Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM44-81 (V2) current wavelength distribution

Are you sure?

Almost all manufacturers specify much better than +-5nm.
for example:

Thorlabs also specifes <0,5nm for a 350-700nm range which is exactly what a hobbyist would need.

The LR1 is very old and already uses a 3600px wide sensor. (which isn't even in production anymore)
The newer LR2 version is advertised with a much better resolution.

Might be that the "usual 1024" sensors you talk about are long gone history.
The 3600px Toshiba sensor is older than 26 years by now.
The CCS100 w/ the CCSA2 diffuser is what I have.

farbe2

for measuring the NUBM44 or the newer F4, that's way more than enough.

Why_you

The components themself are actually more expensive than a 95% completed setup...

You buy a UV/VIS for 100 bucks (lots of "broken"/untested ones on ebay, unigreenscheme is a good supplier in europe), replace the D2 lamp with the fibre output (or some other way to couple in light) install a switch to turn off the halogen lamp and bob's your uncle.
Why would you build a Czerny Turner if you can just buy a complete setup? A UV/VIS is basically just that, its job is to produce monochromatic light of a specific wavelength.
You let it start normally (they throw errors if they don't detect light entering the photodiode on the startup internal calibration), then you switch off the halogen bulb and feed in the (attenuated) laser light -> if you do an absorbance scan you should see a maxed out absorption for all wavelengths (since you're feeding it monochromatic light), except for the wavelength of your laser.

farbe2

Do you have a specific model in mind? I can't imagine that all are the same accuracy and functionally wise.

Did you already modify a unit?

I also can't find am Czerny Tuner / Monochromator on there site. Can you provide a link?

Why_you

Meh, UV/VIS are straightforward instruments, doesn't really matter which one you use. Haven't done that modification yet myself, it's on the backburner since i don't have an acute need for it.

If i had to recommend a unit i'd go for a LKB Ultrospec since i know for a fact that adding a fibre output to the beam line is just a matter of gluing it directly behind a piece of glass. Actually got the idea when i was disassembling one of those.

You won't find a Czerny Turner on its own, but every single UV/VIS spectrophotometer that's bigger than a shoebox has one. So just go shopping for one of those.

kecked

My ocean hr4000 was 1000.00

what are the specs on this newer diode in terms of power? I need exactly the opposite 445 or lower Ie toward red and 5-7w. I am trying to drive a Ti:Saph laser. How much are they?

Not to derail the spectrometer discussion. Why stuck on trying to bin overdriven 445-450nm diodes when you could be trying to bin overdriven 440-445nm diodes whose manufacturer is known to have poor precision on wavelength instead? Sharp has a 5W 440nm diode #GH04C05Y9G (edit: seems to have a new part #GH04C05V9G on sharp's website, same specs though). Can't speak to whether or not it can be overdriven by 20%, but they're dirt cheap as far as high powered blues go... well worth a try IMO.

farbe2

Thats also what I thought.
I really want to try them, so I will give them a shot.
I was just hoping somebody did the measurement already.

Afterall, these could also be run very hot to arrive at a higher wavelength at cost of lifetime.

Not to derail the spectrometer discussion. Why stuck on trying to bin overdriven 445-450nm diodes when you could be trying to bin overdriven 440-445nm diodes whose manufacturer is known to have poor precision on wavelength instead? Sharp has a 5W 440nm diode #GH04C05Y9G (edit: seems to have a new part #GH04C05V9G on sharp's website, same specs though). Can't speak to whether or not it can be overdriven by 20%, but they're dirt cheap as far as high powered blues go... well worth a try IMO.
I have a couple of these diodes somewhere. If I can find them I will check the wavelength. From what I remember, they can't be over-driven very much.