Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like 150mW Pocket Green - $100

Grix

This is my review of the new 150mW Pocket Green laser from O-like.
Link: 150mW pocket green laser£*>5~120mw green laser pointer£*>Laser&lighting products£*>www.0-like.com

My first impressions of this laser is very good. The finish is flawless and it looks good. It's a little shorter but fatter than the new-style dilda, as you can see here:

SANY0009-2.jpg

The machining is also very good. The threading on the battery cap is top-notch. Very smooth. The button is a reverse clicky, the opposite of the dilda. Also, the battery goes in the opposite way of the dilda. It uses a 3.0V CR2. I haven't got the balls to try out a 3,6V.
Only the battery cap can be unscrewed, making it hard to modify/change modules.

Pic of the aperture, compared to the new-style dilda again:
SANY0011-4.jpg

The only thing I found dissapointing, was the lack of a lanyard. It has a little hole at the end, so you can attach one later.

The performance of this laser is good. It's the highest powered greenie I have owned, and it's sickly bright. Beats the 50mW Ledshoppe easily. The dot is painful to look at, and the beam is easily visible in a fully lighted room. I can't wait for it to get dark outside!
The dot is clean, no scatter. The divergence appears to be decent, haven't tested that good enough yet.

This can burn too, without optics this smokes black stuff, and pops baloons easily. With a magnifying glass, this burns almost as well as the dilda, lights matches and everything.

The heatsinking appears to be decent. I left it on for about a minute straight, and the host didn't feel too warm on the outside. No mode-hopping or power decrease.

With safety glasses and a camera, I could see a quite bright IR-dot, so this doesn't have a quality IR-filter.

Here is a dot comparison pic (My camera overpowers red for some reason):
SANY0014-1.jpg

And a crappy beamshot in a lighted room:
SANY0013-1.jpg

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase. For $100 this is a steal.
If you want more info, see the posts below.

Last edited:

Very nice review... IMO that is a STEAL.. too bad I'm saving for a scanpro 20.. can't afford another laser for a while now :(

Doofus

Just the review I was waiting for, been eyeing it for a little while, wasn't sure if it was as good as advertised~ but now I know! Thanks Grix!

Great review! Can this light black matches without a magnifying glass? You made it seem like it couldn't, and I would expect a 150mW green laser to be able to do that...

Grix

Update: The beam is just as expected in the dark: Much brighter than my ledshoppe 50mW and absolutely stunning. Rock solid green from any angle.

Also, styro: I tried lighting a few sharpie'd brown matches, and it didn't work. I don't know what is wrong, maybe it's underpowered after all, but I also think the matches are pretty tough. I did see smoke when I tried to light them.

One thing I noticed: The button is a little loose, and makes a rattling noise when I shake the laser.

Last edited:

Grix

The host feels fine, it's about as heavy as the dilda, and a little more compact. I wouldn't drop it to the floor though.

If it can't light matches I would have the power checked by a member with a meter if I were you unless you are happy with the power right now.

Also, what is the beam diameter like? Outside at night you should be able to see the size of the beam pretty easily, if it is pretty wide that might be the reason why you can't burn, it might be up to spec after all.

Grix

I did some more testing, styro. I filled a room with smoke until I could see the beams of my ~250mW Dilda and this laser, I measured the green one's beam diameter to be about 1,2-1,3 mm. I then aligned the two lasers and found a spot in the dilda's beam that matched the green one's diameter exactly, and tried to light a match there. It did light in the end, but it took almost 5 seconds, and remember that the red one is almost twice the power of the green. So I think it's either the matches or the beam diameter that's wrong.

And even IF the laser is a little underspec I'm still very happy with it, it's extremely bright and stable.

EDIT: I took some more beamshots. As I was shooting the pics, the laser suddenly dimmed quickly. I got a little worried, but it turns out the battery was dead. You get about 10-15 mins of lasing before you have to recharge the battery. Here are the pics anyway:

SANY0016-1.jpg

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0021-1.jpg

SANY0024-2.jpg

Last edited:

Benm

Seems like a good deal then! Does it dim much when it warms up, if you keep it on for a couple of minutes?

Grix

I just left it on for about 3 minutes straight. I think it dimmed a tiny bit, but it wasn't even warm to touch. The dilda heats up a lot faster than this thing. I just wish I could open it up to inspect the heatsink.

nice review :) but... ONLy 10-15 mins of lasing before you have to recharge the battery?? maybe you have a bad battery! susie gave me 2 cr2 battery with the dilda... but one was VERY VAD... defective. not a real problem.. i ordered from dealextreme 2 better cr2 battery. CHECK IT... when the lased dims.. check the battery voltage .. if it is about 1... 1.5 volt.. it is defective. a 3v battery can't go so down...

Grix

Ok, I think the laser is broken or something. When I turn it on, it starts out fine, but then within few seconds it dims until it's no brighter than my ledshoppe 50, and can't burn anything. Do you think I can get a new one from Susie?