Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Packing a valuable HeNe head for postage

I hope you didn't send it like that. Packing peanuts on the ends isn't gonna cut it if some gorilla handling it is having a bad day. Also, a word to the wise NEVER put fragile stickers on anything, unless you want it to get punted around by the loaders/unloaders of the parcel trucks/planes. Trust me on this.

Okay. I updated Rob to say nix the fragile stickers.. I originally had told him to put (just one) on -- but, due to the recommendations I'm getting here, I guess we'll not do that.

Just don't want to be too annoying to Rob with a "put a fragile sticker on, okay, don't" back and forth.

Is there anyone here, at ALL, who thinks there SHOULD be fragile stickers on the thing? So far, the unanimous concensus is 'no', but also, I know that on the 'net, people tend to embellish their experiences. (sorry.)

But for now i'm going with 'the wisdom of the crowd'.

I just want the laser to somehow, get here, functioning.

xmas one - Rob says he put the tube into a box with additional padding. So hopefully, this tube + more padding + cardboard box is going to do it.

Kind of a shame that people work that way, if it's true. Parcel companies really should come down on their employees more if they're actually actively trying to destroy packages.

Hi again. Continuation of the packing.....
Matt, your email server keeps rejecting my emails to you.
2vb31mt.jpg

In this photo, I've stuck strips of foam to the tube which will create a buffer zone between the tube and the outer box. It also provides suspension for the tube.

23towih.jpg

Custom made box with tube inserted. More foam pads between the ends of the tube and the box.

118iqg9.jpg

Filled up the entire cavity with foam peanuts, topped off with a foam pad to stop the tube shifting in any direction.

23w0kgg.jpg

Completed parcel containing laser tube, inner tube, many foam pads, heaps of foam peanuts, creating multiple lasers of protection and shock absorption.

Total packing time: about 2.5 hours.

Okay... That looks like enough layers for one head, heh. (Let's hope they don't manage to find a way to break it in -that-).. If they can, I'd say NO HeNe is safe.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. And giving a demonstration for others on how to do this. :)

(As far as the emails go, that's.. really odd, I'll send you an email from my work address.)

creating multiple lasers of protection and shock absorption..

When it shows up, not only will it work, it'll be multiline!

Seriously, awesome job.. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Well, my bad luck continues...

Today, tracking information claims:

Notice Left EVERGREEN CO 80439 02/22/10 4:08pm
We attempted to deliver your item at 4:08 PM on February 22, 2010 in EVERGREEN, CO 80439 and a notice was left.

I was home all day. No "attempt", and no notice.

My other mail came, but there was no notice of the delivery in with it. So I'm extremely worried that this notice was left at another house, and the person will go down and try to pick it up themselves.

Or, if two numbers were somehow transposed on the package, for the address, I'm concerned that they won't let me have it...

Anyways, post office opens at 7:30 AM tomorrow, and you can bet I'll be there.

I don't know why bad luck follows me with HeNe tubes.. this is nuts...

Getting REALLY tired of USPS.

Last edited:
Don't panic. Happens here all the time....Delivery guy is busy, running behind perhaps, forgets to leave a card at your door, post office claims a card was left on the tracking log.
Get to that post office because it's there waiting for you.

But.. but it's like christmas morning when you're young! ... Except instead of Santa Claus it's a surly Postal worker.... hmm.. :thinking:

I never thought this day would come.

-And, I got it.
-And, it's working.

Beamshots when it's darker.

The postal service has been defeated.
Rob/timelab - THANK YOU. :beer:

Attachments

• 612.1.jpg
    612.1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 66
  • 612-2.jpg
    612-2.jpg