Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM0G - 465-470nm Beast!

Yes, I've bought from pretty much all the Chinese dealers at one point or another and I know which ones are more respectable. I'm not trying to brag but I probably buy and sell more diodes than 99.97% of the people on this forum so I'd like to think I kinda know what I'm talking about.

I chalk the losses up to R&D and don't really get mad about it, especially since it's tax write-off anyways.
I know that you deal with a lot of volume and thats why I asked you 😊, I figured you would know if their defective units were few or many.

Darktron

Test has been performed by JLasers and his diode hit 470nm with amazing power.
Is the first one on the chart. Amazed by what efficiency slope can do.🤩🥳
More info on his thread
Here
received_834522281383890.jpeg

Darktron

As per the decan and gball issue I get it some decanned diodes die but I have 470nm, 525nm, 455nm, 445nm diodes decanned and they haven't loss a hair of power heck the 470nm has a bent pin it still works flawlessly. Anyway my point is these are new and newer materials maybe their longevity is greater aswell remember these are more efficient than older generations.20230827_072158.jpg

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sorry had to delete as he did not fulfil his part of the bargain yet

As per the decan and gabll issue I get it some decanned diodes die but I have 470nm, 525nm, 455nm, 445nm diodes decanned and they haven't loss a hair of power heck the 470nm has a bent pin it still works flawlessly. Anyway my point is these are new and newer materials maybe their longevity is greater aswell remember these are more efficient than older generations.

I have a much better image of a nubm substrate stack glowing at threshold and above and you can see the tiny slit at the P/N junction behind the front facet where all the photons exit, it's amazing it can withstand it, however the substrate stack is hygroscopic and coated to protect it, but it is also under a can ( GBall or window ) with an inert backfill ( likely dry nitrogen ) because when they are de-canned then tiny particulate in the air will burn on the facet at the P/N junction over time damaging the protective coating, this will let moisture from the air in and cause fractures greatly reducing the MTTF

This is not my image, these are from endurance lasers, but you can see how tiny the substrate stack is, imagine a small slit center of the front facet, it needs the can and backfill above a couple of watts. Note the part on the left is the anti-static device.

burned-laser-diode-weak-power.jpg

dhlaser.jpg

I have a much better image of a nubm substrate stack glowing at threshold and above and you can see the tiny slit at the P/N junction behind the front facet where all the photons exit, it's amazing it can withstand it, however the substrate stack is hygroscopic and coated to protect it, but it is also under a can ( GBall or window ) with an inert backfill ( likely dry nitrogen ) because when they are de-canned then tiny particulate in the air will burn on the facet at the P/N junction over time damaging the protective coating, this will let moisture from the air in and cause fractures greatly reducing the MTTF

This is not my image, these are from endurance lasers, but you can see how tiny the substrate stack is, imagine a small slit center of the front facet, it needs the can and backfill above a couple of watts. Note the part on the left is the anti-static device.

burned-laser-diode-weak-power.jpg

dhlaser.jpg
I have a digital microscope I bought for purposes like this but I've yet to find the time to use it.

Darktron

😅
Screenshot_20230827_162346_Onshape.pngScreenshot_20230827_161953_Photos.png20230725_154610.jpg

Darktron