Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

paid a visit to my high school physics teacher...

ixfd64

A few days ago, I paid a visit to one of my physics teachers (whom I'll call Mr. "R") at my old high school, from which I graduated in 2004. He was one of my favorite teachers, so I like to visit him after classes from time to time. I actually stopped by his classroom about a week earlier, but he was busy and told me that lunch would be a better time.

Anyway, Mr. "R" was one of those fun-loving people, so I figured he would be interested in seeing my Spyder I Pro in action. I was completely right: I lit some matches and popped some balloons, which he thought was pretty cool. There was another science teacher who was in the room, and he was also fascinated. Mr. "R" happened to have a polarizer and diffraction grating in his lab, which he used to experiment with the beam. He also expressed interest in getting a laser for himself, so I told him about this forum. :)

Although my high school has no specific policies regarding laser pointers, I think bringing a 200 mW laser there was one of the more questionable things I've done. :whistle: As much as I wanted to show the laser to the kids there, I didn't think it was the best idea. Judging by the maturity of the average teenager these days, someone would likely have grabbed it from me and shined it in their eye. :D

On the subject of which, has anyone else here ever showed a high-powered lasers to their teacher or professor?

Last edited:

I know what you're talking about... kids these days!!! (look at me, I'm talking like my parents used to...)

There are certainly some responsible young people with a good head on their shoulders, but it seems that there are so many kids that got blocked into the stereotypical brainless adoloescent with no judgement or sense of responsibility, I always have a bit of apprehension when I see new young forumers whose first question is "What's a good burning laser" or "will this laser shut off street lights"...

I know I might sound old, and I do not want to generalize because as I said, there are a lot of serious kids who will adopt this hobby and respect its dangers... but lasers can hurt and some kids of the most unfortunate "jackass" generation should NEVER be allowed near a 5mw pointer even!

If I were to bring a laser to a school, it would probably be a large, cumbersome labby unit to discourage young jackasses from trying to get their hands on a powerful RPL and show off to their friends! If they don't know about the existence of high power handhelds, the better off we'll be! ;) As they say, what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

Robert

Last edited:
Well, a professor that machines me some heatsinks is fairly NOT interested in such hobby, I offered to build him a laser in exchange for heatsinks... he just insisted on free heatsinks, saying that he cannot find practical use for such a thing :D

Anyway, there sure is a vast arrange of people, some think that is so cool, some give a damn, some consider it too dangerous, some consider it not dangerous at all, shining it in someones face.

I do not like to brag about lasers or showw off with them in my school, I am most certain that someone WILL go blind if I happen to show one off.
" What is that, give me that! OAH, my eyes!"

I have a keychain high power red build that goes with me all the time (I had to think of something to stop loosing my keys :D), however that one never leaves my pocket when I'm in school.

There is simply great lack of common sense these days. If I were to show a laser to someone, he would instantly ask to hold it, and then first thing he would do is point it at closest friend's face. Why on earth for?! Even after I light up matches and sh't with it, 90% of all teenagers will do the same thing. Only rare will say: Damn please holster that thing or something.

I am partially talking from experience (which is why I never take out my laser out of my pocket in school), and partially because I happen to have amazing gift to precisely judge a character of a person I am talking to.

It is too sad that youngsters these days do not see fathrer than a beer on table friday night in a pub.

I agree. highschool kids these days sometimes aren't the brightest or the most considerate. I was at highschool only 2 years ago, and now I can say that I never really got into the social scene, I was disgusted dailey by the maturity level of most the kids around me. I know for a fact that in my school kids brought laser pointers to school (the cheapies) and shined them at each other for kicks.

Probably best idea not to show any of the kids at the school :p

I agree. highschool kids these days sometimes aren't the brightest or the most considerate. I was at highschool only 2 years ago, and now I can say that I never really got into the social scene, I was disgusted dailey by the maturity level of most the kids around me. I know for a fact that in my school kids brought laser pointers to school (the cheapies) and shined them at each other for kicks.

Probably best idea not to show any of the kids at the school :p

Tell me about it!!!
Today I was most unfortunate to witness such inmaturity...
Around our school there is this old lady daily collecting plastic bottles (there is a 'refund' system, you get ~10cents for one plastic bottle returned to store), for sole purpose to make a living. She litteraly digs through trash bins to find some bottles.

And guess what. I saw a bunch of kids throwing bottles AT the lady, trying to hit her, and laughing their asses off.

Sorry for off topic, just wanted to tell you how is the situation now and here.

They are not worthy of attending school even. I do not understand those kids, and not wanting to. I'd kick them out of school if it were up to me. Luckily for them it is not, however most of them will fail grades and end up collecting bottles themselves.

I did the very same thing a few weeks ago. I showed both my physics professors my 12X, and my high school physics teacher as well!

I think this is very rude considering I am in the 9th grade. Not all high school students are imature. Now I can say me and my best friend have lasers (his collection a lot bigger) and we do not even trust our other friends. So yes most high school students would do something stupid but not all of us.

^yes, for the most part, our age group is full of idiots who either think a laser with a visible beam is the same as a 3mW red, then there's those that think it'll cut them in half like a lightsabre. I see where you're coming from... But at the same time, I wouldn't trust an exact copy of myself with a laser like I usually carry (150mW pen). It's a thing you do yourself, only trust those close to you, those you can trust, and chances are, if they say "just let me look at it pleeeease!!" they aren't gonna be really mature when they get their hands on it.

-thanks! *steps off my soap box*

I think this is very rude considering I am in the 9th grade. Not all high school students are imature. Now I can say me and my best friend have lasers (his collection a lot bigger) and we do not even trust our other friends. So yes most high school students would do something stupid but not all of us.
Hey, I am only 17, and I am a high school student!
I am refering to those with the personality and priorities developed up to a 3year old level.

Don't take nothing here offensive dude, my friend said: Everybody who deals with technology and science of any kind, cannot possibly be a bad person. Take this forum for example, with BST section... more in half of cases, you say to a dude: I want to buy that laser you are selling
He will say, okay here my PP is this: ***
And you pay him the money
And he ships you the laser.

There are no people on this forum who build their own lasers, and generaly love this hobby that will not ship you the laser after getting payed.

You know what I mean?

^i fell ya there, I love how friendly the people here are in general... At least as long as they don't think you're a troll. Lol. TROLLTROLLTROLLTROLL.

^yes, for the most part, our age group is full of idiots who either think a laser with a visible beam is the same as a 3mW red, then there's those that think it'll cut them in half like a lightsabre. I see where you're coming from... But at the same time, I wouldn't trust an exact copy of myself with a laser like I usually carry (150mW pen). It's a thing you do yourself, only trust those close to you, those you can trust, and chances are, if they say "just let me look at it pleeeease!!" they aren't gonna be really mature when they get their hands on it.

-thanks! *steps off my soap box*
I know what you mean dude, and I agree. However I am a specific type of person, I was always a tech-maniac ever since I could walk I guess.
Everything that emitted light, everythign that glowed and looked current-related was of outstanding interest in me.

Hah I remember when I was 5 years old, it has been a month or so since I had my eye surgery at that time (strobism, cross-eyed you know), and I saw a lasershow on TV (in a disco or something), and I said to my mum: I want that I want that...
I then terribly wanted them keychain red lasers most commonly available...
And since surgery took place not long ago, she was still jumpy of the subject , saying: You will not get such a thing even if you begged on your knees!
:crackup: All true I swear (except time references, take a tolerance +- :D)

And whaddaya know, I have been in this hobby for 4 years now, making all them powerful lasers.
Who would have guessed :D

EDIT: Finished writing my post, saw yours... troll means fake right?
Well is it not true what I've said? What part?

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to put everybody in highschool in the same category, but I'm sure you guys yourself know that a large amount of those in highschool are imature like that.

Asherz

A couple of weeks ago for my A-level physics class I brough it my greenie, red and blu-ray laser, all students are around 16-17 and all the idiots were filtered out last year so everyone is pretty mature. We took them into a small drama studio with a black curtain, clamped the lasers in the center with only me around to make sure everything was sound and not over heating :)

It went well, a small crowd gathered to look at the beams, the green obviously being the most impressive :) It went well, but there were 4 teachers to supervise and the people in the class respect my decision when I said I couldn't let anyone "play" with them, I only live down the road from my school so I grabbed the lasers during lunch and brought them in for the 2 hour lesson where they were in a locked case.

As long as you can trust your peers I see no reason why not too, I'd love to bring my argon in but it's too big and nerdy, at least with my pointers I can pop them in a case and put them in my bag :D

roosl

mrlazbrain.jpg

Do that again, and it's detention for you, young man!

ixfd64

It is true that not all teenagers are obnoxious, but unfortunately, a very large number of them are. I was mostly referring to those in the 13-16 age range; the 17-19 range seems to be somewhat better.

Of course, I've seen 13-year-olds who are very mature, but I've also seen college students doing dangerous things with lasers. :\

LOL roosl, where did you dig that up?

Yup, it is good to take your moment of glory, but it is also good to know in what company you make your glory.
More than half of my class do not give a crap about the macth ignited with a laser (I find that fascinating still :p), and would surely point it in someones eyes the moment they grab the laser. So what point is there in making a nice 'show' with lasers before THAT kind of gang? They don't give a crap.

But in A-science class, that is another story. How was their reaction there? "Wow" and "WOOOW" is what I get mostly :D