Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics or CNI GB??

Ok so I got me some money to spend, help me spend it wisely :)

I'm undecided if I should jump in on one of Glens CNI GB's and get a

500mW PGL III -C-532 nm $945
+
GLP-473nm-5mW $310
=1,255

Or if I should go with a
Optotronics 400mW RPL $1,298

I know CNI is a very trusted company. Almost anything that comes from them is always up to, or above spec.
Glen, who does the group buys, is also in with CNI. If anything did go wrong, he would know who to speak with. He also gets them enough business, that I'm sure they try hard to please him, and the buyers he brings them.

On the other hand Optotronics
has some very sweet portable lasers. The famed RPL, which is the best of the best. 400mW is the average output so peak could be much closer to 500mW. from what I understand he uses custom crystals in his module with high quality optics to give some of the lowest divergence in a portable laser.

So what should I do?
A 500mw 532nm and a 5mW 473nm from CNI
or a
Optotronics 400mW 532nm

KiLLrB

If it were me id go with your first choice (A 500mw 532nm and a 5mW 473nm)

Mainly 'cus I want a blue :)

id go with cni just because id rather have 2 really awesome lasers than one, and some guy from the last cni group buy got a pgl 400 and i think it was peaking over 800mWs...

Yes.

In other words, you can't go wrong with either. Opto buys from CNI as well (although the RPLs are made by Viasho, IIRC, is that right anyone?).

With Opto, you get them doing all the QC after they receive it, and so you get their additional warranties/guarantees and such, and you probably get your laser faster since they keep stock on hand.

With going through Glenn, you likely get a better price, but also likely have to wait longer for your laser. You also get his QC and his dealings with CNI directly, although I'm sure you could make an argument that Opto's warranties and such may go farther, but I haven't heard of Glenn letting anyone down (he certainly didn't let me down, my 2 CNI lasers through him were both over-spec).

So I'd say price both of them, taking into consideration the time you're willing to wait, and then see where you are. You can't go wrong with either. From your description, it sounds like you're going to get more laser for your buck through CNI, but that will also take time to come in, and the RPL is very nice.

I do love my 473nm CNI, which meters at ~13mw even though I ordered a 5mw.

Yes.

In other words, you can't go wrong with either. Opto buys from CNI as well (although the RPLs are made by Viasho, IIRC, is that right anyone?).

With Opto, you get them doing all the QC after they receive it, and so you get their additional warranties/guarantees and such, and you probably get your laser faster since they keep stock on hand.

With going through Glenn, you likely get a better price, but also likely have to wait longer for your laser. You also get his QC and his dealings with CNI directly, although I'm sure you could make an argument that Opto's warranties and such may go farther, but I haven't heard of Glenn letting anyone down (he certainly didn't let me down, my 2 CNI lasers through him were both over-spec).

So I'd say price both of them, taking into consideration the time you're willing to wait, and then see where you are. You can't go wrong with either. From your description, it sounds like you're going to get more laser for your buck through CNI, but that will also take time to come in, and the RPL is very nice.

I do love my 473nm CNI, which meters at ~13mw even though I ordered a 5mw.

I have to correct you, we / Optotronics does not buy anything from CNI currently or in the past; but perhaps sometime in the future.
Not sure if it will help you decide, but we just lowered our Viasho GB prices a bit the other day and GB #3 will be starting in the next couple of days with an order placement date of 4/10 and customer delivery before the end of April.
Also, there is a 3% price discount if you are logged into your Opto customer account and we are also giving an extra 10% off the cost of any GB or RPL order that is paid for using USPS postal money orders rahter than by credit card.