Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PC or Mac?

I know this thread is gonna stir up a lot of hatred and anger.. but im going to start it anyway, as it will be started sooner or later. Which do you prefer? PC or Mac?
PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY, It's often annoying when people try to back up their arguement with no answer.

for me, PC all the way!
reasons:
1. Compatibility. This is probably the biggest reason. Everything is based around PC, then there are some Mac programs and games, but most everything is for PC. .Exe's are the number 1 file type used for everything, and macs cant even read it, sure there are file formats only for Mac that Windows can't read, but its not like everything uses that format, only a small fraction of all apps out there.
2. Complete features. (what i mean by this is your really not limited to anything, i guess you could say that's compatibility.) People often say Macs are easier but usually that's because there isnt as many options that windows gives you (i just feel that mac's have WAY less options than windows).
3. I was never a big fan of the Mac's single mouse click, so im just gonna add that in, i know you can use a regular mouse on a Mac tho.

Lorgar

I like the look of some of the mac's but will never change from a PC its all about price/power mac just cant compete.

Lorgar said:
I like the look of some of the mac's but will never change from a PC its all about price/power mac just cant compete.
looks i guess just depends who makes them. there are some plain and boring looking windows computers, and there are some awesome ones with lights all over and inside with windows (mine).
then there are alienware. i guess it just depends who makes them.

Things

Ive never tried mac, so i dont really know what its like. I have used it on other peoples computers though. IMO mac is harder to use than pc, and the ONE HUGE disadvantage its program compatibility. I'm quite suprised how many people here like PC's :eek:

In my business (design/pre-press) Macs rule. The only PCs we have are for the accountants and salesmen. (Although now that we can run Windows on Macs everyone is requesting MacBooks now, so even that is changing) We also use the odd Blade Server to interface all the RAIDs.

All the best creative software is available for Mac or PC, so it's not really a matter of which is better. It's more that Macs work more like creative people think. PCs just seem more rigid and restrictive and force you to do things the way programmers think. One constant of Mac software is that there is always more than one way to do things, so you can work the way that's best for you. You use the tools that your clients use. If I suddenly started getting all my work in PC format, I'd switch. I really don't care either way. The OS is irrelevant these days. It's how productive you are that makes you decide.

Apple also panders to the creative types by making their products so freakin' beautiful and well designed. If you have an aesthetic bone in your body, Macs are worth the extra coin. Damn reliable too.

'Nuff said. ;D

CC

i chose pcs because of their compatibility

if macs or linux would "accept" more software that is available on pc i would DEFINITELY use them (linux ftw!)

I chose PC basically because I'm used to it. The only Mac I ever tried was when I was 10 and it wasn't exactly new, even then.

ive had my own PC since i was like 7 and its pretty much all i have ever used. Macs are great for any kind Video, Gfx, or sound editing but the software pool sucks

Ethator said:
ive had my own  PC since i was like 7 and its pretty much all i have ever used. Macs are great for any kind Video, Gfx, or sound editing but the software pool sucks
honostly i havnt seen how macs are any better at media or editing that than windows are...
again it goes back to compatibility, there are more programs out there for windows so there are some great windows editing programs.
whats so great about mac media and editing?

Amnizu

Buying a mac is like paying for a Ferrari and getting the power and speed of a Ford Focus.

Amnizu said:
Buying a mac is like paying for a Ferrari and getting the power and speed of a Ford Focus.

Buying a Mac is like buying a car that can only be driven on 10% of all streets.

tomcat

WinXP: you can do so much more gaming on these...
Linux: to run your game servers on
vista=MAC! BOTH S.HITE

and with Windows and Linux PCs
you can overclock :) and get 2x performance of a mac for 1/8 of the price

spyrorocks said:
All operating systems suck.

no they dont, linux is the best one, nothing can beat it. but compatibility sucks for it....thats the only problem

if you could run anything u can run in windows but in linux, itd be the perfect OS.

All operating systems suck, not one is perfect, end of story.

You have to sacrifice different features for different operating systems to gain something. Theres not one operating system that has it all.

(BTW, I voted linux because its almost perfect.)