Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open cans on ebay (not harvests)

-- No I have a better idea, I will make a couple of videos for you guys and post the links as soon as Im done.. also you will see the one diode that I took out in burning action... And yeah I guess I can sell some, what do I want them all for.. --

chido

Are your diodes long, or short open cans?

EDIT: In case you don't know, the long open cans have a longer chip, and the short have a short chip. Here's a pic Dr. Lava posted a while ago comparing the two:

- Oh Im not sure! , it seems like the long one, as I said I just opened (destroyed :p) one of the burners, but they are all the same Sony Model, so they must have the same diode.. I just got em last wednesday and i've been bussy at work.. but I will try to get a close picture of it anyhow..

BTW , a noob question.. does the wire gauge going to the diode terminals matters? Im using those thin wires from the IDE Connectors (from PC's) since I started messing around with lasers and drivers - and I was thinking a ticker wire would it be better?

chido

You know, I had the same question and PMed another member here a while ago, he said that he hadn't really thought about that, so what I did was to run a motor with the wires I was going to use for the diodes at different currents. I even put in 1.5 amps on the wires for 10 minutes, but they didn't even get warm, and they're pretty thin. So I don't think you should really be worried about that. If you want you can do the same thing I did. I think the only thing you have to worry about is to use stranded wire, because single strand wire causes too much stress on the pins of the diode, especially on the open cans since they have been found to have weaker pins than closed can diodes.

chido

Whoa DL, I didn't know you liked watching that kind of things. ;D