Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHASER diodes! HELL YAA!!

Daedal

I agree with you guys... I felt cheated after running the test myself. :-?

The majority of the improvements, as I said, is in the optics rather than in the output. The SenKat GB diode is meant to output 250mW pulsed and 80mW CW, awhile this one is meant for 350mW pulsed and 200mW CW. Now... the graphs both clearly show that even with TEC cooling that adding more power slowly but steadily ruins that semi-linearity towards the end of the output. It all just becomes a waste. Although, notice that witht he SenKat GB diode I pushed it until the output was almost flat, while with the phazer diodes I only pushed to 250mW (249) and stopped. I didn't want to shorten the life of these diodes or make them any less efficient than they would be at 'new' status.

That said, these, I believe, make for excellent lab lasers. In a nice block with a big heatsink and a solid PSU, these will easily pump out 250mW and KEEP PUMPING out that much for a while! I wouldn't expect it to be that difficult either.

In terms of the beam pattern, I did notice that with the SenKat GB diodes the beam changed modes (very visible) at around 400-500mA. It just becomes scattered rather than be a beam. It didn't burn out though... it was just still nice and uniform when I took it back down. These units, on the other hand, have not been pushed hard enough to instigate that stage, so I wouldn't know. Also, the beam has a line in the middle of it that was less visible from the SenKat GB diodes, but still there. One of the two units that I tested actually 'lost' that line during one of the measurement sessions. The beams are both about as visible when at the same power output. My initial estimation of the visibility was apparently wrong... although I could have sworn that one was more visible than the other... maybe it was the way one was collimated versus the other... ::)

Other than that they are still excellent burners and I have a video showing their burning power from about 10 feet unfocused (as a beam rather than a spot) and I also have them burning upclose at a few inches. Anything that intersects the path is burnt to oblivion! I had a friend come over to check up on me during one of the tests and was curious as to how "strong" these new ones were... He burnt his hand just standing in the beam and it was not collimated to a dot on it either... ;D

Now... with all that said... I would like to wait for some kind of PM from the 2 winners (hopefully I can play some more with one of them ::) :-[) to see how they want them sent. They are right now in the bigger of the AixiZ modules, were tested with the glass and with the acrylic lenses and were the exact same thing. The glass has MUCH LESS of a spatter around the beam so the beam ends up being VERY NICE and super uniform, that is what I used for the distance burn test. The downside is that you cannot focus them down to a spot and so you can't do that deadly burning that you expect from this kind of power ;)

The medication and my flu both are taking a huge toll on me and I cannot seem to be sitting down for a while to do anything without slipping into a mad coughing frenzy! I feel like I'm getting asthma! :-/ It's horrible! Either way... I'll try as much as I can to get these up for you guys today... I will honestly do my best.

Thanx;
DDL

Benm

I guess there is the point that these diodes are (apparently) rated to run at 200 mW CW, where the GB ones are not.

The only way to really determine if these are reliable at such power levels is running both at 200 mW until failure. It might just be that the GB ones poop out after a few hours whilst these last for enternity... but investigating that w/could mean sacrificing a few $100's worth of diodes to get a clear answer.

Gazoo

Daedal,
I have noticed the exact same thing you described between using glass and acrylic or plastic lenses. The acrylic lens I received with the last Meredith module I ordered is the best one I have for burning, meaning it does focus down the most.

The Aixiz plastic lenses are very, very close to the same as my acrylic lens. The glass lens I received with my Meredith module is the least of the good burning lenses. However when I run anything above 300ma's into my open can diode, the glass lens then begins to equal what the other lenses are capable of.

Now that you have noticed the beams are the same in brightness, I wonder if there would be any other advantages to a phasor diode vs. an open can diode. Of course one tremendous advantage is the fact they come ready to use. I guess the only way to tell would be to compare the two...I have a feeling the open can diodes are not meant to run at 200mw's continuous, but since we don't have specs on them we really don't know. If this turns into a GB I would order at least one to find out. But then your video might tell some of the story too.

LarryQ

WOW...I can't believe I got one!!!!

I'm not going to need to PM you....

I will say it here in the open......

If you believe that there is more to learn from these diodes......and it does indeed look like there is a lot more headroom to me.....

Dae.. with everything you have done for us all here.....I say.....

RUN IT!!!!!!!

Make the the thing show us her true colors!!!!

LarryQ

Daedal

;D

Larry... I really appreciate that from you man... But I'm worried the diode might call it quits :-?

And congrats again :D

--DDL

Gazoo

Thanks Larry I appreciate that. :)

In hindsight an extra diode should have been ordered for torture testing, or perhaps there should have been only 1 raffled or maybe none. I really wanted to know what these would be capable of which is why I contributed. But this is all hindsight and next time I hope some more thought is put into tests like this one. I have no sour feelings towards anyone, but this is a lesson learned.

JES

I agree Gazoo. I was in the process of sending money when it was closed so I don't really have a vote but I appreciate Larry offering his for more testing.

The question isn't what happens to these in the same general power range as the other diodes. Their job is to burn DVD media so at a given current level they will operate in the same general spec. I want to know what happens when they are pushed a bit.

I also admire and appreciate Daedel's testing and wish we had ordered an extra for him to keep for his trouble.

LarryQ

Daedal said:
;D

Larry... I really appreciate that from you man... But I'm worried the diode might call it quits   :-?

And congrats again :D

--DDL

Dae....
This is really why we got these diodes.....

We all want to know what they will do!

If you're up to continued testing...again I say

RUN IT!!!

I'm happy to have won one of these 2 diodes...but I think there is a lot more good that can come from this diode than me just stuffing it into a flashlight mod and keeping it for myself!!

There were a lot more people than just me that want to see what these diodes really are!

I'm just really appreciative that you have given so much time and effort to this project!

LarryQ

Kenom

and I would like to know if your still planning on doing a group buy on these. I know that they aren't that impressive based with what we expected them to do. I see that there is a potential to have a higher output with active cooling and I myself would like to get at least 1 to put into a lab style unit.

Sorry for my late reply I was away for the weekend and crashed last night when I got in so only just got to this thread today....

I can't believe I won... I never win anything....

In the name of Science you have my permission to push the diode further as thats why I invested in this to see what it can do. So DDL push that little Fu erm I mean diode :cool:

Kenom

any update since you have gotten permission from both to take the tests to the max??

Daedal

Not yet, sorry...

I have family over and my time has been overly occupied because of it. I'll try to do all of the testing for these diodes very soon and will let everyone know :)

--DDL

Daedal

Alright... The results are yet to be graphed then... but... I pushed one of the diodes up to 700mA and achieved a maximum of 323mW (TEC COOLED) from one before it just gave up and turned into a VERY expensive LED... :'( :'( That REALLY hurt! :'( :'(

The other one is still going strong as I just got too sad and decided to sleep on it a bit before I start work on the other one again... :-/

I felt very bad when the beam was so damn defined in the room and then just !!POOF!! was gone!! :eek:

At 600mA though it was burning dark stuff (quick stop to try and burn the back off my screwdriver) without being collimated (fat beam burning stuff looks incredible!). Unfortunately the test was a resilience test and only the maximum reading from the LPM was recorded... The next one will probably be in a couple of days when I feel up to it to see yet another amazing diode take the dive into LED world... :-[

Sorry the data wasn't graphed any more properly, and isn't very complete... but I think it's fair to say that without pulsed drive and with sufficient heat sinking, this little sucker can be driven at ~350mA to give a nice solid 200mW red beam! At that power level and with the heat that I experienced, the duty cycle would be around a minute in a flashlight with a heat sink like the one Kenom is using. With a fan-cooled heat sink or with a TEC cooled diode, these will be alive and well and kicking out amazing power for a very long time. :)

Thank you all for the help and for making this possible. Without the donations of the very generous and kind members of this forum, this would have not been possible. I appreciate your help and support with this matter and welcome any feedback and/or suggestions for the next test setup.

Regards;
DDL

I'm i reading the earlier post right that the beam is visible can some one explain why some reds are and some not.

Daedal

More power will allow this to happen regardless of color. The sensitivity of one's eye, along with the conditions here in FL including dusty weather and humidity both allow for a nice and visible beam in the ~200mW range of reds. :)

--DDL