Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like $39 808nm 220mW laser torch

I haven't seen anyone review the 808nm from O-like so here goes...

Date Ordered: Thursday 17 March, 2011
Date Shipped out: Wednesday 23 March, 2011
Date Received: Saturday 16 April, 2011

808nm 220mW laser torch /adjustable/burning [OL808-200] - $39.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

So the idea of a focusable 220mw burning laser for only $39 before shipping totally lured me into buying this thing. My logic was that this thing should still be able to burn even if the power was 50% of what the rating says. I also read other forum members suggesting that o-like has good customer service from "Susie" and rest assured they are a reliable source. Sadly my first experience with O-like has been a bit frustrating and less than satisfying.

I was real excited when the item finally arrived but not too happy with the packaging. Upon opening it, everything looked exactly like what was pictured on their website with the exception that everything felt of poor quality and $39 hardly felt like a deal anymore...Anyway, the instructions kinda sucked because the diagram of the laser had the polarities crossed out and re-written with a pen. The problem was, they re-drew the polarities on the batteries in the picture not the unit, so I was confused which way the batteries were suppose to correctly sit because I doubted that the polarities can physically be reversed on the actual battery itself. Not knowing if the batteries were protected, I carefully charged them approx. 3hrs until the led on the charger turned green. I put the batteries in opposite orientation to what the original diagram instructions said, assuming that's what they meant. Nothing happened. Now I am aware 808nm is near infrared and may have a faint red dot but nothing appeared so I took a night vision camera and tried to see if a beam showed up. Nothing. I replaced the batteries into the laser in reverse to see if that was the cause for it not turning on. No luck so I email them this:

> 2011/4/17
>> I have finally received the package but just as I was afraid of, this item
>> (focusable 220mw 808nm laser) was dead on arrival. i've checked the
>> polarity
>> of the batteries before putting them into the laser, I tried burning things
>> with it, I also used an IR video camera to check if it emitted light but
>> nothing worked Let me know what my options are, I would really hate to pay anymore money while risking another DOA...
>> ------------------------------------------------------

> Hello
>
> It is performing well before shipped out
> Battery is power ,pls charge it
>
> Susie
----------------------------------------------------------
It took me 3 more additional loooong emails to convince them that they had in fact sent me a dead laser or because of the poor packaging, it broke while in transit. This was the most frustrating part for me.

So they agreed to send me a replacement if I sent the dead one back to their distributor in China. Luckily USPS charged me $9 from CA and only takes 10 days to reach China. It took my initiative to notify them 13 days later that they should have received the package rather than they notifying me. So finally 2 days after my email, Susie gets back to me and says they found a package from me and that a new one will be sent out in 2-3 days. I have since emailed twice asking for a confirmation # and an ETA but have not gotten a response back yet.

I will write a follow-up once the replacement comes.

To conclude:
-The casing is cheap aluminum that feels like it could be crushed if stepped on (compared to say a WL E3 that does not crush when stepped on)
-Buy new batteries, these seem like they might blow up
-Poor instructions on how to input the batteries
-Looks are deceiving
-Know what you are paying for relative to the specs. If it sounds too good, it probably isn't true
-$hit happens. DOAs & Cheap quality should be expected from something relatively inexpensive
-$39 for an 808nm laser / $36.99 for 808nm goggles
-Good practice to not look into an 808nm turned on even if its dead
-I can't tell you much about how the laser operates yet...

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

I've got this unit also. Its kind of cool. Its just enough to burn tape with, and to make people say, "WTH was that??"

Its cheap, lightweight, and fun.

WEAR GOGGLES!

The service from o-like can be good, but also VERY frustrating at times. I sent a DOA laser back to them with tracking and confirmation... like you never heard back. When I asked about the package I was told they still hadn't received it... even though tracking clearly says they did. Mind you this is a week after tracking said "delivered" and I did pay $35 just for that confirmation. I also took pictures of everything. Anyway they did ship me a replacement - which interestingly enough I get to pick up from post office tomorrow.

The good news is, for the most part the lasers o-like sells are close to spec, and usually working. The bad news is waiting can drive you crazy.

As Meatball says... wear goggles... frankly I'd be paranoid with that much IR... could be doing damage and you wouldn't even know it until it's too late.

P.S. - Meatball I'm hungry now:p

Last edited:
I've got this unit also. Its kind of cool. Its just enough to burn tape with, and to make people say, "WTH was that??"

Its cheap, lightweight, and fun.

WEAR GOGGLES!
Meatball, Im really interested in knowing if there is even a faint red or if the beam is entirely invisible. Also, did you ever shine it into an LPM?? Lastly, what is the correct orientation the batteries need to be facing? I don't know if the driver is protected and I don't want to be the one killing the replacement lol Thanks.

The service from o-like can be good, but also VERY frustrating at times. I sent a DOA laser back to them with tracking and confirmation... like you never heard back. When I asked about the package I was told they still hadn't received it... even though tracking clearly says they did. Mind you this is a week after tracking said "delivered" and I did pay $35 just for that confirmation. I also took pictures of everything. Anyway they did ship me a replacement - which interestingly enough I get to pick up from post office tomorrow.

The good news is, for the most part the lasers o-like sells are close to spec, and usually working. The bad news is waiting can drive you crazy.

As Meatball says... wear goggles... frankly I'd be paranoid with that much IR... could be doing damage and you wouldn't even know it until it's too late.

P.S. - Meatball I'm hungry now:p
I was about to pay for confirmation too but, it's almost the price of the laser so I scratched that idea haha. I usually don't mind waiting as long as they continue to communicate with me and let me know what's going on but I start to get antsy when I have to be the one running after what I paid for. Im glad to hear that they are close to spec despite how cheap everything feels, the CR123A batteries felt like they were empty on the inside lol. Once I receive a working unit I'll definitely pick up a pair of goggles but while I dont have them, Im going to use an IR camera to view it indirectly and barricade myself from any chance of splash reflecting into my eyes.

Glad to hear you're keeping safe. Like I said, me personally - I'm paranoid about IR.

Based on previous experience with chinese lasers I'd say case negative, but that whole business with crossed off and rewritten polarities has me concerned, so you're better of hearing from Meatball or Susie... something tells me she's not gonna replace a laser twice:whistle:

BTW, if it feels like there is something moving in the cr123a battery itself... battery is no good. I assume you tried different batteries... I hit the panic button once on a new laser... it kept flickering... took it apart, tested EVERYTHING I could... turned out one of the two batteries I was using wasn't charging or providing any current. I didn't even think to test it until i felt something inside kind of moving...

Also the chargers provided by o-like are chinese crap... two out of the 4 I have don't work at all, so make sure that's not the problem either.

Aww man, I guess I should have already picked up a pair of good CR123A's and charger. I'll have to check and see if battery dude Larry carries any nice CR123a batts. At least I know the correct way to put the batteries in now. I will definitely use a multimeter to check the batteries provided to make sure they work.

I think that the laser in question uses CR2 batteries, not CR123.

Last edited:
To the eye, it is a blown 650nm laser diode in color and brightness.

To the camera, its a white with a violet hue attached.

07-08-10_1453.jpg

07-08-10_1458.jpg

Can you guess which is the 808nm?

EDIT: Whoa. That picture is huge.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's awesome. Thanks alot for posting that picture. That has to be the first time I've ever seen an 808nm beam photographed.