Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

opinion on which laser for aquarium use

I have kept a saltwater reef tank for about 5 years. A while ago I watched a video of someone burning a pest in their reef tank. I thought, eh that's kinda cool. Not really paying to much attention because I thought that they were expensive tools used mostly in labs. The more I thought about it though the more useful it started to sound to me. Many times in the life of a reef tank pests can be introduced without knowing until its too late. The options are to work inside a confined space filled with saltwater or remove the rock work which you worked so hard to stack just right and which may now have corals attached. The more I thought about it the more attractive it sounds to be able to work from outside the tank and be able to get at spots that could not be accessed with my hands alone. I think it could become one of the most useful tools for my tank so I'm coming to the experts for advise. Which laser do you think will handle the job? Which qualities should I look for? Keep in mind the laser light will be surrounded by water trying to cool it and the smaller the beam the better. Some of the pests are tiny and I'd like to keep everything else in the tank as safe as possible. Id like to keep price lower than $150 Looking forward to reading your opinions.

Last edited:

Garoq

We are currently running a 1-1.3W 445nm special for $139 that has been very popular with members. Just click the link at the bottom of my sig to view the sales thread. A number of aquarium owners have also purchased our higher powered units for underwater pest control. There are some threads on this forum and on reefcentral.com that describe other users' experiences and recommended safety practices.