Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUB07 465nm. Gonna love this one fellas!

So I waited in anticipation for my 465nm diode to arrive from DTR.

Pressed it into a heatsink and used a PS to test.
Divergence with Gball is absolutely unacceptable so I decided to remove the can the" proper way" with a vice and pliers.

Anyway I did a real bone headed move and somehow slipped sheering the anode and cathode pins off flush with the bottom of package! I did successfully remove the Gball though. No possible way to solder onto the pins, solder would probably melt and the surface area is nothing.

Not one to give up I came up with a last ditch effort to come up with a fix. Use 24G magnet wire carefully shaped and soldered onto the internal pins that have the bond wires attached. Came very close to it working. One side was successful and all gold bond wire stayed intact but while manuvering the last conductor into position it decided to go willy nilly on me and ripped all the gold Bond wires.

Gotta love this hobby. Kinda like RC planes, its for the persistant only.

All these pics are post bond wires destruction lol

20191102_204711.jpg20191102_204702_Burst10.jpg20191102_210206.jpg

Last edited:

Philipnzw

My deepest condolences for your loss, i too had killed a couple diodes whilst i was testing them incorrectly. That lead to them being shorted and killed. However all of my diodes were cheap ones, their total sum was below a single NUB07 :ROFLMAO:

And such is life, all trial and error.

My deepest condolences for your loss, i too had killed a couple diodes whilst i was testing them incorrectly. That lead to them being shorted and killed. However all of my diodes were cheap ones, their total sum was below a single NUB07 :ROFLMAO:

And such is life, all trial and error.
Condolences for your loss! I love this place!!!
It's easy once you get the knack of it, I pop mine off while in the copper module with a small screwdriver or twist/rock with channel locks in a vise.

Here's a couple of videos. ( Not my personal videos )

Thanks Red! I tried it backwards, trying to save the gball lens for some reason. One slip!

How about heating them? think that would break melt the indium solder? I assume its indium.

OUCH! You might ask Jordan if he can give you a discount on a new diode. He has helped members before that ruined diodes through their own fault. Can't hurt to send him a PM.

OUCH! You might ask Jordan if he can give you a discount on a new diode. He has helped members before that ruined diodes through their own fault. Can't hurt to send him a PM.
Thanks for the thought Paul. Its a potentially high risk hobby and I screwed up. Great guy Jordan is but I feel uncomfortable asking for a discount for something he probably has low margins on anyway.

Just tell him what you did. Then say you'll need to buy another when you can. He may just offer to help. Jordan is a great guy.

I'm sure he would remove the ball lens for you on the next one.

Last edited:
Condolences for your loss! I love this place!!!

Thanks Red! I tried it backwards, trying to save the gball lens for some reason. One slip!

How about heating them? think that would break melt the indium solder? I assume its indium.

I had the same thought but the less heating the better, that and it's really easy once you get the feel for it, if grasping the backing plate in a vise and the can with channel locks then it's a rocking motion that works the best, you can use your hand as a fulcrum and when the diode is already in a copper module a small screwdriver between the module and can cracks it loose, then turn it over and the can falls out, just hold the screwdriver flat against the module threads to avoid gouging them.

This diodes are very strong i still have mine over 2y i added 2 battery's AW direct to the diode to see what will happen and it turned on and i used it without the driver for like 10sec then i added the driver and its still working today :alien:

This diodes are very strong i still have mine over 2y i added 2 battery's AW direct to the diode to see what will happen and it turned on and i used it without the driver for like 10sec then i added the driver and its still working today :alien:

Were they in series? If so, must have been some low current batteries being dragged down substantially. Otherwise, that diode would not have made it.

Last edited:
It was just a regular diode from DTR :cool:
I purchased it to test it and i send some pic's to DTR was 2y ago the diode survived and still lives :alien:

I was talking about the batteries you used. If they were connected in series the forward voltage would have killed the diode unless the current capacity of them was so low they were dragged down as the diode pulled current from them. If they were high current new AW 18650s or larger the diode would not have survived.