Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics -100mW Green Premium Pen

Hi,

First post here.

After doing a few days of research, it came down to two companies for my first Greenie. Laserglow & Optotronics.

While both had an abundance of great reviews, I choose Opto despite the fact Laserglow is located in my home country (Canada) for a few reasons.

-Opto has much higher power pens and are perfect for my intended use.

-Customer service is incredible. I had trouble ordering on BOTH sites, Jack contacted me within minutes of my inquiry while I am still waiting to hear from Laserglow's staff. edit (still)

-I was originally going to go with the 5mW Galileo from Laserglow, but I expect this 100mW pen will be much better in terms of beam visibility.

-Duty cycle is not important to me at all. I am perfectly fine with the smaller pen having it's limitations. I can sacrifice continuous shine time for enhanced beam visibility any day!

-I realize how powerful and deadly these instruments can be, even with an IR filter, anything over 5mW can be so deadly. Knowing this, it's why I didn't go with safety glasses. I will be extra careful at all times when using this Laser Pen. Safety features are not important to me as a responsible adult, and it's not like your going to have 15 pairs of glass's for everyone else you are with. :D

These pens appear to be amazing, with excellent divergence, beam diameter and output power. They look to be well made from sturdy materials and up to or well over spec in most cases. In the long run these are the reasons I went with Optotronics Lasers, Power and reliability. I will let you all know how it all pans out, I am expecting a 2-3 week delivery time.

Last edited:

great choice jack tests these extesively you will love it

Last edited:
Well for guaranteed 100mW, (125mW peak) the price can't be beaten. I think it is going to impress.

good! :9 i hope you will do a nice video and photo :p but... why didn't you buy the 120mw version or 150? for the price? the 120 costs only few dollars more

True the 120mW and 150mW versions don't cost that much more and are definitely an enticing offer. For my intentions though, 100mW is right on the money.

Consider this. Three pens. One is 101mW, one is 123mW, and the last is 152mW.

The difference between the 101mW and 152mW in price is not enough to justify the power. There really is not much you can do with a 152mW that you wouldn't be able to do with a 101mW, and the difference in terms of beam visibility will be so minuscule that it won't matter anyway. I'm pretty sure to observe a noticeable difference from the 101mW you would need at least 202-205mW of output power. While the dot may be slightly brighter, and it may be able to burn things a little faster, none of this really matters to me.

Lastly, in my years of buying things I have come to realize that more power is not necessarily a better thing when longevity and durability come into play. I have a good feeling that the 100mW pen will be able to outlast the 150mW pen.

Hope that helped.

Apologies for the double post but I wanted to post an update.
Forgive the lateness of my reply I have been too busy l8ly.:bowdown:

My laser arrived on the 15th of May with no problems! :D It is INCREDIBLE!
I ordered the 100mW and ended up getting a 114mW which I wont even bother testing because this laser does everything it supposed to in that output range (popping balloons/cutting tape efficiently).

I am however far more impressed by the beam visibility this laser has. I can not even put into words how amazing it is (pictures are coming soon!!). The divergence of the beam is average to good, it could be better but it's not too bad, the dot stays pretty small at far distances. The beam is visible to the user in direct sunlight, at night it is so bright that anyone can see it clearly. The dot is so incredibly bright at night or even in the day, I still can't believe my eyes!

I am starting to dread the responsibility of owning such a powerful instrument.:worthy:

I am almost considering buying a quality 5mW just so if the authorities happen to observe me using it, I can present the "laser" I was using.

In short, I would go with Optotronics any day! Not only did the laser arrive sooner than expected, it far exceeded every one of my expectations. 10/10 :D

I will post some killer photo's soon as I can!

Edit--

This is is best I could muster with my cell phone cam. I will post some more detailed pics when I get ahold of my bro's Stylus.

Before.
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6835/114mwbefore.jpg

After.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2866/114mwafter.jpg

The dot.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9531/114mwdot.jpg

The pics in the parking lot: A cloudless night with a strong moon in a well lit (floodlights) parking lot. Before you ask, no one was inside the truck!

The pic of the dot inside was taken during the daytime, downstairs in my house. I was shining it on some books on a shelf. (I still can't believe how insanely bright it is!)

More & better photo's coming!

Last edited:

.3lite

How many current does it get from battery? Can you meter it?

93.... 175mw? wow. sometimes opto sell 1502/153 mw laser pen.. sometimes more than 170 STABLE. ( i think stable ...) so.. if your pen is stable at 175mw.. how could peak...? in opto site.. i read 150mw... typical peak 170mw. but if you get a more 170mw.. surely it chould peak over 210.... about. how can burn your laser? like a 200mw dilda?

.3lite

So many owners of Optotronics +100mW pen styles and noone can't simply meter current draw?

All pen style lasers from Opto above 100mW should have a 1W pump diode, I want to see current for it ;P