Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like 50mw green laser

Hey Everyone!

I was looking to get a solid 30mw pointer from optotronics.com: Optotronics Product Details

The price isn't too bad, but O-like.com has a 50mw for only 30 bucks:
Silver chrome green laser pointer 50mW [OLSGL50] - $29.99 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices

Should I go with the more powerful 50mw for cheaper? Is there a vast difference in build quality and perhaps warranty in the 2 products?

Primarily this would be used for pointing at objects within 100m during the day and star pointing at night/ just overall looking cool.

I really appreciate some good input here, especially if it is first hand experience with either product.

Thanks!
Danny

A lot of folks say many nice things about o-like.

A little more power and less money equals a very good deal.

Just be safe with it ;)

Will this 50mw unit get through U.S. customs?

And will it be IR filtered from O-like.com? / is this an important concern or no?

Customs shouldn't be a problem. I have ordered many things from O-like and have not once had a problem as of yet *knocks on wood*. As for the IR anything under the 250mW modules will not be IR filtered IIRC but it's always a good idea to be very cautious with a laser regardless if it's/emits IR or not.

I don't believe that IR is dangerous. I wrote my opinion down in my FAQ if you are really concerned. There is a very high chance it will make it through, about 99%. But if you're REALLY worried about it, you can ask Susie to remove the batteries.

EDIT: EzPk0970 beat me to it.