Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics problem(fixed)

Part of the reason for the replacement with 10mw one is for the cost and trouble of returning it. I think I mentioned to Alex that it would for sure be well over 10mw. The reason for no refunds goes way back to a time when people were getting them to use for a weekend camping trip and returning them, thus a free "try out" which is not fair either. You have to look at it from both ends.
I do hope he sends it back and we can make it right for him:)

Credit cards are usually pretty good about getting this sorted out regardless of what the retailer site says. It's just one of those situations where you wish the retailer would just make things right and have repeat business. Thanks for the heads up about that company I won't be spending any money with them after this. Every company I've bought from though this site has been excellent minus XPL but still. Sucks when you wait for something in the mail and it's doa.
:wtf: That makes no sense at all.:wtf:
You need to read ALL the posts including the ones
that the seller posted... Not just the Opening Post.

Jerry

Last edited:
Credit cards are usually pretty good about getting this sorted out regardless of what the retailer site says. It's just one of those situations where you wish the retailer would just make things right and have repeat business. Thanks for the heads up about that company I won't be spending any money with them after this. Every company I've bought from though this site has been excellent minus XPL but still. Sucks when you wait for something in the mail and it's doa.

dden4012,

Optotronics is a good company, at least from what I've seen from other members reviews and them measuring the laser they received. I understand some things happen which can cause a laser to arrive broken which some may not have anything to do with the seller and from there how a company treats a customer is what would make or break if this would be a repeat customer. Jack actually sent me an eMail with his personal home address so I could send it to him and have it replaced quicker which is very kind of him.

Thanks Jack :)
-Alex

:wtf: That makes no sense at all.:wtf:
You need to read ALL the posts including the ones
that the seller posted... Not just the Opening Post.

Jerry

Calm down man. If jack would have made this right there probably wouldn't have been a 3 page thread on the experience. Being that jack knew who it was that got the doa $20 pointer and didn't just get a new one in the mail to him says enough for me. Should this have been blown wide open and a rant thread made? Not my chair not my problem. Being such an isolated incident involving a forum mod, I would have just sent another one out to him no problem. Not how I would deal with everyone but in this case yeah without thinking twice about it.

Calm down man. If jack would have made this right there probably wouldn't have been a 3 page thread on the experience. Being that jack knew who it was that got the doa $20 pointer and didn't just get a new one in the mail to him says enough for me. Should this have been blown wide open and a rant thread made? Not my chair not my problem. Being such an isolated incident involving a forum mod, I would have just sent another one out to him no problem. Not how I would deal with everyone but in this case yeah without thinking twice about it.
Hi Dden,
I'm not sure how this turned into such a long thread, but i will tell you that I emailed an upset customer named Alex within about an hour or so of his email to me and offered the better replacement and would do it as quickly as possible. In his email he mentioned he had not "pushed the voltage" or modified it. This comment made me take a look at the forum as one time in the past someone-else had said something along the same lines and when I looked in the forum I saw he had in fact in an post mentioned using a 3.7v lithium cell.

So then I looked at the forum, powered up my old computer with my LPF password and replied to the forum as well.
To me it doesn't matter who you are (newbie buying a 5mw or physics grad student buying a $5k system) I treat everyone the same way I would want to be treated. Thus the offer for faster turn around and a more powerful unit.
Back in 2006-2012 I was here almost daily and got tired of all the in fighting at the time and just continued to lurk now and then.
So, no I didn't offer a better unit and faster turn around because Alex is a mod here and has 1,000's of posts, I did it (or hope he sends it back so I can replace) because he's a customer period.

Thanks
Jack

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Jack resolved the issue. Alex is content. And the company has retained their reputation. I see that as case closed IMO.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
To me it doesn't matter who you are (newbie buying a 5mw or physics grad student buying a $5k system) I treat everyone the same way I would want to be treated. Thus the offer for faster turn around and a more powerful unit.
Back in 2006-2012 I was here almost daily and got tired of all the in fighting at the time and just continued to lurk now and then.
So, no I didn't offer a better unit and faster turn around because Alex is a mod here and has 1,000's of posts, I did it (or hope he sends it back so I can replace) because he's a customer period.

Thanks
Jack

Exactly, IMO you can't expect anything more as a customer than to be treated equally and fairly by an upstanding company who is trying to do the right thing to address an issue with it's products. :)

This probably wasn't the first time a customers laser didn't arrive up to spec., and it probably won't be the last time either, but all that really matters, is how the issue is resolved, and in my opinion Jack did the right thing here.
I personally would have taken Jack up on his offer of an exchange, but Alex seems to be happy with his decision, so all is good!:beer:

Edit: You beat me to it, Curtis!

Last edited:
I am calm...:D
You haven't been on the Forum long enough
to know when I an NOT calm....
You're entitled to YOUR opinion... whether it makes
sense to me or not. And I'm entitled to respond to
any post here.:beer:

Jack resolved the issue. Alex is content. And the company has retained their reputation. I see that as case closed IMO.

Simple and precise... Couldn't agree more.

Jerry

Reactions: GSS

Encap

Exactly and well said.

Jack did the 100% right thing as quickly as possible. He and Optotronics have an excellent reputation been a resource for people wanting lasers for a long time and continue to be.

Hi Dden,
I'm not sure how this turned into such a long thread, but i will tell you that I emailed an upset customer named Alex within about an hour or so of his email to me and offered the better replacement and would do it as quickly as possible. In his email he mentioned he had not "pushed the voltage" or modified it. This comment made me take a look at the forum as one time in the past someone-else had said something along the same lines and when I looked in the forum I saw he had in fact in an post mentioned using a 3.7v lithium cell.

So then I looked at the forum, powered up my old computer with my LPF password and replied to the forum as well.

Thanks
Jack

Fair enough. My post was just my opinion among many in this thread. $20 pointer. At least it wasn't the $5000 labby. He would have been really pissed.

I am calm...:D
You haven't been on the Forum long enough
to know when I an NOT calm....
You're entitled to YOUR opinion... whether it makes
sense to me or not. And I'm entitled to respond to
any post here.

Jerry

I have read a good amount of your posts from way back and I see where your coming from. I'm glad we understand each other. Laser pointers, that's why I'm a member of LPF. Plenty of opinions and opinions about opinions. So cap your text how you see fit. Your tenured and entitled.

Hey guys,

Just got my laser from Z-Bolt in and it works flawlessly! Apart from needing a few seconds to warm-up it looks great and am happy. My unit does about ~3mW :)

-Alex