Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PC or Mac?

spyrorocks said:
All operating systems suck, not one is perfect, end of story.

You have to sacrifice different features for different operating systems to gain something. Theres not one operating system that has it all.

(BTW, I voted linux because its almost perfect.)

never said any OS was perfect..

i am really waiting for google to make an OS.....that should be the perfect one.

Google OS would mean even less compatibility than a Mac.

I couldnt live with only .Goo files lol.
if it cant run .exe's then it's just another Mac :p

I use linux mainly because microsoft gives me a headache

I also find it fun to mess around on linux because you know that if you do anything wrong then there are forums of dedicated people willing to help instead of a call centre in the middle-east

just thought i'd whip up a quick video of ubuntu running compiz-fuzion its a neat window manager that can perform all sorts of fun stunts effortlessly, any lagg you see is due to the screen recording program (sorry about the quality) maybe this will encourage some of you to dual boot ubuntu with windoze *flutters eyelashes*

the beauty is that even on very low spec pcs these desktop effects still work unlike vista and mac and it's free!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/liUeGsBsxEo[/media]

wow, this makes me want linux. i wish it recognized .exe's, then i would get it.
lol your watching tunak tunak.

mikeeey said:
wow, this makes me want linux. i wish it recognized .exe's, then i would get it.
lol your watching tunak tunak.

You can emulate a fair amount of the exe files using wine and most programs have an alternative free version. I do miss photoshop tho :'(

and tunak owns :p

Pc all the way! My reasons are that im a pc gamer and when i had my mac my selections were extremely limited, basically macs suck for gaming. However, macs are much better for animation. They both have their pros and cons but 90% of the time, whatever you learn on is what you stay on.
-chris

I learned about computers on a PC (running Windows 95!), and later when I was in college I used the school's Macs for a couple semesters. I did not see what all the fuss was about, other than some things (like what's on your desktop - in Macs everything there is actually a program running and not just a short-cut like in PCs). The keyboard commands were virtually the same (command in Mac and CRTL in PC) as well.

But at that time (around 2000) PCs were able to run pretty much anything a Mac could and not the other way around. A friend of mine with a Mac complained about all the stuff he was missing out on, but yet he chided me because I'm an artist running a PC! All I know is my PC will run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator just as well as those Macs did at that college. Plus as others have said price is a big part of it. I just didn't (and still don't) have close to $2K to spend on a Mac.

There's an old saying - if it isn't broke don't fix it - therefore for now I'll stay with my PC.

im on my friend's mac right now, i dont like it.
i hate the single click mouse, but o well.

PC. I don't understand the hate towards Vista. Layout too fancy-ass for you? Change it.

Security system too naggy for you and asks your permission to do anything? You can tell it to STFU.

It really isn't that hard to navigate either if you use your damn brain for 5 minutes.

New software is being built for Vista these days, and sooner than you think XP wil become outdated. Just cut out the memory-hogging bits and you have a stable, usable system. I can run Crysis on full spec with no lag... and have never had a crash, BSoD, or any crap. But then again I have a good computer, perhaps average to mediocre computers don't perform well on it...

Mac
Today i tried to get quake 3 and zdoom to work on my friend's Mac. i spent a total of 2 hours trying to do both, and i had to go through so much, but even then, i never got both working. i was able to get doom legacy working, but i wanted to show him all the cool and funny doom mods, like simpsons doom, and you need zdoom to run that, and there is no zdoom port for mac.
Quake 3 there is a port, but it only works for OS9 and not OSX. i wonder why it's not backwards compatible. i spent a long time trying to get it to work, i ALMOST did it, but then i had to go, i never finished downloading the other 2 programs needed to upconvert it to an OSX format, lol, but see how much work you need to put into a MAC just to get it to do something a windows can easily do?

Vista

I dont mind it, but i like Xp better. im more famaliar with XP and it seems easier for me. i just like how most drivers made for XP also work on vista, but most Vista drivers are made for Vista and Vista only. At the moment, Xp has more compatibility (and probably always will). Vista is and will come close in compatibility, but i still like XP more.

Things

PC FTW!

Vista is OK, but it eats CPU that you could be using for gaming etc. The other prob i would see would be drivers. Thats about it though.

VillageIdiot said:
I have 4GB of RAM and quadcore, so no probs for me   :)
4gb of ram on vista is equal to probably about 5+gb of ram on xp. unfortunatly Vista eats up a lot more.

mikeeey said:
[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1205467519/24#32 date=1211693764]I have 4GB of RAM and quadcore, so no probs for me :)
4gb of ram on vista is equal to probably about 5+gb of ram on xp. unfortunatly Vista eats up a lot more.[/quote]

to true! :cool: