Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opto 170mW green laser quick video

Emc2

Don't call it accumulators, just say rechargeables ;)

alkaline AAA 1.5V battery = high capacity, high internal resistance, high voltage sag under load, high capacity loss with increasing load power, small power to energy density ratio, so we can't use it in high drain aplications... As bootleg2go said, it's not designed to work with currents higher than 350 mA.

AAA rechargeable 1.2V Ni-MH cell = low capacity, low internal resistance, small voltage sag under load, low capacity loss with increasing load power, high power to energy density ratio, it likes high drain applications and easily can handle 1A of load current.

bootleg2go, are your premium laser pens stronger on rechargeables or on alkalines?

Lithiums are best to use, but put them in a different device for one minute to bring the voltage down from 1.8v to 1.6 ~1.7 as 1.8v will destroy the laser. Too much voltage.

emc....what kind of lithum??? we are speaking of energizer lithium? do they start from 1.8 ?? wow. however i think 90% laser enthusiasts...use nimh rechargeable............

Emc2

emc....what kind of lithum??? we are speaking of energizer lithium? do they start from 1.8 ?? wow. however i think 90% laser enthusiasts...use nimh rechargeable............

They would be the Advanced Lithium batteries by Energizer. They do start out at 1.8v so you have to drain them slightly. As for the rechargeables, I don't use them because of the lower voltages. My 150mW laser would be a 100~115mW laser with those batteries and I have tried them and the laser took a long time to light a match. Check out his website as it describes the good and bad batteries. It is good info.

Battery Guide -- Battery types, pros & cons, comparisons, tips & tricks

-Todd

emc... did you test with a power meter...100~115mW ??... oh no.... it is a bad information XD i heard that lasers work best with nimh....instead alkalines. and now you say that the optotron 150mw is at 115mw with them? there should be something wrong. there is the TRUE possiblitu to have a true 150mw PEN using nimh batteries? every seller use lakalines.... but.. it is so bad and mad. every person use rechargeable..... and this world is going to use ... nimh rechargeables a lot.. because their lower cost and ambientalism. ... i would know one time 4life.. if there is a laser working GOOD with nimh... without to loose its power for witch is SOLD. i can't buy a laser that is good until the 70% of the batteries. and then when id decreases( or use nimh) ..the power is 20..30.. 40mw lower. ... oh no ;( in my kaleidosscopic dx 30... NOTHING GHANGE if i put 4v or 2.5v in total! 4v with 10440 lion and 2.5 with 2x1.25v nimh. i can say it has the SAMe beam and same burning capabilities( testet with black trashbag.. about same time to burn..maybe 1 secod faster with 1044..but NOTHING)

Emc2

emc... did you test with a power meter...100~115mW ??... oh no.... it is a bad information XD i heard that lasers work best with nimh....instead alkalines. and now you say that the optotron 150mw is at 115mw with them? there should be something wrong. there is the TRUE possiblitu to have a true 150mw PEN using nimh batteries? every seller use lakalines.... but.. it is so bad and mad. every person use rechargeable..... and this world is going to use ... nimh rechargeables a lot.. because their lower cost and ambientalism. ... i would know one time 4life.. if there is a laser working GOOD with nimh... without to loose its power for witch is SOLD. i can't buy a laser that is good until the 70% of the batteries. and then when id decreases( or use nimh) ..the power is 20..30.. 40mw lower. ... oh no ;( in my kaleidosscopic dx 30... NOTHING GHANGE if i put 4v or 2.5v in total! 4v with 10440 lion and 2.5 with 2x1.25v nimh. i can say it has the SAMe beam and same burning capabilities( testet with black trashbag.. about same time to burn..maybe 1 secod faster with 1044..but NOTHING)

The 115mW was just a guess!!! If you use a lithium battery at 1.7v x 2 = 3.4v, if you use nimh rechargeables 1.2v x 2 = 2.4v, that is like installing used batteries in your laser, with voltage that low you won't be able to light a match very well. Sure it will burn through a trash bag.....that is easy. I just don't want to use them because of the lower power.

-T

Jaseth

Very nice videos, I love how fast the 6 balloons pop.
Opto ftw!

Seb

93shad

opto = made in USA, 1 watt diode, deal with people not just a site
o-lite= made in china, unstated diode, deal with a computer server not people. no warenty

i am biased but after my last piece of junk laser, i will go with nothing else than OPTOTRONICS...
out of the few good laser companies, opto has the best rep, best CEO, long warenty, superior optics, and r made in the USA

opto = made in USA, 1 watt diode, deal with people not just a site
o-lite= made in china, unstated diode, deal with a computer server not people. no warenty

i am biased but after my last piece of junk laser, i will go with nothing else than OPTOTRONICS...
out of the few good laser companies, opto has the best rep, best CEO, long warenty, superior optics, and r made in the USA

I've seen you mention that Optronics lasers are built in the USA, but this person disagrees with you. I couldn't find manufacturing details on their website.

How do you know they are built in the USA?

93shad

i didnt mean built. i beleave that VIASHO is the brand of the crystals and n-light is the brand of the ir diode (made in usa) but i am not sure that they are indeed made in the usa... i will have to contact optotronics on this one, as soon as i find out i will let you know