Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Olike lasers

mcfehn

Ok so i've never heard of Olike but I just visited their website and they seem to have some pretty well priced blue lasers. What can you all tell me about them and more importantly, should I spend my money with them?

mcfehn

Well then maybe the good folks here can assist since I'm more versed on green lasers than I am on the blues.

I'm basically just wanting something powerful enough to be able to get a decent beam out of and not necessarly a lot of burning power. My understanding is that the blue beams aren't as brilliant as the greens so i don't know how much power i need to get that nice beam.

I'd also like the housing to have a built in heat-sync and some safety features like keylock or something.

Olink had some listed for between $200-$220. I think the power was between 500mW and 1W but I can't be sure.

Any additional help would be awesome. Thanks!

blue beams are brilliant. i have a 450mw blue that will knock your socks off. Basically if you want a wow factor go with blue because every body and their mother has a green.

but i really want to tell you to man up and get both hee-hee!!!

michael.

The 445nm Models of O-Like don't have a Safety key, have only a Click on-off button.

Here on the forum I don't know if members making laser kits with safety lock, to see if someone helps you with this, and maybe offer you other alternatives.

LaserGlow it does, but you pay more.

Rayfoss also have a cheaper models (than LaserGlow) with security key, but personally this company did not get too excited me, (but it's a personal opinion)

mcfehn

Who here on the forum is making them and how can I get in touch with them?

mcfehn

Also, I'm more interested in a diode laster rather than a DPSS.

blue beams are brilliant. i have a 450mw blue that will knock your socks off. Basically if you want a wow factor go with blue because every body and their mother has a green.

but i really want to tell you to man up and get both hee-hee!!!

michael.

Personally I find the 405nm(probably more like 410nm), 800mW to have the greatest "WOW" factor. Outside of our community blue is pretty rare, but so far I have yet to meet one person who has seen a purple beam:)

To the OP - You'll find much better deals for 405nm, and 445nm on the forum. For red and green o-like is a good choice. Their lasers tend to be what they promise (at least on the low end).

I have 4 O-likes, 1-405nm 50mw, 1-808nm 200mw, and 2-532nm 50mw units. None have safety keys, just push-click bottom switches except the 405, which has a barrel press switch.
Overall, I have a very good experience with O-Like, reasonable prices for the quality, stock batteries seem to be OK, and one one order where a battery was accidentally left out of the order, O-Like shipped out a replacement same day I sent the email notifying them... and they shipped the battery express, I had it in 5 days.

I have 4 O-likes, 1-405nm 50mw, 1-808nm 200mw, and 2-532nm 50mw units. None have safety keys, just push-click bottom switches except the 405, which has a barrel press switch.
Overall, I have a very good experience with O-Like, reasonable prices for the quality, stock batteries seem to be OK, and one one order where a battery was accidentally left out of the order, O-Like shipped out a replacement same day I sent the email notifying them... and they shipped the battery express, I had it in 5 days.

With respect to the O-like 808nm 200-220mw:

I also have it.

Can you tell me how much yours outputs (mine peaks at 204mw)?

Do you also see its dot as a dim red, but clearly visible?

What are the burning capabilities? Mine can light dark head matches at a close range of 30cm well focused and pops balloon only with a black dot at the same distance and not instantly.

:thanks:

Last edited:
Ref: O-Like 808 IR laser:
Using the LaserBee HLPMII optical PM and working the conversion math, mine comes in at 210mw... I'll have a more accurate report when my USB LaserBee is delivered. The PIN diode for the optical power meter gets hot from the IR, so there is a possibility of error, plus the optical conversion table is finite to a couple of decimal places. If you are getting 204mw, I would think that your unit is working perfectly.
Regarding 'burning power', I tried a black balloon at 12 inches and was eventually able to pop it... certainly not instantaneously. IR is a funny bandwidth and things our eyes see as black are not necessarily black to the IR laser. The dull-red glow from the diode is appropriate, but please do not look directly into the unit - 200mw is a lots of optical energy and although a good portion is absorbed in the eye before the retina, there is no reason to kick fate in the butt.
When dealing with any optical energy, IR to UV, the burning-power is directly related to the target (match, plastic, balloon) absorption of energy per unit of area: essentially you have to raise the temperature of a fairly significant amount of material before destruction occurs. For many materials, the pin-point beam causes a high heat spot and the thermal conductivity of the target allows the temperature to rise faster than the conduction of thermal energy away from the spot. The increase rise of temperature in a small area causes the destruction: lighting matches, burning black tape, popping balloons. Note that a unfocussed spot delivers the same energy as a pinpoint, just that the unfocused spot "spreads" the energy over a larger area and therefore the larger area can conduct heat away and reach temperature equilibrium before the target material is destroyed.

:thanks: for a detailed answer.

IR is indeed a funny wavelength. While a 215mw 660nm I have (O-like's 'cute' red) can burn a match 4 meters distance (well focused), this 200mw 808nm IR can do it only at 30cm distance. That mean that wavelength, photon energy and the target does matter.

Last edited:
The Wikipedia article on photons has a nice chart "Different electromagnetic modes" shows Red, Green, and Blue wavelengths which is a good visual representing a photon's energy as a factor of color (frequency.) One can visualize then that a 200mw IR beam must have more of the IR photons absorbed per unit time/per unit area to be equal to the Red 200mw photon light beam. Since watervapor in the air also absorbs IR (as does dust and oxygen, the ol' IR beam has to work harder to generate the same power dissipation at a given distance... it therefore seems reasonable that IR will not ignite a match nearly as far away as the Red 660nm even though they have the same optical power (approximately.)

Last edited: