later despite the price.

I don't know exactly what I want to do with my education yet but I am definitely interested in building connections like that. I'm planning on possibly doing some research next semester. Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can get in on any laser related projects.