Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics problem(fixed)

I support you, Alex, no matter what your decision. I understand where you are coming from when you said you didn't want to deal with Optotronics any longer. It is the principle of the deal. It takes quite awhile to get the laser in the first place and your indignation is justified IMO.

I support you, Alex, no matter what your decision. I understand where you are coming from when you said you didn't want to deal with Optotronics any longer. It is the principle of the deal. It takes quite awhile to get the laser in the first place and your indignation is justified IMO.

Thanks paul,

Im sure Jack would have done the right thing be sending me another unit but I'd rather not take the risk. It looks like the crystals did indeed shift during shipping so what's to say that couldn't happen again? This is the first time I've seen this happen. The laser was actually protected pretty well so the shock must have been great to knock the crystals off.

Either way, I don't want to wait a couple more days and have the same thing happen again ya know? :(

-Alex

Thanks paul,

Im sure Jack would have done the right thing be sending me another unit but I'd rather not take the risk. It looks like the crystals did indeed shift during shipping so what's to say that couldn't happen again? This is the first time I've seen this happen. The laser was actually protected pretty well so the shock must have been great to knock the crystals off.

Either way, I don't want to wait a couple more days and have the same thing happen again ya know? :(

-Alex
I'm confused, I'm not seeing where the risk may be ?

Right now you have a bad laser, so you can do nothing and continue to have a bad laser...

Or right now you have a bad laser, so you could send it back for a free replacement which I'm assuming you have to pay for shipping to them but not for the shipping back to you, So at worst you pay one way shipping which should be a minimal cost, But in return you have a new laser now....

Is the "risk" the return cost of the shipping or am I missing something ?

Encap

I'm confused, I'm not seeing where the risk may be ?

Right now you have a bad laser, so you can do nothing and continue to have a bad laser...

Or right now you have a bad laser, so you could send it back for a free replacement which I'm assuming you have to pay for shipping to them but not for the shipping back to you, So at worst you pay one way shipping which should be a minimal cost, But in return you have a new laser now....

Is the "risk" the return cost of the shipping or am I missing something ?

The answer is obvious--plain as day .
It is his decision about his property/money and what he wants to do or not do with it.

If it ever happens to you, you can do differently .
This is your fourth post in this thread #25, #27 and #29 and now #35 about the same thing which has already been answered more than once.

The answer is obvious--plain as day .
It is his decision about his property/money and what he wants to do or not do with it.

If it ever happens to you, you can do differently .
This is your fourth post in this thread #25, #27 and #29 and now #35 about the same thing which has already been answered more than once.
I only asked about "risk", I'm not questioning any decisions he has made or will make in the future so please let him speak for himself because clearly you don't understand my question.......

Last edited:
Thanks paul,

-Alex

I sure do, Alex. Been there, done that.

Razako

I'm slightly confused by this thread myself. Is the defective laser being returned for a refund, or is it being kept and Hap is buying another pointer from Z-bolt? No reason not to return it for a refund at the very least. Honestly this whole thing just seems like one of those 'luck of the draw' bad luck issues. I got a faulty AAA ultra-tac flashlight from an ebay seller last year, and it literally didn't work right out of the box. The on/off switch was broken and it would just stay on all the time. I sent them a video showing the problem and they just sent me a new one without even needing to return the old one. It took about a month to resolve the situation, but in the end I got what I paid for.

Last edited:
I'm slightly confused by this thread myself. Is the defective laser being returned for a refund, or is it being kept and Hap is buying another pointer from Z-bolt? No reason not to return it for a refund at the very least. Honestly this whole thing just seems like one of those 'luck of the draw' bad luck issues. I got a faulty AAA ultra-tac flashlight from an ebay seller last year, and it literally didn't work right out of the box. The on/off switch was broken and it would just stay on all the time. I sent them a video showing the problem and they just sent me a new one without even needing to return the old one. It took about a month to resolve the situation, but in the end I got what I paid for.

Here's the thing:

I bought a laser from Optotronics and got it shipped here. Upon arriving it had the problems listed above and when talking to him told me I could return it for a 10mW pointer instead, no refunds are issued once you place your order. With that, I went ahead and just ordered a 532 from Z-Bolt instead :)

-Alex

Reactions: GSS

Encap

I wish :(

-Alex
Rather than wish you can always change your mind about the return of the Optotronics pen for the replacement offered.
Then sell the new 10mW one you receive back on the LPF Buy, Sell, and Trade subforum for the $29.95 you paid , which is a good price for a new unsed 10nmW Optotronics pen which is $39.95, and use it offset cost of the Z-Bolt pen makiing your outlay for it effectively only $9.04, if it is not too much hassle and time involved to be bothered with doing.

Last edited:
@Hap, just my not so humble opinion. You need to be more patient, and not expect everything to go as planned.

I understand the disappointment of receiving something that is not as advertised, for whatever reason, or even sometimes not getting it at all.

Where both people and businesses, which are a reflection of the people running them, are concerned, it is most telling not how they react when things are going well, but rather how they deal with problems, which are inevitable.

Not sure why you're not sending the laser back for a replacement, since that's an option, and you probably just need to cover shipping.

Credit cards are usually pretty good about getting this sorted out regardless of what the retailer site says. It's just one of those situations where you wish the retailer would just make things right and have repeat business. Thanks for the heads up about that company I won't be spending any money with them after this. Every company I've bought from though this site has been excellent minus XPL but still. Sucks when you wait for something in the mail and it's doa.

Razako

Credit cards are usually pretty good about getting this sorted out regardless of what the retailer site says. It's just one of those situations where you wish the retailer would just make things right and have repeat business. Thanks for the heads up about that company I won't be spending any money with them after this. Every company I've bought from though this site has been excellent minus XPL but still. Sucks when you wait for something in the mail and it's doa.
Optotronics is honestly a decent company. This was just bad luck and they offered to replace the unit if the defective one was sent back.

I know how exasperated you feel, especially if you are expected to pay for return shipping. If that is indeed the case, I would demand that they pay for the return shipping. If you paid for this using a credit card or PayPal, that could also be a remedy for getting your money returned to you, regardless of the company's purchasing guidelines. This is my last word on the subject as I am sure you are tired of advice from everyone who doesn't have a dog in this fight.

Last edited: