Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Phone ideas?

Yes Virgin Mobile was selling the iPhones, they just discontinued them for some reason in just recent days and aren't going to sell the iPhone 6 for some reason. Probably because they are too expensive for a prepaid plan and not enough people will buy a phone for several hundred dollars or more.

Alan

Yeah, if you buy the phone yourself you can, in theory, put any plan you want on it. I would double check because *some* carriers will try and sell you an "iPhone" or "Smartphone" plan, but if you just buy a sim card from the carrier you want, you should be able to choose whatever plan you want and put the sim into any phone thats unlocked or on the carrier you choose.

As for the phone you linked.. its Okay at best. It has decent reviews, but its specs weren't high when it came out, so theres the possibility of it being left behind fairly soon.

That iPhone 5 would be a better bet, its still fairly recent, and it will have its usable life extended because its internals are the same as the iPhone 5C, which came out only last year. I have an iPhone 5S and its the best phone I've owned in the last 8 years.

I'll chime in here with my iPhone 5C. Im pretty satisfied with mine, plays my Reggae, it's easy to use and I love the Geo-Tagging feature :)

If you want an iPhone the 5 is probably a good place to start since you get to profit of the larger screen(<iPhone 4) but it isn't as big or expensive as the 6.

-Alex

Teej

If you just want it to run apps, and download stuff from your wifi, you don't need it to be a phone too.

Plan B - I found that I can use my old smart phones, with no plan...as long as its just for wifi (Can't make calls except 911, etc). I used it to run credit cards, and other stuff, for example, other than making phone calls, JUST using the wifi.

IE: W/o a plan, its still basically a wee computer....and, just as you don't need a wireless plan for your desk or laptop, etc...the wifi part works the same.

The thing about the plans is, there are fees tacked on, and, most places won't let you GET a smart phone w/o a data package, even if its a teeny data package...there's SOME default data included in your bill.

Plan C - A laptop or tablet, etc, loaded with an Android Simulator, would let you run Android apps, plus what ever native apps it was already compatible with it.

That way, you can use the FREE phone service provided by parental units, and NOT have a monthly fee to use the apps you were interested in.

Last edited:

USAbro

I already have an android sim on my laptop. Genymotion. BlueStacks sucks.

I want the app capability along with the texting, but I think I know what I'm gonna do.

I'm going to by some cheap flip phone for $15/month, then buy and ipod touch and use imessage when I have wifi. It's cheaper and theres no plan.

But yes, a lot of carriers want u to buy the plan along with the phone, but on amazon it looks like you could get buy just buying a $70 phone.

As for pre-paid, I was thinking those $35 cards you can buy at wal-mart, giant or any other food & drug store or convenience store.

thats definitely an option. a few years ago I wouldn't have said it was a good idea, but now so many places have free public wifi that you wont have any trouble finding an access point.

thats definitely an option. a few years ago I wouldn't have said it was a good idea, but now so many places have free public wifi that you wont have any trouble finding an access point.

That may be true in New Brunswick Canada but it's not true where I am. There are 5 or 6 places within a 30 to 45 minute drive and that's all. There are plenty of parts of the US that have no broadband service and many ares that still have no cell phone service, although he is in a densely populated area so probably doesn't have that problem.

Alan

USAbro

Haha there is wifi all around, stores, coffee shops, my house, my neighbor, my church, my school, everywhere!

In fact our school wifi was locked so I used kali linux to dictionary attack it and retrieved that password.

Ha, reminds me of the WiFi my high school had. It was "locked" but we could sign in to it using our student logins (which wasn't supposed to work). They got really mad at us for being on the network.

Also NewBrunswick is hardly a shining beacon of population and modern society. This entire province has less than a million people in it. Thats less people than most large cities.