Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Perpetual Motion Achieved, at Last

Just off the top of my head, for something to be "perpetual motion" it has to be able to move in perpetuity which that has bearings and many moving parts that will wear out over time, it would be more believable to claim it was a "free energy machine" than "perpetual motion"... :rolleyes:

Man, you guys are as serious as a heart attack lol.
Let me put it this way.
It is April First.
But, everything I have told you is true except of course that this is an example of perpetual motion.
If you know how a low temp Sterling Engine works you should be able to figure it out.
I acquired this Engine, a very good one, from England.
It will run in the sun, but I wanted to figure out a way to make it run without putting it on top of a hot coffee cup or using an infrared or another heat source from above.
The solution had to have no visible wires or obvious power source.
You see one of my other long-time hobbies is magic.....so I am always looking for illusions or different effects....one might call this a bit magical but I suppose that depends upon the viewer.
I started this project several months ago and just finished it a few days ago just in time for today.
My stepdaughter and her husband live right across the street from DARPA which is how I happened to take this picture.
If anybody needs anything from over there, just let me know and next time I go by, I will see what I can do.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
We knew it was, but man you came across too serious. lol
I was wondering if you actually believed it yourself.

Good timing to finish it though

Man, you guys are as serious as a heart attack lol.
Let me put it this way.
It is April First.
But, everything I have told you is true except of course that this is an example of perpetual motion.
If you know how a low temp Sterling Engine works you should be able to figure it out.
I acquired this Engine, a very good one, from England.
It will run in the sun, but I wanted to figure out a way to make it run without putting it on top of a hot coffee cup or using an infrared or other heat source from above.
The solution had to have no visible wires or obvious power source.
I started this project several months ago and just finished it a few days ago just in time for today.
uh-huh... :rolleyes:

So if it runs in the sun is it still perpetual motion at night??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So what you are telling us, is that it isn't a perpetual motion machine but a high efficiency solar energy to mechanical energy converter? Do you have any proof that in that clunky base is no extra components? Also I can't see how the lighting in that room would provide enough energy for what that machine is outputting. The big problem I see is you claim temperature isn't responsible. As I have seen how radiometers operate, and they require a vacuum and intense light to operate I still call april fools. If it genuinely isn't and you are serious. Big mistake posting this today. Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence.

No. I am telling you the truth about all of this. It is not perpetual motion, obviously. It runs on a temperature differential like any other Sterling Engine.
There is no overhead source of heat.
There are not visible wires or obvious source of heat.
I never said anything about the clunky base lol

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Those engines are a thing of beauty though, nice project to have one seeminglessy working and looking good.

For those of you who will not be able to sleep at night fretting over this I found a guy in Baltimore who made me the base....he is a woodcraft guy who does tunrings. It came with a base along with a glass dome to keep dust out. We used similar dimensions except I had it hollowed out in a very specific manner leaving a 7 cm diameter circle one eighth inch thick in the middle. On the undersurface I used a two component heat sink compound to place an aluminium disk......could have used copper but it was not as readily available. I used a combination of the two-component heat sink compound mixed with a little bit of Fujic I think it is called to make the next adhesion removable if necessary.

I took an aluminum circle and stuck it to a electirc heating disc and then used the mix to attach the heating element to the aluminum disk.

I am using two 18650s in series, a reed switch and a neodymium magnet that goes nto a well on the underside. The compartment of the base is closed with a 1/4 round piece of plywood to which is attached the battery pack and reed switch.

I am using mini Deens connectors to make the base of the base removable if necessary.

There you have it.

I hope my friends at DARPA will help me with my next April first project, a portable rail gun

Those engines are a thing of beauty though, nice project to have one seeminglessy working and looking good.
Amazon sells some cheap ones. The company name is Kontax . They sell high temp engines as well. I have one of those and I am getting another. They are very well made and do look cool.

No. I am telling you the truth about all of this. It is not perpetual motion, obviously. It runs on a temperature differential like any other Sterling Engine.
There is no overhead source of heat.
There are not visible wires or obvious source of heat.
I never said anything about the clunky base lol
Uhhhh, but in your first post, you said "does NOT use temperature differential" so which is it??? :unsure:

Encap

This site offer an amazing numberof Sterling Engines at all price points.
See: https://www.boehm-stirling.com/en/engines.html

"Over 2000 years ago in ancient Egypt, the expansion of heated air was used to set temple doors in motion. The hot air engine patented in 1816 by Robert Stirling is based on a similar principle: A burner filled with fuel heats the air inside a cylinder and thereby purveys energy to the motor that activates through piecing of the flywheels." ~ above site.

Over 2000 years ago in ancient Egypt, giant solar lenses were used to melt granite which they then poured into molds... ;)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Come on guys we all know that you can get perpetual motion with a cat and a buttered piece of toast.