Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open Can Diode FS (200+mW)

IgorT

Greebo said:
As far as im aware, and corect me if i'm wrong, theres little if not no IR from an open can red diode.
You are right.. Laser diodes output one wavelength only..

So it's not hardly any IR, it's zero IR in the beam..

Green lasers put out IR, because they use an IR diode for power, and then change the wavelength with crystals. But some of it passes through unchanged, which is why they need filters.

Ive pointed my open can at my skin and i can safley say that it does give off a nasty sting. I'm pretty dark skinned so that might be the reason.

I had a 50mW red reflect into my eye the other week, and now there is this tiny tiny annoying spot in my left eye. Its hardly noticble unless i focus on it. My first mistake with a laser(i dropped it and it was on and i caught a reflection).

Thank God it wasnt my 200+mw open can.

amkdeath said:
[quote author=Greebo link=1202558332/0#13 date=1202990302]I have a healthy respect for lasers... The cat loves the little red keychain laser i have.
I suspect that the 30mw DX green I have throws a lot of IR, so i'm pretty carefull where it points (never at the cat), but I havnt got myself a pair of goggles yet.

As far as im aware, and corect me if i'm wrong, theres little if not no IR from an open can red diode.

That being said, even reflection from 200mw red could seriosly damage eyesight and i suspect burn skin pretty easily. As I've just started with this hobby there is a LOT of stuff I want to get. A pair of goggles is pretty high up on the list.

Safety first. :)

no on the burn skin, your skin refelcts all of the red, so no, a red laser will not burn skin. I have a layer of dark hair on my skin, and the laser shure does burn my dark hair!!![/quote]
I'm gonna have to argue with that, a 200mW red burns my skin. I takes a few seconds, my skin actually starts smoking before I feel it but it sure does burn it!

styropyro said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1202558332/0#14 date=1203036869][quote author=Greebo link=1202558332/0#13 date=1202990302]I have a healthy respect for lasers... The cat loves the little red keychain laser i have.
I suspect that the 30mw DX green I have throws a lot of IR, so i'm pretty carefull where it points (never at the cat), but I havnt got myself a pair of goggles yet.

That being said, even reflection from 200mw red could seriosly damage eyesight and i suspect burn skin pretty easily. As I've just started with this hobby there is a LOT of stuff I want to get. A pair of goggles is pretty high up on the list.

Safety first. :)

no on the burn skin, your skin refelcts all of the red, so no, a red laser will not burn skin. I have a layer of dark hair on my skin, and the laser shure does burn my dark hair!!![/quote]
I'm gonna have to argue with that, a 200mW red burns my skin. I takes a few seconds, my skin actually starts smoking before I feel it but it sure does burn it![/quote]

thats your hair smokin mate

it burns my black hair on my skin too. my hair shrivels up and smokes, then I feel a PAINFUL sting