Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T Diode....Dropped.

How much shock can a blu-ray diode take? I'm afraid to say I dropped my diode onto a wooden floor from about waist height...It was still wrapped in some Anti-ESD foil, but no bubble wrapping or anything.... :'(

I don't have the other parts for my laser so I have no idea how to test to see if its okay. What do you guys think? Will it be okay?

None of the pins fell out or anything. The lens appears fine.

First, check to make sure the front glass window is still intact. If it is, I think that the best way to find out if it is still good would be to hook it up. However, if the front glass is not intact, do not turn it on. You have a few options for what to do if that's broken, but you need to deal with that before powering up the diode.

If the window is OK assume the LD is OK and treat it in the usual way. Do not be tempted to attach it to a battery "to see if it works" as the voilet flash you see may be its last....

Regards rog8811

Geneticz said:
How much shock can a blu-ray diode take? I'm afraid to say I dropped my diode onto a wooden floor from about waist height...It was still wrapped in some Anti-ESD foil, but no bubble wrapping or anything.... :'(

I don't have the other parts for my laser so I have no idea how to test to see if its okay. What do you guys think? Will it be okay?

None of the pins fell out or anything. The lens appears fine.

I've never had a diode die from dropping it (I have dropped several in the past) so I'd go with what everyone else is saying in it's ok to power up so long as the window isn't broken.

If it is broken you can try getting the can off and removing the glass shards before applying power