Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

NUBM0F build

At 7.9W @ 457nm its my strongest single diode laser build so far. It could have been more but my choice in extra optical components for a slightly lower divergence while being easy to assemble (not hand aligning a C lens pair) means there are measurable loses in the optics. The diode is a NUBM0F with G-Ball intact and is backed by a solid module back half. In front is a G-Ball adapter and a G8 lens in the final assembly. In the picture below there is a stock plastic lens for dust protection while I assemble everything.

0FModule.jpg

Behind the diode and optic stack is a 12mm solid copper rod that has a large flat filed down on it to make a heatsinking shelf for the Astral driver and switching MOSFET.

0-FModuleandsink.jpg

The solid copper heatsink was made by PCBWAY. I sent them a file I drew up in Fusion360 and for $90 it arrived about 10 days later. I think I'm going to attempt a more complicated multi diode heatsink next time!

Sinkinstalled.jpg

The heatsink was sized to use up as much of the internal space in the host as possible. The collimator end butts right up the optic window and the MOSFET end protrudes down into the host as far as it can without obstructing the holes for the side switch and LEDs.

Finsattached.jpg

Loosewires.jpg

The batteries for this project are two Vapcell A11 18350's. The tail cap switch needed to be modified internally to allow for the extra length of the two batteries over the single 18650 it normally held.

Batteries.jpg

0fbeam1.jpg

0fbeams2.jpg

With the focus set to infinity the G8 only just protrudes past the end of the heatsink and almost touches the underside of the front window.

0fbeams3.jpg

0ffire1.jpg

My first attempt at getting a flame to appear just resulted in the laser burrowing nearly 75% of the way through the wood instead lol

0ffire2.jpg

0ffire3.jpg

There's the flame in looking for!

At 7.9W @ 457nm its my strongest single diode laser build so far. It could have been more but my choice in extra optical components for a slightly lower divergence while being easy to assemble (not hand aligning a C lens pair) means there are measurable loses in the optics. The diode is a NUBM0F with G-Ball intact and is backed by a solid module back half. In front is a G-Ball adapter and a G8 lens in the final assembly. In the picture below there is a stock plastic lens for dust protection while I assemble everything.

0FModule.jpg

Behind the diode and optic stack is a 12mm solid copper rod that has a large flat filed down on it to make a heatsinking shelf for the Astral driver and switching MOSFET.

0-FModuleandsink.jpg

The solid copper heatsink was made by PCBWAY. I sent them a file I drew up in Fusion360 and for $90 it arrived about 10 days later. I think I'm going to attempt a more complicated multi diode heatsink next time!

Sinkinstalled.jpg

The heatsink was sized to use up as much of the internal space in the host as possible. The collimator end butts right up the optic window and the MOSFET end protrudes down into the host as far as it can without obstructing the holes for the side switch and LEDs.

Finsattached.jpg

Loosewires.jpg

The batteries for this project are two Vapcell A11 18350's. The tail cap switch needed to be modified internally to allow for the extra length of the two batteries over the single 18650 it normally held.

Batteries.jpg
Damn that’s sick! Good info on the PCBway custom heatsink purchase! I need a custom heatsink myself as my lathe is down.. the only suggestion I would make is try out a Lazeerer SXD driver, it performs much better and heats up much less.

You’ll be able to push that NUBMOF to 8W easily.. you can also buy a flat lens NUBMOF diode for like $15 more, I’ve had great results with them, I was able to hit 9.2W optical output w/ G2 lens.

But I’m def going to be messaging PCBway for my custom heatsink for Maglite NUBB24 project and my NUBM37-M4A1 Airsoft gun retrofit project.. thanks for the deets

I wasn't joking when I told @loreadarkshade this is the most powerful blue single diode available to public.
Yes it’s a powerful little sucker but I’m still in love with the Osram PLPT9-450LB_E diodes.. they come brand new and have a higher operating temp range. I’d rather take a brand new diode over a “used for who knows how long Nichia diode” that’s been heated to the moon and back for removal purposes. I’ve purchased 8 NUBMOF diodes in the last 6 months and I’ve yet to see ANY consistency among them as I see with the Osram diodes. With 5.5A, I get 8.2-8.4W optical output with the Osram. I’ve got a new driver on its way that should be able to push the Osram to 6A+, so I’m excited to see the results

Yes it’s a powerful little sucker but I’m still in love with the Osram PLPT9-450LB_E diodes.. they come brand new and have a higher operating temp range. I’d rather take a brand new diode over a “used for who knows how long Nichia diode” that’s been heated to the moon and back for removal purposes. I’ve purchased 8 NUBMOF diodes in the last 6 months and I’ve yet to see ANY consistency among them as I see with the Osram diodes. With 5.5A, I get 8.2-8.4W optical output with the Osram. I’ve got a new driver on its way that should be able to push the Osram to 6A+, so I’m excited to see the results
Hmm you must be having a wrong source i obtained a new never soldered nubm0f bank

I also got the Osram but the efficiency is greater on the Nubm0f they are both great diodes only but I have about Osram one is that you need a bigger heatsink for all the wasted heat that could've been optical power.

Last edited:
See now this is the kind of stuff that I am talking about. This is exactly where I hope to be at in the not too far off distant future. I am totallly into this kind of tech nowadays.

See now this is the kind of stuff that I am talking about. This is exactly where I hope to be at in the not too far off distant future. I am totallly into this kind of tech nowadays.

Good luck to you. Unless you have a good understanding of electronics you will have some catching up to do.

Remember safety 1st as that's the most important thing when working with lasers and the rest you will learn in time, all the information you need can be found online. :)

Back