Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like Crown Upgrade 400mW 532nm

Big

Hey everyone,

I recently bought the 532nm 400mW Crown Upgrade from O-like, which arrived in the mail
today. Here is my review (my first review as well)!

I started by emailing several companies on a Saturday night - I emailed O-like, Laserbtb,
and Lazerer. I included a few general questions about their green lasers (if they are IR
filtered or not and they are NOT), if they could LPM the lasers before sending, and
expedited shipping.

The first to respond was O-like, I had an email waiting for me from Susie in my inbox the
next morning answering all my questions. I decided that I would go with O-like against my
better judgement, since it seems that a lot of people here had recent bad business with
them. If the gamble doesn't pay off, there would be one more testimonial to bad business to warn other people not to go with O-like. If it does, then perhaps O-like is on a road headed towards the good service they once had.

I ordered the laser that day (Sunday the 18th) and paid for it using their extremely sketchy paypal method. If you order from them, don't be concerned - it is through paypal, and it is for goods, so if something should go wrong paypal usually sides with you since you have tracking. Since you are dealing with lasers, if paypal finds out then both parties paypal accounts could be shut down since lasers are deemed dangerous, and I highly doubt that O-like would want their paypal account to be shut down.

After a few days I had heard nothing from Susie and O-like and not received an invoice or
tracking or anything. I emailed Susie on Wednesday the 21st asking when I can expect the package to be shipped and receive tracking... and she responded later that day that the laser had shipped the previous day! She gave me my tracking number, which was correct and it had indeed shipped the previous day!

Also against my better judgement I went with expedited shipping - DHL. I have heard horrific things happening with DHL, but my experience with them was the complete opposite. I went out for about a half hour today (Friday the 23rd) and when I arrived back at home I saw a note on the door from DHL. I had missed them by 5 minutes. I saw there was a number to call for questions, so I called them quickly and asked if there was any way I could get my package today still. The operator put me on hold for a minute, then said the truck would be back there in 10-15 minutes! Sure enough, in 15 minutes the truck showed up!

I'll start with the shipping. It came in a bag with a box like this inside of it:

The laser came with a sort of holster thing wrapped in bubble wrap. It has a belt clip on the side you can't see that you can unbutton:

Overall I was happy with the packaging, the box was sturdy and with the bubble wrap this thing could get knocked around a bit without any damage.

I have ordered one laser prior to this one (75mW from dragonlasers 5 years ago) and probably my favorite part of the packaging was the customs info.. here is the one on this laser lol, never gets old:

Onto the laser!!! :D

First impressions-

The laser has a nice weight to it, feels very sturdy. The body seems to be made out of
aluminum, and from the parts I can unscrew to see inside (focus and battery compartment) it is thick enough to avoid damage if I happen to drop the laser accidentally. There are some O-rings (from O-like, haha get it?) surrounding the grip that make it quite comfortable to wield.

More information-

The laser has a clicky switch on the back end with no other safety measures to turn it on. Unfortunately the beam doesn't shoot very straight (not really expected) when I roll it firmly on the table pointed at a wall about 10 feet away the distance between the highest and lowest part of the beam is about 6 inches.

The laser does NOT have an IR filter, and since I went with the $8 Uvex Glasses reviewed here (http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/c...est-uvex-s0360x-ultra- spec-2000-a-73484.html) I have been keeping shining the laser to a minimum while I wait on an IR filter to come. Susie said in an email that she can gift one to me but I will have to install it myself, but it didn't come with the laser. Hopefully it is coming with the batteries/cheap charger. I was thinking about buying diffraction grating caps from O-like and taking the one I least like, pop out the grating, and installing the IR filter... if anyone has any suggestions for IR filters if Susie forgets, please let me know!

Latest news on the IR filter - I emailed Susie and she responded saying that she definitely put it in the package with the laser. It was definitely not in the box or the bag, so we came to the conclusion that it must have gotten lost when customs or the post office opened up the package. She said she would send another one at no extra charge! A++ for satisfaction!

The threads for the battery cap and focus are very very smooth - they have O-rings inside them, presumably because the laser is advertised as waterproof. The clicky switch has what seems like gaps in the side (it is rubber, so it could work), so that worries me a bit, but I'm not planning on dunking it in water anytime soon. That is too much for me to risk :D The batter goes in + facing the cap.

Here are some beam shots (may add more to here later):

Crown upgrade next to my laserbtb 445nm 750mW

Overall I was VERY pleased with this laser, as well as the service + communication from O-like. I don't have a LPM so I can't test the lasers actual mW, but it is extremely powerful and bright. I will test burning stuff later (I used a dark blue pillow as a "backboard" for the beam shots in my basement and while I was taking the picture it burned the pillow a little bit :D), but at this point I am hesitant to turn it on because of lack of IR filter.

The laser dwarfs my 75mW viper from DL. I am a little disappointed that Susie forgot to include an IR filter that she said she would (still might come with the battery and charger) but I can understand. I emailed an inquiry about it to her so the response should come soon, but still looking for something that won't take 3 weeks to get here (it won't come expedited). My experience with O-like was good, and I would definitely order from them again. I'm not going to include an out of 10 rating in here, you all can decide for yourself what you think from all the information I have included!

Last edited:
Reactions: ped

Encap

Good review. Be careful when you glue the IR filter on to keep enough of the center clean

Nice to know O-Like is up to speed again. They were always a good resource in the past that nobody ever had to worry about---good products at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:

Big

Good review. Be careful when you glue th IR filter on to keep enough of the center clean

Nice to know O-Like is up to speed again. They were always a good resource in the past that nobody ever had to woory about---good products at very reasonable prices.

It's a bit too much to assume they are suddenly on track... but as I said this was a very good experience on my part, and I would order from them again. It will take more than just me to give them back the reputation they used to have. That is one of the reasons I contacted the company in spite of all the negativity that they were getting now with their repeated poor service... good products at very reasonable price!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to be very careful!

Encap

yes -- good products for people getting iwanting to try without large investment. Much better than many alternatives.

The crown upgrade 400mw is a good value at current price.

I never had a bad experiences with O-like or their products

Looks very nice! I was looking to get this laser soon actually. My greenie I have now is only a cheap 50mw.

Hm. I tried ordering from o-like a few weeks ago but I couldn't find anywhere to put in my paypal or credit card info. I ended up giving up on it.

Send them an email. There was a link on the website at one point saying "To pay with paypal, contact ", but I can't find it anymore. Their email is on the left side near the bottom.

Ah. Oh well I don't have money now anyways.

Was going to order their 100 mW 650nm in the nice chrome pen host. Oh well its only 12$.