Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL-425

K

kcomptonjr

so this is to anyone who has an optotronics RPL-425:
im kind ofnervous to spend over $1600 on a laser. i want this one to be better than anything. i know that optotronics has a good name, and uses one of the best diodes on the market. my fear is that it wont be bright enough, so " how much brighter than a 100mw laser will this one be? " and also, it says that 425mw is its average, so whats it peak, 600mW?? ;D

My email address is: kcomptonjr@gmail.com

Attachments

• optotronics.jpg
    optotronics.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 85

diachi

kcomptonjr said:
so this is to anyone who has an optotronics RPL-425:
im kind ofnervous to spend over $1600 on a laser. i want this one to be better than anything. i know that optotronics has a good name, and uses one of the best diodes on the market. my fear is that it wont be bright enough, so " how much brighter than a 100mw laser will this one be? " and also, it says that 425mw is its average, so whats it peak, 600mW?? ;D

My email address is: kcomptonjr@gmail.com

It'll be brighter than anything you've ever seen. Unbelievably bright. And yes, they often peak at 500-600mW.

-Adam

It's gonna look TONS brighter than a 100mW. I could even see a noticeable difference between my 100mW and my 140mW greens. You won't be disappointed with such a monster. :D

If you'll buy it, post a review and some pics, always nice to see such things. ;)

Ace82

Here are a few pointers:

#1.  You will not be disappointed.
#2.  Optotronics haz very nize lazers, and Jack has good buziness ethics, shipz quick
#3.  Post a review if/when you buy it
#4.  Danger, Class IIIb laser product.  Visible and invisible laser radiation is emitted.  Avoid direct and indirect eye and skin exposure.  
#5.  Safety goggles are a MUST!!!
#6  Be careful shining in the night sky, it will make a beacon with a direct indication of where you’re at all the way to space that can be seen for miles!
#7.  Did I mention you won't be disappointed?

Ace82 said:
Here are a few pointers:
#4.  Danger, Class IIIb laser product.  Visible and invisible laser radiation is emitted.  Avoid direct and
Some Most peak in the class IV range.  ::)

I have the RPL425 I purchased in July. You will not be disappointed with this laser.
I also have the other so called "High Power" pens and they don't come close to the brightness. I got both the "Fixed" tailcap with the key and the "Adjustable" cap. The later is a hassle as you must always use the small key to turn on and it is easy to misplace. Plus, why turn it down and look wimpy! Show it Off!
At the time I purchased, Jack offered 2 free 55mw green pens with the purchase. These are good to let your friends play with and keep their hands off of you expensive investment.

Go For It.

Doug

To be honest, I would get a 400mW lab module. The reason being that you can put all the power to use and let it run for however long you want. A super high powered hand held is AWESOME but once it loses it's charm, there isn't much you can do with it anymore. Dont get me wrong, I loved loved loved my prometheus 375, but now I've moved on to wanting to build a scanner. I would just think of what you're going to use it for. If theres any chance you want to build a scanner or do some laser show stuff in the future, I would get a lab module.

That being said, you wont be disappointed with the rpl 425 :cool:

Razako

You won't be disappointed with the RPL-425. I have a green RPL-300 and blue RPL-30 and I can tell you that they are both quality lasers. The 300mw green is still going strong after 8+ months and it hasn't had a single problem.

K

kcomptonjr

wow. thanks for all of the feedback. my email address is kcomptonjr@gmail.com
if you could please send some pictures to me of your lasers, that would be great.
RPL-425 it is!! i do have to wait until after christmass, cause im 16 and dont have the money right now, but i cant wait.

now for beam expanders... what do you think? 10x, 20x?? i want to be able to hit further than the high level clouds

Attachments

• optotronics_002.jpg
    optotronics_002.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 84

Razako

kcomptonjr said:
wow. thanks for all of the feedback. my email address is kcomptonjr@gmail.com
if you could please send some pictures to me of your lasers, that would be great.
RPL-425 it is!! i do have to wait until after christmass, cause im 16 and dont have the money right now, but i cant wait.

now for beam expanders... what do you think? 10x, 20x?? i want to be able to hit further than the high level clouds
This is a video showing what the beam will look like in the dark with a tiny amount of fog or smoke in the air. RPL300 on the left+herc on the right.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28sXaZyFCI&NR=1[/media]

This video shows what my 500mw hercules does to matches. You're getting an RPL-425 so it should have similar results.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kMRFwKFNWg[/media]

Beamshots in lit room
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afRti0L5AJ0[/media]
newspaper
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7rS3-4unY[/media]

Kage

Wow! Nice videos, Coherent. Really gives an idea what these puppies can do!
Drool.
Drool.
Drool.

K

kcomptonjr

thanks for the videos. i am actually going to go for the 450mW RPL model, which is not going to be released until after february 2010. jack said just to wait for it. and he also said that it will run stronger than an average of 500mW (thats for the new silver model)