Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Novalasers review: Alpha 125 - Lots of beamshots

Okay, now I have been at the post office to get this great laser. So here's the reivew... :)

I didn't actually buy it directly from Nova, I bought it second-hand from a member here called Kostuhoss. He was very fast and responsive to talk to, and I got the laser from him for about 320$. Not that much cheaper than an Alpha 125 directly from Nova, but I got away from the huge shipping and customs fees that woud have been if I would have purchased it from Nova. My X-85 for example, which I bought from Nova, costed me about 190$, but with all shipping and import taxes, I ended up paying about 350$ for it! :eek: So I thought this was a great opportunity to get away with a cheaper price.
  Another thing that made it one hell-of-a deal was that 2 Novalasers safety glasses was included with it! More about those later...

The main reason I bought this was because I wanted something that could replace my X-85, which unfortunatley has died. So I decided to get a little bigger, cooler laser than a pen laser now, but still not something too costly. And I don't regret it at all! It's a great laser, almost my favorite one actually.

SHIPPING AND FIRST IMPRESSION:
This laser was shipped from London to my town in Sweden in 3 shipping days, which in my opinion is really good. It was very well emballaged in a box, in fact it was so covered in strong tape that I had trouble opening it. But I finally got it opened, and below all the foam I saw something. 2 goggles in their cases, and below those: A very good looking aluminum case which contains an even more impressive laser. :p
 My first thoughts about the laser was that it was larger than expected. And the feel when I first got it in my hands: Awesome! Really heavy and sturdy, the first impressions was that this thing wasn't a cheap toy laser, it's the real deal. When holding it, it almost feel like holding a lightsaber hilt. So my first impression of it was really positive.

LASER - PERFORMANCE AND POWER:
This laser works on 2 AA batteries, giving it longer battery lifetime than AAA:s. It has loads of safety features: A keyswitch, safety dongle, aperture shutter, indicator LED and 2-second emission delay. Now that's a lot of safety stuff. :D But In my opinion, it's really positive to have those. I love the feel when turning on the laser, you have to do a little procedure rather than just clicking a button. The only thing I dislike is the safety dongle, which has to be inserted all the time during operation. I don't like the look of a little stick on the laser. But it's not that bad.
 This laser has, according to Nova, an average output of 135mW, and peaks at 150mW. Kind of what you would expect from Nova, but I'm still very pleased with it. I have no LPM to verify those valuse, but I have no doubts about it at all! The beam is definitley brighter than I remember my X-85 to be, and burns faster as well! I can easily pop balloons with it from about 15ft away, much because of the good divergence. When looking through the safety glasses and measuring the beam diameter at 10 meters, it's actually as small as 1,1cm. This should give me an impressive divergence as good as about 1 millirad! A number I am very pleased with.
  But everything has a negative side as well. The laser does not work that when it's cold, it has to be warmed up a little. It flickers a bit when it's really cold. It came with 2 alkalines and I went to a store and bought some extras. But it can only burn well in about 30 minutes or so, then it drops to about the maximum power that my X-85 reached. Although it may not be the laser, I will try some rechargeables to see if they hold their voltage better than alkalines.

SAFETY GLASSES:
I love them. They look very stylish, much better than the wickedlasers lasershades. They look more like sunglasses. I also love the way a 532nm dot appears through them. Its brightness is greatly reduced, and the spot looks more like this than green. It's still so bright that it can be seen across the room with lights on, so you're not tempted to take them off while burning, to see where the dot is. These are simply awesome, no cons at all.

SUMMARY:
All in all I am very pleased with the laser and the goggles, they were both better than expected. I would like to give the goggles a full 5, because I don't have anything at all to complaint about there. The laser will get 4.5 out of 5, because I love almost everything about it, but it is not very stable in cold weather, and I dislike the dongle a little bit.
 Still, I highly recommend the Novalasers Alpha series and their goggles. They are not yet as tried and true as the X-series and could use a little price drop, but looks and feels amazing. I would also like to give a thank to Kostuhoss who sold it to me, for giving me this opportunity to get a great laser like this. :)

It's a sunny day toay, so I will not add beamshots until the evening. But they will come, trust me. :cool:

Here's a pic of the laser in the beautiful case:

Attachments

• Laser20170-600x400.jpg
    Laser20170-600x400.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 197

Re: Novalasers review: Alpha 125!

POST BEAMSHOTS. Enjoy you're laser. I think they should make them in higher outputs, I mean, it has a better heatsink then pen styles, yet NOVA only sells them to 125mW.

My friend just got an Alpha, the divergence is terrible though ~8.0 mrad at about 10 meters its the size of a baseball. I think theres something wrong with the lens though. it's stable at about 130mW and it's a 105

Don't worry - I'm completely addicted to beamshots, so you will get them. ;) I don't have a great camera though - only a phone camera with 3.2 megapix.

8 mRad? :eek: Man, he should send that back for repair or replacement immediatley. I hope mine will be better than that!

Ace82

1st. Edit your original post WITH the review because that's false advertising when we click on the topic. ;)

2nd. As you said you're doing anyway, PICTURES! :p

3rd. I can't wait to see this review!

4th. I have a fairly new x-75 and the thing is great! I love how easy it is to clean the lens. BUT, the divergence isn't the greatest either, I wouldn't say 8Rad, probably 1.75 or 2mm and I'm sure the lens could be better focused for best divergence but that would effect the excellent beam spec around 10' ::) but it's not bad enough for me to want to anything about it. Nova has great service btw. in case you do have a problem.

5th. Enjoy! :)

Re: Novalasers review: Alpha 125 -  Review is now

I couldn't wait with the pics until the evening, so here's a macro shot at the aperture: :cool:

Attachments

• Laser20174-800x600.jpg
    Laser20174-800x600.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 234
Re: Novalasers review: Alpha 125 -  Pics inside

Another beamshot:

Attachments

• Laser20178-600x500.jpg
    Laser20178-600x500.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 204

The beam fluorescing on a bowling pin: :D

Attachments

• Laser20176-600x400.jpg
    Laser20176-600x400.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 179

damn! that laser is awesome! now i want one! lol

laserlover said:
damn! that laser is awesome! now i want one! lol

Yea, I always think the same as well when I'm reading peoples's reviews. :)

OK folks, ye asked for beamshots, you will get them. ;) I can't find out how to put all the pics in one post, so I will spread them into several posts. I hope you don't mind about that.

Beamshot during the day, no smoke used:

Attachments

• Laser20171-600x400.jpg
    Laser20171-600x400.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 165

...And another viewing towards the aperture, smoke from some lit matches was used:

Attachments

• Laser20184-600x400.jpg
    Laser20184-600x400.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 186

Blasting my neighbor's house with photons. :D

Attachments

• Laser20186-600x400.jpg
    Laser20186-600x400.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 199

The beam ripping through the clear sky in darkest night:

That's all the good pics I've taken for now. :)

Attachments

• Laser20181-600x400.jpg
    Laser20181-600x400.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 189

ixfd64

Re: Novalasers review: Alpha 125 - Lots of beamsho

Man, I want an "Alpha 125" really bad.

Re: Novalasers review: Alpha 125 - Lots of beamsho

very good pictures ;) iam happy to see my baby in good hands :) and if you dont like this dongle thing there is tutorial on this site how to take it off..