Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics 150mW pen laser

Emc2

Optotronics +150mW pen laser: UPDATE!

Optotronics now advertises a +150mW pen style laser on their webpage. http://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=glp-150 I purchased one and it is in route. I did a search on this laser in this forum and nothing came up on the +150. Do any of you have this powerful pen and if so how is the beam and spot quality of the laser? I usually don't like to buy lasers until I can see them first, but Optotronis has a great reputation. I am sure I will not be dissapointed. I have a few lasers from Howie Glatter www.skypointer.net He has high output laser pointers ( I say high, +50mW) you just have to ask for them. The quality is fantastic and the beam/spot is fantastic with a VERY low divergence. I have a 50mW from him and the spot is tiny! I love that laser. Anyway he is a good friend and has excellent lasers.

-Todd

well the +150mW laser arrived today! :) It is very stable so far and the ouput is at 156mW according to Jack at Optptronics from his power meter. It is really bright and I tore through 6 black ballons in just a couple of seconds. The divergence on this unit is about 1.5mrad (educated guess). The glare from the spot on the wall makes the spot look larger that it is. My red safety glasses reveal its true size. In the box Jack places an "Over voltage Warning" which states: "Only use AAA batteries that do not exceed 1.6v per cell as higher voltages will destroy your laser. It will reduce the diode life from 1,000 hrs or more down to minutes or even cause instant destruction. Over voltage failure creates a tell-tale destruction signature that is easily determined by root cause failure analysis, is not repairable an will void any warranty" So with that in mind i am using either the Energizer Titanium or Duracell ultra batteries. The Enrergizer Advanced Lithiums are at least 1.7v ea.....do not use those in ths laser! So far it is AWESOME! Really bright and burns stuff as soon as you turn it on! Instant pian. I will provide some photos of it very soon. You will not be dissapointed by this laser.

-Todd

Last edited:

Optotronics now advertises a +150mW pen style laser on their webpage. I purchased one and it is in route. I did a search on this laser in this forum and nothing came up on the +150. Do any of you have this powerful pen and if so how is the beam and spot quality of the laser? I usually don't like to buy lasers until I can see them first, but Optotronis has a great reputation. I am sure I will not be dissapointed. I have a few lasers from Howie Glatter www.skypointer.net He has high output laser pointers ( I say high, +50mW) you just have to ask for them. The quality is fantastic and the beam/spot is fantastic with a VERY low divergence. I have a 50mW from him and the spot is tiny! I love that laser. Anyway he is a good friend and has excellent lasers.

-Todd

This is the first time on the LPF I have heard my pal Howie mentioned. I got my first 3 decent powered green pen lasers from him. And I sold him a powerful IgorT bluray as well. Let us know if the Optotronics has a tight spot, I think it may, or may not. Best Wishes! -Glenn

Emc2

This is the first time on the LPF I have heard my pal Howie mentioned. I got my first 3 decent powered green pen lasers from him. And I sold him a powerful IgorT bluray as well. Let us know if the Optotronics has a tight spot, I think it may, or may not. Best Wishes! -Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Yeah you know Howie to 'eh? I met him two years ago at the Texas Star Party where he set up a table as a vendor to sell his lasers and laser collimators for telescopes. He later came out on the field and viewed with me most of the night and our friendship grew from there. He was at TSP this year as well (4/19-4/26) in Fort Davis TX. I think he will be there again next year as well. He is a great guy!

-Todd

Woah that looks like one great deal! A 150mW from Opto for only 196!? I might just get one myself. Keep us posted on how the laser turns out :yh:

Emc2

Woah that looks like one great deal! A 150mW from Opto for only 196!? I might just get one myself. Keep us posted on how the laser turns out :yh:

Yeah you bet. I think it will arrive here tomorrow. I have been tracking the shipment on the USPS website but they hardly ever update the info....it is pretty useless.

I will wright a report on the laser and possibly provide some photos after I receive it.

-Todd

Yeah, in my experience the tracking page is not terribly useful or up to date.

hi. the opro 150+ i think is good. but i don't know if the driver requires always up to 3volt. often nimh are lower than 3volt. i see this on susie site http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=996

tis is a 150mw....at a good price....that is in competition with the other 80/100mw from susie XD

i wuould know if the diode is the same on this waterporrof laser and the 120mw always from susie.

For sure let us know what it is like. (Photo's) :D

I ordered the 100mW Premium pen from Opto today, I am curious to know how these high power pens perform.

Ill post up my review when it arrives!

Emc2

For sure let us know what it is like. (Photo's) :D

I ordered the 100mW Premium pen from Opto today, I am curious to know how these high power pens perform.

Ill post up my review when it arrives!

Cool! You will like it! I got mine today....see my origial post for an update. I really like your avatar, it is really cool. Did you design it?

-Todd

Emc2

hi. the opro 150+ i think is good. but i don't know if the driver requires always up to 3volt. often nimh are lower than 3volt. i see this on susie site http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=996

tis is a 150mw....at a good price....that is in competition with the other 80/100mw from susie XD

i wuould know if the diode is the same on this waterporrof laser and the 120mw always from susie.

Well here is what Jack from Optotronis said and puts in the laser box:

In the box Jack places an "Over voltage Warning" which states: "Only use AAA batteries that do not exceed 1.6v per cell as higher voltages will destroy your laser. It will reduce the diode life from 1,000 hrs or more down to minutes or even cause instant destruction. Over voltage failure creates a tell-tale destruction signature that is easily determined by root cause failure analysis, is not repairable an will void any warranty" I have updated the post, take a read.

-Todd

GOOD....so the driver is ok for 2 nimh battery i think. often a big amount of laser work with 2xaaa but work a bit better withj 3.6volt (4.2peak).. but.. if optotron.. said that MAX 3.2 volt... ok.. i think the driver is regulated well with nimh... ( i have a kaleidoscopic 30mw that works weell also at nimh at 1.22 volt ...beam...etc... all ok)