Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photoreactive fluids

Hello! I'm working on some laser/led sculptures somewhat reminiscent of these works by artist Norman Ballard (it actually won't let me post the link because my post count is too low but I will try to post it in the comments:

I'm looking for a way to get the fluid to be photoreactive with different wavelengths. I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on different ways of accomplishing that effect in a fluid and whether whatever would be needed would be able to stay in suspension for a long period of time or if it would need to be constantly swirled to achieve the effect.

Let me know if you have any bits of wisdom to share!

Try putting olive oil on top of tonic water with a 405nm. Tonic water will be blue and olive oil is red I think.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Fluorescein and it's derivatives work very well. For something cheaper and more available try a bit of Tide detergent in water. A 405 will light that up like blue neon.

Awesome thanks for the ideas. Guess I'll probably be doing some experimenting with different ways of changing the opacity of fluids so they show the beams even if not actually fluorescing under the light.

One more question regarding the project but not necessarily the dyes/fluid. The vessels containing the fluid will be blown glass, that I imagine even if polished may be too irregular to successfully transmit an undistorted laser beam. For this reason I'm planning on poking a hole in the bottom of the vessel and securing a lens that will not alter the beam at all where the laser will be entering the vessel. Can anyone link me to maybe a 1 inch lens or so that will simply allow undistorted transmission of the beam through into the vessel? I will be using collimated, circular, and linear lenses so I'm not sure if that makes it a different challenge.

Appreciate all your help!

Encap

One more question regarding the project but not necessarily the dyes/fluid. The vessels containing the fluid will be blown glass, that I imagine even if polished may be too irregular to successfully transmit an undistorted laser beam. For this reason I'm planning on poking a hole in the bottom of the vessel and securing a lens that will not alter the beam at all where the laser will be entering the vessel. Can anyone link me to maybe a 1 inch lens or so that will simply allow undistorted transmission of the beam through into the vessel? I will be using collimated, circular, and linear lenses so I'm not sure if that makes it a different challenge.

Appreciate all your help!
Please do not double and triple post back to back---annoyng very frowned upon---use edit and combine posts or comments.

You can see lenses of all sizes and tyoes at Edmond optics: https://www.edmundoptics.com/

You ought to test some of this imagnary "art" idea before you spend/waste a lof of time and money on Lava Lamps on steroids.

You are on you own putting a hole in a blown glass vessel and mounting a lens and water/liquid proof seal. Does not sound like a bright idea easily possible abd successful on the surface of it.
Glass will not distort laser light any more than any other kind of light.

If people will be exposed to lasers with whatever this is you better be safe and not use any laser with an output greater than 5mW legal limit.

"Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.
21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R." see: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...rtant-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of the double posting taboo -- sorry!

Yes, I'm confident in my fabrication abilities and extremely familiar with laser safety precautions and safe beam terminations. The beams will not just be shooting into the air, they will terminate at the end of the container. I have laser safety certifications and have taken classes with ILDA and the state of New York on laser safety and operation so please let's avoid having the safety spray down, although I appreciate the motivation.

I'm asking technical questions that I need answers to in order to continue conceptualizing an art piece that will be safely and legally executed in a private residence. I'm happy to spend some money on studio time in a glass studio to try and make that a reality and don't really consider that a waste. All art is imaginary until it is created.

Appreciate you providing a link to an optics supplier though, that is definitely helpful! I may be able to get away with just polishing the glass after I blow it and still get the effect that I need.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
As long as the beam is terminated within the display I think this could qualify as a class 1 laser device.

And yeah, lava lamp on steroids. Putting beams through fluids is something most of us have probably played with. But people will pay stupid amounts of $ for something that looks cool they can call art. Go figger'.

Charge them handsomely Dogfish'!

Don't really have too many capitalist intentions with this, just want to create something cool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lava lamp on steroids! What's wrong with that???

Last edited:

Encap

Wasn't aware of the double posting taboo -- sorry!

Yes, I'm confident in my fabrication abilities and extremely familiar with laser safety precautions and safe beam terminations. The beams will not just be shooting into the air, they will terminate at the end of the container. I have laser safety certifications and have taken classes with ILDA and the state of New York on laser safety and operation so please let's avoid having the safety spray down, although I appreciate the motivation.

I'm asking technical questions that I need answers to in order to continue conceptualizing an art piece that will be safely and legally executed in a private residence. I'm happy to spend some money on studio time in a glass studio to try and make that a reality and don't really consider that a waste. All art is imaginary until it is created.

Appreciate you providing a link to an optics supplier though, that is definitely helpful! I may be able to get away with just polishing the glass after I blow it and still get the effect that I need.
Agree just polishing or making a relatively flat window while blowing the glass would be easier.

Then you know by current FDA definition lights show projectors are limited to 5mW without a "variance" as well.
Sept 28, 2020 "Laser projectors and laser light shows are “demonstration laser products” as defined by 21 CFR 1040.10(b)(13):
“Demonstration laser product means a laser product manufactured, designed, intended, or promoted for purposes of demonstration, entertainment, advertising display, or artistic composition.”
Lasers promoted for entertainment purposes or amusement also meet FDA’s definition for “demonstration laser products.”
Laser products promoted for demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation 21 CFR 1040.11(c). This means that projectors are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers
For yourself in your home or showing in your residence --output power doesn't matter to FDA ." https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...-and-entertainment-products/laser-light-shows

That being said - you could get one of the 5mW RGB mini and legal laser projector and marry it up with a blown glasss fluid filled vessel and create all sorts of patterns and effects in whatever fluids. Something lke this <$60: https://www.amazon.com/Chims-Portab...P8062S0QFZN&psc=1&refRID=7E82SXAG1P8062S0QFZN
Just a thought. In any case, good luck.

Last edited: