Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL-450 Review

This is a review for the RPL-450 532nm from Optotronics.

Optotronics is a U.S based company, located here in Colorado U.S.A
Jack the Owner, is also a LPF member bootleg2go
His customer service, is second to none. He will go the extra distance with both sales support and product support. They offer a free 12 month warranty, upgradable to 18 months. They even offer a laser upgrade service. For when you want to buy something with more power, in the future;)

My RPL-450 is a beautiful piece of art.
Made from lightweight, highly polished aluminum. It has a nice LED indicator light. Green when it is armed, and turns red when you fire it.
It comes with a adjustable, 16 position tail cap, allowing you to adjust the power output. I have it set between 2-4 for around the home and between 8-10 for outside or burning.

This thing is awesome!
The other day I popped a ballon from 25ft. I can burn holes through a CD case in 2 seconds at 6ft. Its got a beautiful beam that goes for ever. I have a few 532nm lasers that can hit clouds, but this RPL-450 hits them with a wickedly bright spot.

Specs,
My RPL-450 puts out a average of 526mW:drool:
TEM00
1.017 mRad
Optimal power setting on my RPL, is 8

Pros,
Tight, low diverging beam
526mW
Lightweight aluminum
Comes with a nice case
Adjustable tail cap

Cons,
The only con with my RPL would be the tail cap.
The dial is very small, and has a tiny little notch in it. Trying to get the key or even a small screw driver, in the slot can be a little challenging, especially in the dark.
Jack does offer a standard on off, key lock, tail cap as a option if you don't want the adjustable. Or jayrob has a neat fix.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/new-silver-rpl-cap-mod-26410.html

Final thoughts,
This is by far, my favorite laser.
If you want to own, one of the best handheld 532nm lasers on the market. This would be it. Just look around LPF, you will find many positive reviews.

some pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 819
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 867
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:

Awesome review, makes me want to cough up the money and buy one. :D I love the new host Opto has used on its lasers, it is friggen sweet.

you have the best laser in the market :) also laserglow has good lasers.. but........ but..... BIG...TOO BIG!!!!!! the opto is the best way for power.... little laser.... and awesome divergence.

You gotta be kidding me? No beamshots? :tsk: lol jk, but I would love to see some ;)

I'm working on that. I just got a new camera, a canon 30D.
I have been trying to get used to all the settings. I tried some beam shots the other day, and they were just not turning out right. I can get good beam shots ,but I want the laser to be visible as well.

Well I'll be watchin for the pics. A burning video couldn't hurt either ;). I'm glad you finally got a good one it only took what 2 months?