Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ordered 3 Assassin V2 lasers. Am I an idiot?

On a whim, I ordered a (supposedly) 200mW version each of a 405, 532 and 650nm laser from assassinlasers.com in a combo pack for $110. Before I ordered, I asked their customer service several questions via email (including the actual power of each). They seemed to respond quickly, though they didn't really answer my specific questions until pressed. After I finally got the answers I thought I needed, I ordered.
I have now spent the last week trying to get them to answer very specific questions about the Li-ion batteries that I need to use (I have never owned anything that used them), only to get vague seemingly scripted and sometimes contradictory responses, when I actually get one at all! They seem to be sending UltraFire 18650 3000mAh 3.7v batteries, but are only telling me to use the ones they provide (2500-3000mAh) and otherwise, won't even say the brand or whether they are protected or not. This makes me wonder if I should have ordered from them in the first place.
Does anyone know if this company provides a reliable product? (I linked there from this site.)
I also would like to know about the best batteries and multiple chargers for them. They will send me one battery and a single charger for each laser, which means I'll have to find three open outlets in my house to charge all three at once, and I'll have to charge them for 8 hours before I can even use them when I finally get the lasers!:banghead:
How much does the capacity matter (above or below 3000mAh), as far as being dangerous to the circuitry.
Does the protected status matter other than while charging?
Sorry I've been rambling, but they have not responded to me in days and I'm worried I might have made a mistake.
Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
Thank you.:thanks:

Last edited:

These are ebay type lasers. That's a lot to pay for these. How about $5 a piece?

diachi

Yeah, they sell $5 eBay lasers with a large markup. Not to mention those won't even be close to 200mW. It's a scam all round.

Last edited:

Jhop

Hopefully they are more than 5mw. As for batteries, get your self some efest or sanyo 18650's, and a nitecore charger, you can get one that charged 4 batteries at once, and auto shuts off when charge is complete. Shouldnt take 8 hours, either. 5 or 6 max, or as low as 2-3 hours. Protected should be fine.

Apparently, I am an idiot! I haven't really done a lot with lasers since my down time in 2009. About a year ago I managed to separate one of the leads from the diode on my Jayrob. there is no way I have the tools (or coordination) to solder the thread-like lead back onto the diode without destroying it. Recently I felt sad about it and started looking through the ads on this site. Since I spent almost twice as much to build my Blu-Ray (in 2009) it seemed like a decent deal, but like I said, it was a whim:drunk:
They claim to have a money back guarantee! We'll see, when I get them, if that is necessary.
I should have checked with you guys first.
My bad!

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much out of those lasers. Or those batteries to be honest. They'll probably be fine for those (most likely low powered) lasers, but if you end up getting a quality unit, they mite not be able to keep up. Any battery with "fire" in the name has been pretty much proven as garbage. The mAh rating on them is usually BS also.

On a side note... If you end up needing some good batteries, I just tore apart a couple of laptop battery packs that had some Sanyo batteries in one, and some Samsung batteries in another.

Well, I got them and, SURPRISE :eek:, not great. After a week+ of asking them about the battery specs and, them telling me anything over 3000mAh would "kill the laser", they sent 5000mAh batteries. When asked about that, they claimed they were doing me a favor.
The rest will be explained in the following correspondence:

Them, in response to my asking how to return the product:
Hello, The explanation of "no return cost" means we do not charge a restocking fee. In no way on our website to we inform customers that we pay for return shipping.
Thank-you for your business and have an Awesome Day!
Visit www.assassinlasers.com today!

Me:
In what world does the phrase (direct paste from your website) "we have taken the risk out of the purchase: buy it, try it, love it - and if by chance you don't, return it at NO COST to you!" even imply "except what it COST's YOU to RETURN IT"?
And, why would I pay a restocking fee to return them, when they are clearly not even the product I ordered?
First off, they are maybe 25mW, not the 200mW you claimed.
Secondly, the manufacture of them is sketchy at best.
The threads on the "Aircraft Aluminum" are very rough and take some effort to screw on, and no O-rings.
The polarity is reversed on two of the three lasers. There were no indications as to which end of the battery should be inserted, but usually the spring receives the negative end. Two of them required the positive bump towards the spring to work. WEIRD!
None of them are legally labeled. Only one lists the power (@ <200mW, which means 0-199mW, less than you claimed) and none of them listed the class (over 5mW is IIIb and I’ll grant that they are over 5mW), both of which are legally required to be on the warning label. BTW, it’s also illegal to advertise anything over 5mW as a “pointer”.
I feel completely stupid and scammed for ordering, but I am pissed at your condescending and contradictory responses to all of my questions over the last week+.
I’ll admit it would be a pain in the butt to spend the next several days/weeks disputing the charge with VISA about not receiving what I ordered (see above). But, for me, It would even be more of a pain for me to have to repackage and ship them back (especially if I have to pay for it)!
You recently offered me 30% off to settle this, but $77 is much more than I think they are worth. Even 50% ($55) seems high. Make me an offer you can tolerate (meaning a refund of more than 50%) and I’ll drop it.
Think about it!

They offered me 55% and I think I'll just take it as a learning lesson. Not to mention, I got three different colored lasers @~25mW w/ corresponding batteries and chargers for <$50. I'll call it good!

Just remember to avoid www.assassinlasers.com, unless you want to threaten them better than I did, and maybe get free lasers.:lasergun:
Again, :thanks: for your help and I will remember to check with you guys in the future!

diachi

Well, I got them and, SURPRISE :eek:, not great. After a week+ of asking them about the battery specs and, them telling me anything over 3000mAh would "kill the laser", they sent 5000mAh batteries. When asked about that, they claimed they were doing me a favor.
The rest will be explained in the following correspondence:

Them, in response to my asking how to return the product:
Hello, The explanation of "no return cost" means we do not charge a restocking fee. In no way on our website to we inform customers that we pay for return shipping.
Thank-you for your business and have an Awesome Day!
Visit www.assassinlasers.com today!

Me:
In what world does the phrase (direct paste from your website) "we have taken the risk out of the purchase: buy it, try it, love it - and if by chance you don't, return it at NO COST to you!" even imply "except what it COST's YOU to RETURN IT"?
And, why would I pay a restocking fee to return them, when they are clearly not even the product I ordered?
First off, they are maybe 25mW, not the 200mW you claimed.
Secondly, the manufacture of them is sketchy at best.
The threads on the "Aircraft Aluminum" are very rough and take some effort to screw on, and no O-rings.
The polarity is reversed on two of the three lasers. There were no indications as to which end of the battery should be inserted, but usually the spring receives the negative end. Two of them required the positive bump towards the spring to work. WEIRD!
None of them are legally labeled. Only one lists the power (@ <200mW, which means 0-199mW, less than you claimed) and none of them listed the class (over 5mW is IIIb and I’ll grant that they are over 5mW), both of which are legally required to be on the warning label. BTW, it’s also illegal to advertise anything over 5mW as a “pointer”.
I feel completely stupid and scammed for ordering, but I am pissed at your condescending and contradictory responses to all of my questions over the last week+.
I’ll admit it would be a pain in the butt to spend the next several days/weeks disputing the charge with VISA about not receiving what I ordered (see above). But, for me, It would even be more of a pain for me to have to repackage and ship them back (especially if I have to pay for it)!
You recently offered me 30% off to settle this, but $77 is much more than I think they are worth. Even 50% ($55) seems high. Make me an offer you can tolerate (meaning a refund of more than 50%) and I’ll drop it.
Think about it!

They offered me 55% and I think I'll just take it as a learning lesson. Not to mention, I got three different colored lasers @~25mW w/ corresponding batteries and chargers for <$50. I'll call it good!

Just remember to avoid www.assassinlasers.com, unless you want to threaten them better than I did, and maybe get free lasers.:lasergun:
Again, :thanks: for your help and I will remember to check with you guys in the future!

Battery capacity doesn't much matter, voltage is what's important. Although I wouldn't trust that those batteries are actually 5000mAh.

Two of the three having a different polarity is normal. Green 532nm lasers are case positive, others are usually case negative. Just a result of how the diodes are constructed.

Good to hear you at least got a partial refund, $55 isn't too bad for the set of three with batteries/charger.