Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like <400mW 405nm

Ash

I bought one too. Anyone know the beam visibility of this laser compared to a 400mW green and 1.4W 445nm and 300mW red?
Yes. Less than all of them. 405nm is only at the edge of UV, and if you look at the following pic:
human%20eye%20sensitivity%20en.jpg

you can see that our eyes are not very sensitive to 405nm, so the laser will (probably) not even be as bright as a 50mW green.
I hope to do some side-by-side beam shots with different colors and wavelengths when I get mine. :whistle:

I bought one too. Anyone know the beam visibility of this laser compared to a 400mW green and 1.4W 445nm and 300mW red?

it looks like it is about equally (maybe a tiny bit less) visible as a red laser. so i'm guessing it will be about the same brightness as your red.

it looks like it is about equally (maybe a tiny bit less) visible as a red laser. so i'm guessing it will be about the same brightness as your red.

Mine shipped out yesterday! And they issued me a tracking number. I am sure your guys' shipped as well.

On the visibility note, 405nm is a strange wavelength when looking at the dot it seems blurred, like you eyes can't focus on. Very strange. In other words the dot is not very pronounced, thats why it doesn't have the range a red laser would. But the beam is more visible then a red laser of the same power. It's nowhere near a green laser or 445nm. It is my favorite wavelength :).

Ash

Mine shipped out yesterday! And they issued me a tracking number. I am sure your guys' shipped as well.
Mine shipped also. Looks like they shipped a few of them on the same day (yesterday).
Side note: their website says only one unit left in stock at the moment (1 Units in Stock). :shhh:

On the visibility note, 405nm is a strange wavelength when looking at the dot it seems blurred, like you eyes can't focus on. Very strange. In other words the dot is not very pronounced, thats why it doesn't have the range a red laser would. But the beam is more visible then a red laser of the same power. It's nowhere near a green laser or 445nm. It is my favorite wavelength :).

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't know that; I was just guessing the brightness off the chart. It's weird the dot isn't as bright as a red laser but the beam is brighter: that doesn't make any sense. Can you explain that? Does it have anything to do with Rayleigh Scattering?

Last edited:
Yep, I was checking this thing out today, I want to see what its all about. 400mW 405nm for under 100 dollars! I figured it would be under spec or something, but it seems solid. Now, I have to debate if I want this or rayfoss's 1W blue

Yep, I was checking this thing out today, I want to see what its all about. 400mW 405nm for under 100 dollars! I figured it would be under spec or something, but it seems solid. Now, I have to debate if I want this or rayfoss's 1W blue

O-like also has 1W blue lasers:
Real 1W 445nm blue Laser torch/waterproof/focusable [OL-1W-445] - $209.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
It looks like a nice host too.
OR even better:
Yobresal sells 1W+ 445nm lasers for $180 but I believe he lowered the price to $150. Link below. I believe he has a couple left.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/1-1-2-watt-445nm-lasers-cheap-180-a-54005.html
DTR also sells them on here. Just send him a pm. I believe his are also over 1W but a little more expensive ($225 maybe?). Both are very trusted members and I would consider buying from them first. O-like and Rayfoss are trusted sites but they won't have as much power as the lasers from lpf members.

Last edited:

Check out survival laser, the user Garoq runs this company and is pleasant to deal with. He has a thread in buy/sell with the title of host+heatsink+driver $50 or something like that. Basically all you need is a diode in a module and make 2 solders. Very very easy and cheap over all, ran me about $110 for 1watt 445.

So I got my laser today... but I don't have batteries... (I did express shipping so the package would get here while I was still on break.) so I will tell you about the host.

This host looks very nice. No scratches at all. The most exciting thing for me is that the focusing head is firm. This will stay on focus without a problem. the tail cap threads are smooth. I would have no problem sticking this laser underwater. Oh and If you look at the red laser with the same host the tailcap clicky is orange. It is black on my laser. A thing to note is that it doesn't have a laser warning label on it.

Here is a size comparison to my new style dilda. the 405 laser is a little under a cm taller than the dilda. the diameter is a little bigger too by 5mm at the bottom . Okay that was a crap size comparison. Sorry.

I should probably mention the package it came in. On the package the laser is labeled as a flashlight which is a good thing for avoiding customs. the case my laser came in looks similar to the new style dilda's case. It is all hard, black cardboard on the outside. on the inside is a thick sheet of foam that had cuts made in it for the battery and laser. Its not the best but it gets the job done.

I really want to use this laser. where could I get one of these batteries now?. Could I get one of the 18650 batteries at a CVS or Walgreens? how about RadioShack? what store would carry these if any?

Kevlar

You're not going to find 18650 batteries anywhere. You best bet to get one now, instead of ordering one online, is to pull one out of a laptop battery pack.

Or if you have a computer recycling place near you, could try them for a laptop battery pack.

I highly doubt anyone around you carries any 18650s, their a niche item. Ive personally never been able to find one single 3.7v lithium battery in my entire city (155k population) Now however if you have an old laptop battery sitting around there are usually several 18650s inside. The only problem is charging them.

EDIT: Well fuck, beaten. Didnt hit next page before replying...l

where in illinois are you? I may have one for you.

I live in Shorewood, which is right next to Joliet. How much would you want for the battery? I ordered a charger and battery that should get here in 4-5 days so really I will only want the battery if it is fully charged. :thanks:

So I got my laser today... but I don't have batteries... (I did express shipping so the package would get here while I was still on break.) so I will tell you about the host.

This host looks very nice. No scratches at all. The most exciting thing for me is that the focusing head is firm. This will stay on focus without a problem. the tail cap threads are smooth. I would have no problem sticking this laser underwater. Oh and If you look at the red laser with the same host the tailcap clicky is orange. It is black on my laser. A thing to note is that it doesn't have a laser warning label on it.

Here is a size comparison to my new style dilda. the 405 laser is a little under a cm taller than the dilda. the diameter is a little bigger too by 5mm at the bottom . Okay that was a crap size comparison. Sorry.

I should probably mention the package it came in. On the package the laser is labeled as a flashlight which is a good thing for avoiding customs. the case my laser came in looks similar to the new style dilda's case. It is all hard, black cardboard on the outside. on the inside is a thick sheet of foam that had cuts made in it for the battery and laser. Its not the best but it gets the job done.

You're probably hoping this is a message regarding a battery; sorry, nope. Is the focus ring smooth to turn?

You're probably hoping this is a message regarding a battery; sorry, nope. Is the focus ring smooth to turn?

I would definitely call it smooth but the focusing ring is is very stiff. But being stiff is a good thing. you can adjust head precisely and it will stay there so focusing the beam to infinity and keeping it at infinity will be easy.

I would definitely call it smooth but the focusing ring is is very stiff. But being stiff is a good thing. you can adjust head precisely and it will stay there so focusing the beam to infinity and keeping it at infinity will be easy.

:thanks: