Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Now I have done it !

Welcome to the world of the machinist SenKat, although I got out of engineering 15 years ago I have hardly been without a lathe for my own use since.

Put a vertical slide on your christmas list and you can mill with it as well;)

Regards rog8811

The lathe is probably the #1 metal working machine out there.... Great for almost everything! My school has 10, (6 or which are from 1932, and still running strong!) and they are an extremely handy piece of equipment!

I wish I could afford one!

Have fun! And remember, don't hit the chuck with the tool.... lol ;)

Congrats on the lathe...there is a whole sub culture dedicated to modifying that one you bought to make a ultra precision lathe.

cnc kits are readily available as well.

Welcome to the addiction of metal work. Don't forget to remove the chuck key :eek:

Chuck

S

SenKat

photongeek said:
How did you sneak that past your wife??? ;) ;) ;)
LOL !! I said, "Honey - I think I am going to get a lathe !"
Her reply was, "Are you sure you could use one ?"

My THOUGHT was, "DUH !!" What I said was, "Yes, Dear - I am SURE I can make good use of it !"
And the rest is history...........

Congradulations!  I used to use one that was about 8ft long and I loved it.  Could make almost anything you want.   Can't wait to see what you come up with now.  Now you just need a mill and you'll be set:)

Greg --

Congrats on your acquision !!! YES - a lathe is a must have for this work. I have one about like yours and you will love it -- well not like LOVE !!!
:eek:

Harbor freight also has a new smaller lathe for about $250 - bare bones but better than a file and drill press !

Start with simple spacers and heat sinks. -- Mike

your going to love that lathe. In fact you will spend all night and day turning metal. just don't get the turnings in the bed. your wife won't like that

tell me when you start puttin out heatsinks on your site i already bought a laser diode with axis and need a heatsink