Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics 150mw Green Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased an opto 150mw online last night, after reading many threads on this forum I made my descion to go with the opto vs wicked laser (which I was close to going with) before reading reviews on the sticky section.

Questions: At how far of a distance can the opto 150mw laser start to burn something? I'm planning on launching an all out laser attack on the stink bugs that come here every year as well as any other insect that I need to kill.

Safetly glasses: I didn't order a pair, cause I was not planning on using the 150mw laser indoors where refelction and possible damage to the eyes could occur. However, am I wrong not to order them for using the laser outdoors? My understanding is, the googles should be worn if you are near say a reflective surface within 10 ft of where the beam is hitting?

And does anyone know how far the opto 150mx green laser will actually travel say it I pointed it up into the night sky? Ruffly how many miles? I live in a rural area, so maybe I see a single engine plane once a year and sometimes hot air ballons, so accidentally hitting a plane is not a concern for me, though i will make sure there is no air craft in the nights sky before pointing it up.

I take it that this laser could also turn off street lamps at night if you hit the sensor? Not that I have any around me here to point it at, like I said it is a rural area. No light pollution at night, and if there is no moon out you cannot see your hand in front of your face at night that is how dark it gets here.

I have a "200mW" green laser from GatdetTown that I know is not up to spec, but it will light a match from about 1.5 feet away if it is coloured black with a sharpy. Unless you are right up on these stink bugs im not sure how much damage you will really do to them. A fly swatter would most likely work better. I would highly recommend getting eye protection even if you think you will only use the laser outside. Its only a matter of time before you want to point it around your home and many things can reflect that you may not expect. From the distance you will need to be to burn these stink bugs, even that reflection will be no good for your eyes. But good luck with your new laser and please consider getting decent eye protection for yourself.

Arshus

Buy a pair of goggles asap. You never know when accients will happen. Also, dont plan on killing any bugs with the Opto 150. Even if you could, say focus the beam with a magnifying glass and lets also say your bug was nice enough to stay still for 2-3mins while you try to fry it with your laser, the opto will not be able to keep outputting the same power for so long.

You cannot keep your opto 150 on for more than 60 sec. at a time, and with at least 90 sec off time in between duty cycles. This is very important. Keeping it on for more than 60 sec at a time will reduce the lasers power and it may even affect the diode, as it is a DPSS laser.

Regards & have fun,

Sal

Last edited:
Get some glasses before your laser arrives. Blinding yourself with your new toy would really really suck. Oh and don't be one of the "I'm safe it'll never happen to me" people, because it CAN happen to anyone.

Get some glasses before your laser arrives. Blinding yourself with your new toy would really really suck. Oh and don't be one of the "I'm safe it'll never happen to me" people, because it CAN happen to anyone.

guess i wont be playing with my first laser until i get some pair of goggles. even if my laser is 5mw. ive been reading around the forums, the lasers we buy can be overspec.

Ok, so for the safety googles, I noticed there are different kinds that protect from different lasers. Opto offered googles for $45 but are currently out of stock after checking yesterday. The stink bugs like to come on my home and walk slowly up it to try to get into a small crack. I have aluminum siding which was painted a med brown color, so reflection off that color would be minimal.

Also $45 seems kinda steep for plastic googles, do any of you recommend a certain type at a more reasonable price? If I have to pay $45 then I'll pay it. just want to make sure I'm not over paying.

Ok I ordered those glasses. Also noticed there was a link to a green 200mw laser for $40 only, but most likely was not up to par as the opto 150mw.

This is an excellent forum to learn about different brands and their qualities and specs. I'm glad I based my purchased after reading the helpful information provided here first.

I personally dont know about the quality of these glasses, but the 2 reviews seem positive. The second review down is very interesting "I even tried to point a 200mw laser directly into my eye and it was if it was a dim flashlight." So I guess if this guy isnt completely blind then you should be okay with minor reflections.

It's better then 0 protection. I saw glasses that were listed for $100 at another online site. It just seems like they are very expensive, however putting a price on your eye sight is a different story. I don't plan on pointing the laser into my eyes with the glasses on, nor even pointing it at an area where it can possibly reflect near my eyes (regardless if I am wearing eye protection). But reflections can happen, and having no protection would not be safe imo.

Do not burn insects with your laser.
It is cruel and unusual. Not to mention immature.
We are above this type of thing here at LPF.

thanks

And FYI, an Opto 150mW will travel for MILES.

Last edited:
Do not burn insects with your laser.
It is cruel and unusual. Not to mention immature.
We are above this type of thing here at LPF.

thanks

And FYI, an Opto 150mW will travel for MILES.

Not at all immature, perhaps if I posted a video of a buring insect and laughed about it that would come off as immature. I've been in the pest control profession for many years, and after using different types of chemicals on the stink bugs and watching them continously come in large numbers on the north side of my house and up on the second story out of reach, a green laser seems like a great tool to knock them off. My main purpose is to stun them so they fall off, because if they are burned say right on the spot on my house, they will let off an odor that will attract more stink bugs. So as they fall to the ground, I suck them up with a shop vac and then dispose of them in my woods (so that any odor they admit while dying, does not attract more to my house).

Not at all immature, perhaps if I posted a video of a buring insect and laughed about it that would come off as immature. I've been in the pest control profession for many years, and after using different types of chemicals on the stink bugs and watching them continously come in large numbers on the north side of my house and up on the second story out of reach, a green laser seems like a great tool to knock them off. My main purpose is to stun them so they fall off, because if they are burned say right on the spot on my house, they will let off an odor that will attract more stink bugs. So as they fall to the ground, I suck them up with a shop vac and then dispose of them in my woods (so that any odor they admit while dying, does not attract more to my house).

Are you saying that you were succesful in stunning one of them with your laser?

What I found which works good on stink bugs is tire foam (the kind you use to make your tires shine). One spray engulfs the stink bug in a mound of foam, causing it to drop off the structure. I've even seen many die after being sprayed with the foam.

The stink bugs came from China in a shipment to PA back in the early 90's and have migrated east over the decades. Most recently, they have been seen in numbers on LI, becoming a real problem for home owners. I'm in the process of installing new Pella Proline windows which not only offer better protection from the cold air seeping in like it did from the orignal windows that were installed on my house in 69, but they keep insects out due to a one peice screen. If you have stink bug problems and older windows, you can use glue boards in the window sills, and even duct tape (but you have to change the duct tape every month). What alot of people don't know is when it comes to killing them, it only attracts more of them after you kill them by crushing them. I found a few of them hibernating in my attic a month ago while going through boxes, so I flushed them down the toilet. So when they come out of hibernation, they are going to be in my septic tank and have a rude awakening.

I've watched a bunch of videos of people using high powered lasers killing spiders and other insects with ease, and found justification of dropping $179 on a high power opto 150mw green laser. Alot of times the stink bugs are way up by the second story windows, and even though a hose will knock them off the wall, the water gets on my clean Pella windows and then need to be rewashed. So I say to myself, the high power laser would be a perfect tool to knock these pests down so I can suck them up with a shop vac and dispose of them in my burn area. Also hope that the herrings get scared off from the laser as well, as they are major pests and cost me hundreds of dollars everytime they try to clean out my koi ponds. I had to resort to using a pond net all year round, thus making my pond not as desirable to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.