Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Overall best "burning" pointer

JEG

Hello! I'm new here  :D I've had a weak red pointer since i was a little kid but just recently found out that there are handheld ones that can actually "burn" ;D

My question is: what is the overall best laserpointer that can burn stuff quite good? I'd really like one that could do more than pop a baloon at point blank etc.
price and burn factor is the most important in this, size doesnt matter much but it would be good if i could have it on me without being acused of carrying some kind baton or something ;D

It doesnt matter much to me if it's red or green on this one :)
Ive browsed a few websites and found a couple that they claimed that could burn stuff- but i want to hear from you guys what the best buys are.

english is only my 2. language so excuse my "errors" :p

Well, for the most power for your money, infrared/near-infrared lasers are the way to go. Although, they can be pretty dangerous because the light that is emitted is either invisible to the human eye, or very very dim (But they still have a lot of burning power). See here for a deal on high powered IR pointers + Goggles

There are also tutorials for creating your own burning red laser pointer. If you don't want to spend that much money, a DIY dvd burner laser red would be the way to go. See here for a tutorial on how to build your own burning red laser out of an old dvd burner

I cant see any errors at all, you write better english than i do sometimes ;D

If you want one of the cheapest burning lasers i would suggest you build one on your own, the total cost would be about $35 dollors unless you put it in a flashlight, in that case you would have to add that to it.

Here is a cheap circuit you would want to make if you want it to live any sorta life... http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612

Heres where you can buy the laser diode already installed in the focusing module... http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?...id=192&zenid=45cf98facd9897124a7cd2a242c017ec

And here are 2 flashlights you can put it in, you dont have to tho...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1181635652

When you finish making it you will be amazed at how good it burns, it will light matches at many feet, light firework fuses pop balloons from 20ft ;D

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

for a good burning laser u should probably go with red because its much cheaper than green. its the very cheapest if u make ur own. how to do that is this link here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612;start=all

its very easy and cheap! it costs about 60 dollars TOPS for all the supplies needed. the most expensive is the laser diode, which can be found at sales.stontek.org. i had no previous electronics experience, yet i was able to make one myself with all the help that everyone here at laserpointerforums has given me. im sure u can do it too ;)

If you dont put it in a flaslight it is alot cheaper, i made mine for $35 dollors.. $28 for the diode in module, $3 for the whole circuit from radioshack, and $4 for 2 potetiomenters so i can easily adjust it.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

JEG

I think I'll go for a bought one :)
Wow many answers fast in this forum! thanks

What numbers should i look for? I know the mW and the $ but is there under numbers that matters?

Well bought ones do get quite more expensive, for the overall best quality laser that can light matches pop baloons etc i would go with this..... http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=86

They have excelent customer service and there lasers are great, also for 20 more dollors you can get a metel carying case to keep it in.

Make sure you get goggles tho there a must to burn anything its about the only way you can look at the object, also if your burning something slightly reflective they will protect you...... goggles

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

JEG

How much mW would be needed to light a cigarette without much trouble?

heh, that will cost about 2000 dollors or more, i think around 300mw would be able to light a cigarette.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

JEG

I saw a video on youtube where a guy did it with a pretty small pen with the brand dragon. It said it was 125mW

wooooooolazer said:
heh, that will cost about 2000 dollors or more, i think around 300mw would be able to light a cigarette.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Pseudo sells IR pointers @ 450mw for $310.

oh, i was thinking of green, yes you can also get ir which will be much cheaper but unfortunantly you cant see the dot.

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, but if its burning you want, mw for $$$ ir is good.

808 is slightly visible.

no, the most visible is around 450 or so, but anything higher or lower than that is less visible.

No, that just means what color your eyes will percieve it, normal red is around 650nm, our eyes are most sensitive to 532nm which is green, and are eyes are somewhat sensitive to 350nm which would be blue/violet. 808nm is ir, its almost invisible, its just like the light coming out of a remote control which is practicly impossible to see but since those lasers output so much it will be seen as a very dim red dot until you put the goggles on.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D